Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: Rice @ FAU - February 16, 2019

Add topic

FAU Hoops Takes on Rice in Final Game Before C-USA Bonus Play

What: Rice (10-16, 5-8) vs. Florida Atlantic (15-11, 6-7)

When: Saturday, February 16 @ 2:00 PM

Where: FAU Arena

Series: Rice holds a 4-2 edge, winning all three games played at The Burrow. The two teams split last year's meetings, with each team using a buzzer-beater to win on the other's home floor.

Video: CUSA.tv (FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Rice Team Site: Here

Rice at a Glance:

Offense – 75.4 PPG, 44% FG, 35% 3PT

Defense – 78.8 PPGA, 45% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.0 PG, 36.1 PG Opponents

Notables

Losers of three of their last four, Rice comes to Boca Raton in hopes of sneaking into the middle-pod. Last time out, the Owls from Houston fell to FIU 86-65.

Rice has four players averaging double-figures, led by C-USA Freshman of the Year candidate Chris Mullins with 12.3 PPG.

Junior guard Ako Adams is second on the team with 11.8 PPG, which includes an impressive 40.3% from three, good for eighth in the league. He also leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, shooting 90% from the charity stripe.

Another impressive freshman, guard Trey Murphy III is second in the conference in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 42.7%.

Rice is one of the best rebounding teams in C-USA thanks to Jack Williams and Robert Martin. Both average double digits in scoring while hauling in 7.9 and 6.3 RPG respectively.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense – 72.1 PPG, 41% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 69.1 PPGA, 42% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 40.0 PG, 35.3 PG Opponents

Notables

FAU will enter Saturday's game as the #8 seed in C-USA. A win guarantees the Owls a spot in the second pod for Bonus Play. Moreover, an FAU win would make Head Coach Dusty May the winningest first year head coach since moving to Division I.

This was all set up by FAU's surprising 57-47 upset victory over North Texas on Thursday. In that contest, Anthony Adger led with 15 points, while grabbing five boards and dishing out four assists. Karlis Silins tied his career-high in points with 14.

FAU is led by senior guard Anthony Adger, with 16.9 points, good for 10th in the league. He is fourth in C-USA in three-point field goals made per game (3.1) and eighth in free throw percentage (82.0%).

Graduate forward Xavian Stapleton is second on the team with 12.9 points and 4.9 rebounds. He is also connecting on 37.7% from beyond the arc to lead the team.

As a team, FAU leads Conference USA in rebounding and is second in the league in free throw percentage, connecting on 74% from the charity stripe.

Opening Line: FAU -7

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Owls win this game but I might have taken the points at -7 😉

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Well that was fast…The line has moved DOWN to FAU -5.5. A bit surprising considering the Owls' 14-point upset against the spread on Thursday.

Back to the top

should be a fun crowd....I can always make the Sat afternoon games....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Such a beautiful day on campus! The students are tailgating outside The Burrow. Hopefully they'll make their way in to support the boys in the final game before Bonus Play.

Back to the top

Dusty May is sticking with the same staring lineup for the fourth straight game. The Owls are 2-1 during that stretch.

Back to the top

So-so crowd on hand at The Burrow. Seems like the students are still tailgating outside…

Back to the top

This game hasn't been pretty thus far. At least Lepichev is having a solid day.

Back to the top

Bad news: We're not having the best day shooting.

Good news: Rice are having a much worse day shooting.

Back to the top

I'm so pumped from that first half, I didn't even notice that I said "defense effort" instead of "defensive effort."

Sorry y'all, but strong defensive play really gets me going.  :Laughing:

Back to the top
Control functions: