Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: North Texas vs FAU - 02/11/12 @ 7:00PM

Add topic

Re: GAME THREAD: North Texas vs FAU - 02/11/12 @ 7:00PM

GAME THREAD: North Texas vs FAU - 02/11/12 @ 7:00PM

One thing that's different now, is that the amount of students who show up to every game has drastically improved. Also, the number of students who stand up and cheer/boo/yell is vastly improved. It used to be that it'd take a free t-shirt of FIU game for that many students to show up. Nice to see, but I still wish it was fuller. I normally sit at the top of the old people side but this time I sat in the front row of GA and I had old people telling me to sit down so they could see at the game's end. I turned around and said "No, I can't sit down for this." They probably didn't like that very much,lol. But then I just moved down the the lower level seating so they could see over me.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Sadly, those kids have very short memories and last weekend against FIU was a slap in the face, but I tell you what, the students who attended the Denver and Unt games will be talking about this for a long time. Those are probably the most exciting back to back games Ive seen em play.

I agree best back to back games I've seen…most exciting for sure.

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I turned around and said "No, I can't sit down for this."

:D

That's great!
Back to the top

Omar Grier

Hi All,
Just a quick question?  When players do a great job for the team as well as the University, why does the Coach stop them from playing? I have followed the career of Grier, and have found him to be a standout on the court. I did follow the first 12 or so games and found that he really did "rock the House". But now, I have read little on playing time for him.  Did something happen? I say this because I did not know if it was a grades issue or attitude adjustment or even possibly a disagreement with the Coach. Whatever the case, can the kid get some playing time? He deserves it and can only get better with more playing time.
Back to the top

Towards the end of his playing stint, he began to miss many shots. He also has very poor defense. His position is EXTREMELY clogged (Gant, Richardson, Mavin, Bertone) so it is hard to get him minutes.

He cannot create his own shot and needs a screen or two to get him open. He does see some minutes when we need a three/big score though.

Scoring is not everything, in fact it is a very small part of the game.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Re: Omar Grier

lyndee65 said

Hi All,
Just a quick question?  When players do a great job for the team as well as the University, why does the Coach stop them from playing? I have followed the career of Grier, and have found him to be a standout on the court. I did follow the first 12 or so games and found that he really did "rock the House". But now, I have read little on playing time for him.  Did something happen? I say this because I did not know if it was a grades issue or attitude adjustment or even possibly a disagreement with the Coach. Whatever the case, can the kid get some playing time? He deserves it and can only get better with more playing time.

It comes down to how they prepare in practice.  Most coaches do the same thing.  The best way to get into the game at FAU is to play great defense in practice.

Most college players can have great scoring streaks.  Few play consistent defense.
Back to the top

To add, posted this a week ago…

Rick said

Love Grier…not exactly sure what the dealio is with his performance, but it appears the same thing that happened to Shavar: take away the "purpose" with no time and display no confidence in him to work through matters, and he will have none when getting on the court in a desperation attempt to salvage a game (tonight).

Against Miami he played more minutes than anyone: 47. Result was 27 points.

Consistency took a dive the next game against Harvard when he tossed up a 1-7 FG, 1-6 3PT showing in 35 minutes, although he got another chance and rebounded against Siena when he connected on 4-of-10 from long range in 29 minutes.

But then playing time dropped off with 9 minutes against ULL (0-of-2), 17 minutes against ULM (2-of-7 3PT), and 4 minutes against UALR (0-2) in the game we scored 38 total points.

From there he's barely played (2-3 minutes a game on average) aside from getting 14 minutes against MTSU where he had 2 points on 1-of-4 shooting.

Guess the bottom line is that he will have to make the most of his opportunities when he does get in to turn the Coaching staffs' head again.

Back to the top
Control functions: