Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: ODU @ FAU - January 10, 2019

Add topic

Owls Return to The Burrow to Face ODU

What: Old Dominion (11-4, 1-1) vs. FAU (10-5, 1-1)

When: Thursday, Jan. 10th @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where: The Burrow

Series: The Monarchs own a 7-1 record over the Owls. FAU’s lone victory came via a 14 point comeback in Norfolk.

TV: None

Live Video: ESPN+(FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

ODU Team Site: Here

Monarchs at a Glance:

Offense – 66.6 PPG, 42% FG, 36% 3PT

Defense - 58.1 PPGA, 37% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.8 PG, 34.3 PG Opponents

Notables

Old Dominion comes into Boca having gone 7-1 since December. During that stretch, the Monarchs made national headlines with their 17-point comeback over rival VCU, an upset of national power Syracuse, and a 21-point comeback against WKU last Saturday. The lone loss came against defending conference champion Marshall.

The 2017-2018 All-Conference First Team PG Ahmed Caver is in his senior season at ODU. The Atlanta native’s 3.44 assist-to-turnover ratio is 13th in the nation, ahead of nationally known names such as Michigan’s Zavier Simpson and Oklahoma’s Jamal Bieniemy. Caver finished 11th in the nation in ATTR last season, beating out national phenom Trae Young.

SG B.J. Stith and Caver both hold positions in C-USA’s top-ten PPG at 18.8 PPG (#7) and 17.3 PPG (#10) respectively. On the other side of that same coin, this top two scorers give way to one of ODU’s few weaknesses: their scoring depth. ODU’s third leading scorer SG Xavier Green averages 8.1 points despite playing an average of 29.5 minutes per game.

The Monarchs make up for their lack of scoring depth with their strong defense. Their 58.1 opponent’s PPG is the fifth best in the nation.

Owls at a Glance:

Offense – 72.5 PPG, 41% FG, 30% 3PT

Defense - 68.3 PPGA, 41% FGA, 29% 3PTA

Rebounding - 41.5 PG, 36.5 PG Opponents

Notables

Last time out, the Owls got their first win over Middle Tennessee since 2011. The victory gave Dusty May his first C-USA win, and drew the Owls even on conference slate.

That game saw the return of SF Xavian Stapleton, who brings some much-needed depth to the #3 position after Jailyn Ingram tore his ACL in December. This bit of good news is not without a setback, as Freshman Jaylen Sebree’s season is cut short with a torn labrum, which he suffered the game before against UAB.

Despite the slew of injuries, Dusty May’s Owls have battled hard for the program’s earliest double-digit win season since the 2010-2011 season, which ended in a Sun Belt Regular Season Championship and an NIT invite.

Offensively, the Owls rely heavily on PG/SG Anthony Adger, whose 33 points vs. Middle Tennessee set a new career record. The Senior’s 36.7% 3Pt puts him in the top-five of the conference’s best three-point shooters.

Playing a strong defensive side like ODU, the Owls will have to make the most of their possessions. Limiting turnovers and staying out of foul trouble will be key. Do not expect the Owls to earn many extra possessions along the boards, as the Monarchs come to The Burrow as the #2 rebounding team in C-USA. FAU is the conference’s top rebounding team but have slumped to #8 when only counting conference play.

Opening Line: FAU +5.5

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Yikes, the line has already moved to FAU +7.5.  Safe to assume Vegas heard about Sebree's shoulder.

Back to the top

The Owls face a strong test in today's Conference USA home opener vs Old Dominion.  The Monarchs won at Syracuse in non-conference play and defeated a strong VCU team. Old Dominion is a team with lots of length, so it will be an interesting match up in the paint.  Once again the Owls will be relying on G Anthony Adger for a bulk of its offensive production.  F Xavian Stapleton will once again be on a minutes restriction as he works his way back from injury.  Freshmen F Jaylen Sebree is out for the season with an arm injury.  The Owls will need some production from the young wings (Cedric Jackson, Kevaughn Ellis) to stay competitive with a very talented Old Dominion club.  Look for the Owls to feed the ball inside to improving big man Karlis Sillins, who looked very impressive recently vs Middle Tennessee and Illinois.  The Owls will need to protect the basketball, and control the turnover battle. This has been a struggle for FAU to begin the season.  

If the Owls can control the pace, make progress with perimeter shooting, they can keep this game close with a heavily favored Old Dominion club.  See you in The Burrow tonight.
Back to the top

Definitely going. Biggest home game of the year. Solid opponent. Our two best players out for the year.

Hoping for a dog fight.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Smaller Starting Five for Dusty May's Owls. This is to counter a smaller lineup from ODU.

Back to the top

Wondering why we haven't posted an update yet? We have only seen one stoppage since the tipoff. It's been constance action here at The Burrow.

Back to the top

We keep getting these football scores at the media breaks.  :Laughing:

Back to the top

This is a nice run the the Owls are riding. Lest we forget that ODU gave up a 21-0 run to start their game vs. WKU before storming back for the victory.

Back to the top

We've hit the final media stoppage before the half. Shame, I don't want this half to end. Any break in the action could be enough to end the Owls stellar shooting run.

Back to the top

We've hit the half-way-point from at The Burrow. ODU has pulled within single digits to make this a game again.

Back to the top
Control functions: