Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TOURNAMENT THREAD: FAU in Boca Raton Beach Classic - Nov 29th to Dec 4th, 2019

Add topic

The Owls begin a season-long six-game homestand against Holy Cross on Friday in inaugural Boca Raton Beach Classic

What: 2019 Boca Raton Beach Classic

When: November 29th to December 4th, 2019

The Teams: FAU, Holy Cross, UIC, St. Bonaventure, San Diego, Canisius

Where: Abessinio Court at FAU Arena

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

The Owls' Tournament Schedule

Game #1: FAU vs Holy Cross Nov 29th @ 7:00 PM
Game #2: FAU vs UIC Dec 1st @ 6:00 PM
Game #3: FAU vs St. Bonaventure/San Diego Dec 2nd @ TBD
Game #4: FAU vs Canisius Dec 4th @ 7:00 PM

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 73 PPG, 42% FG, 29% 3PT

Defense - 77 PPGA, 47% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding -  39 RPG Owls, 35 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Owls begin a season-long six-game homestand against Holy Cross on Friday, Nov. 29. The contest is part of the inaugural Boca Raton Beach Classic. The elimination portion of the tournament will be held on Dec. 1 and 2, with FAU wrapping up the event against Canisius on Dec. 4. The Owls will be wearing their new "Paradise Vice" for all four contests. Friday's contest will be the first ever meeting between the Owls and the Crusaders.  

FAU (2-3) lost to Florida Gulf Coast, 72-70, in overtime last Wednesday night. The Eagles hit a jumper just before time expired to take the win. Michael Forrest led the Owls with 16 points, the fifth different FAU player to lead the team in scoring is as many games this season.

Holy Cross at a Glance

Offense - 67 PPG, 42% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 87 PPGA, 50% FGA, 39 % 3PTA

Rebounding -  32 RPG Crusaders, 39 RPG Opponents

Notables

Holy Cross (0-5) is making its first trip outside of the Northeast for the tournament. Representing the Patriot League are the Crusaders, who are still looking for their first win of the season. Bret Nelson was named as the new head coach in the offseason, after spending the past three seasons as an assistant and Marquette. Holy Cross began the season losing to 71-95 to Maryland, and have followed that up with losses to New Hampshire, Fairfield, Northeastern and Harvard. They are led by true freshmen G Drew Lowder, who is averaging 16 PPG. Keep an eye on sophomore F Marlon Hargis who scored 19 points in the recent loss to Harvard.

UIC at a Glance

Offense - 75 PPG, 46% FG, 35% 3PT

Defense - 75 PPGA, 42% FGA, 34 3PTA

Rebounding -  35 RPG Crusaders, 37 RPG Opponents

Notables

UIC (2-5) enters The Boca Beach Classic searching for consistency, with their only DIvision I win being at home against Robert Morris. The Flames have one of the most electric back courts in the Horizon League, featuring G Tarkus Ferguson (16 PPG), G Marcus Ottey (15 PPG) and ^ Godwin Boahen (16 PPG). Entering his 4th season at the helm, head coach Steve McClain has led the flames to one CBI and one CIT appearance.

St. Bonaventure at a Glance

Offense - 62 PPG, 38% FG, 28% 3PT

Defense - 65 PPGA, 42% FGA, 28% 3PTA

Rebounding -  34 RPG Bonnies, 37 RPG Opponents

Notables

St. Bonaventure (2-4) is not off to the start they had hoped for. The two wins are over Rutgers and Mercer. However the Bonnies still have time to get back on track before Atlantic 10 play begins in early January. St. Bonaventure is led by Kyle Lofton, who is averaging 14 PPG to begin the season. Last year, Lofton was named to the All-Atlantic 10 Rookie Team. Head COach Mark Schmidt is entering his 13th season as head coach of the Bonnies, with their most recent post season appearance being the NCAA Tournament in 2018.

San Diego at a Glance

Offense - 66 PPG, 41% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 71 PPGA, 44% FGA, 28% 3PTA

Rebounding -  32 RPG Toreros, 36 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Toreros (4-5) are currently riding a 3 game losing streak, after earning wins over Fresno State and Weber State in the early going. San Diego is led by rising sophomore Joey Calcaterra, who is averaging 15 PPG. Last year, first year head coach Sam Scholl led San DIego to a 21-15 record and a postseason trip to the NIT. After sitting out last season due to transfer rules, G Braun Hartfield scored 25 points in a loss to Hofstra. Hartfield began his career at Youngstown State, where he started 43 games.

Canisius at a Glance

Offense - 73 PPG, 46% FG, 36% 3PT

Defense - 72 PPGA, 45% FGA, 35 % 3PTA

Rebounding -  33 RPG Griffins, 32 RPG Opponents

Notables

Canisus (3-2) if off to a mediocre start to begin the season. However, the team does have wins over Bucknell and St. Bonaventure. The Canisus offense features talented G Malik Johnson, who is averaging 15 PPG. The senior was named to the Preseason ALL-MAAC 2nd team. Inside, F Jacco Fritz has played well given his expanded playing time, including a 12 point, 10 rebound performance against Hofstra. Third year head coach Reggie Witherspoon has led the Griffins to a CIT and CBI performance in his first two seasons.
Back to the top

WOW! The Paradise Vice jerseys look just as good as advertised!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

HALFTIME. Owls lead Holy Cross 41-21.

Let's take this TO THE BANK!

Back to the top

While it's nice to see us shooting the three with great success, it's impossible to continue at this pace. We'll have to start settling for easy mid-range and in-the-paint shots in order to hold on in the second half.

Back to the top

Oy vey… it’s starting to feel like deja vu.

Owls see a 24 point early second half lead cut to 12 with about 13 minutes left.

Moreover, Jaylen Sebree is off the court with an injury to his knee. Kid can’t catch a break.

Back to the top

Huge play from Silins to stop a Holy Cross run!

Back to the top

OMG. This slam could be felt from Tampa!

Back to the top

Holy Cross freshman guard Drew Lowder IS THE REAL DEAL! He didn't play in the first half, but he made his presence known in the second.

The kid went 5-7 FG for 14 points in 15 minutes of play. He definitely didn't look injured, so he may have sat the first half because of a suspension we didn't hear about.

Back to the top

Final. FAU beats Holy Cross 87-69.

Our best performance yet this year. Just thankful we were able to hold onto the lead! Let's hope this starts our first win streak of the campaign!

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019-20 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

FAU aggressive from the three point line early, as 10 of the Owls first 15 shots were from three point range. Owls off to a decent start from the free throw line, starting off 7 of 9. Fall shooting could be the difference if this game stays close. Good to see Jailyn Ingram in action. Ingram tweaked his hamstring against Holy Cross on Friday. The veteran is getting minutes early in this one.

Back to the top
Control functions: