Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2007 Marching Owls

Add topic

2007 Marching Owls

2007 Marching Owls

So FAUtuba or DMarkey how's it looking for this season?
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

We're all getting pretty excited about the up coming season. Right now I'm trying to get a group together to play for Fan Fest. Its still iffy if we'll be there because its a week earlier then usual. After that we'll be starting our Preseason Training the week of the 20th. That will give us 2 weeks to teach basics, music, the pre-game, and the first half-time show. We where able to buy a couple of new brass instruments this year. We are still a little unsure on the numbers at this time. As for show themes this year, the only one I know for sure is an Earth, Wind, and Fire show. I think we may also do a few '80s and '70s funk shows. I hope to see you all at Fan Fest, I'll be the one with a red and blue shovel and maybe a brand new sousaphone around my neck.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

I don't mean to be rude in the slightest but 75 is somewhat low. I once heard someone state that a general rule for marching band numbers was about 10% of a school's student population. In the case of FAU that would work out to roughly 250 or so members and for most schools that seems to be the case as well. I'm sure that as FAU develops those numbers are bound to skyrocket but I'm still rather curious about what the general feeling surrounding the band is. Is there an issue with numbers simply because the band is young? For that matter, how old is FAU's marching band exactly? I'd also be rather interested in the sound, can FAU compete against the sheer size of more established bands?

And yes, I'm a bit of a band nerd. Other USF posters seem to really care little about their own band even being in attendance but I just couldn't imagine the atmosphere being nearly the same without them.

That and I used to do the marching band thing a few years back in high school.

Again, no offense intended, just curious about the general feeling surrounding the marching owls.
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

You come onto another team's board and throw out disguised insults and expect to get away with it?

You clearly know squat about what it takes to create a college marching band from scratch at a school that is just developing a successful I-A program.

The people in this band bust their tails for hours a day to put on entertaining show - a new one for each home game, something some major bands do not do. They sound larger than they are and they are always the loudest cheering section and section most into the games. Without the band, FAU games would be much less attractive events.

As the on-campus population continues to soar, new dorms, shopping/entertainment and stadiums are built, the football and basketball teams gain greater notoriety, as the school funds away trips and recruiting performances at regional high school events, the band will grow into the hundreds and be regarded as one of FAU's highlights.
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

thebrazenbull said

I don't mean to be rude in the slightest but 75 is somewhat low. I once heard someone state that a general rule for marching band numbers was about 10% of a school's student population. In the case of FAU that would work out to roughly 250 or so members and for most schools that seems to be the case as well. I'm sure that as FAU develops those numbers are bound to skyrocket but I'm still rather curious about what the general feeling surrounding the band is. Is there an issue with numbers simply because the band is young? For that matter, how old is FAU's marching band exactly? I'd also be rather interested in the sound, can FAU compete against the sheer size of more established bands?

And yes, I'm a bit of a band nerd. Other USF posters seem to really care little about their own band even being in attendance but I just couldn't imagine the atmosphere being nearly the same without them.

That and I used to do the marching band thing a few years back in high school.

Again, no offense intended, just curious about the general feeling surrounding the marching owls.

I don't mean to be rude in the slightest but maybe you should get an education at FAU because 10% would be 2600. I think you meant 1%…but who is counting.
Just busting your chops, Brazen ;D
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

You kind of answered your own questions there Bull. 75 is a low number compared to the membership of bands in the NCAA. In fact, we only have about 50 members again this year. We are very young and have had a few shaky years in there. Because some people have asked before I'll give a quick rundown of the band's history and set backs as I understand them:

The first version of the marching band was formed for the 2002 season. However, the band was given a very small budget and could not afford to buy instruments, pay a full time director, and buy proper uniforms (they wore Hawaiian shirts as uniforms). Because the budget they were given was not enough the band was scraped for the 2004 season until enough money was raised for a proper marching band. Enter President Brogan: When Brogan saw no university marching band take the field his first year as president, he found the money in the university budgets to fully fund the marching band. Meaning that for the 2005 season the University would have its own band again (named the Fighting Owl Marching Band), with its own instruments, marching uniforms, and its first full time director of athletic bands. This also meant as the Owls entered their 2005 season they would not be the only Div. 1-A school with out a marching band. After the 2005 season however, the director was fired and replaced with the current director and the name was also changed from FOMB to Marching Owls. The band completed a successful 2006 season, even seeing a fraternity form thats goal is to assist the bands program. However, all state university budgets were cut in the summer of 2007 and universities across Florida had to cut back. The large amount of money set aside for the band had been taken away by the budget cuts and will impair some of the plans that were set for the 2007 football season, including but not limited to traveling to the UF game. Personally I know that the band will overcome this and one day, maybe within the next 20 years (because thats how long it will take to build up any band in Florida), we will be as big as USF and UCF(they just broke 300 members after 26 years).

I'm glad to hear that the Herd Of Thunder will be bringing their entire band to Lockhart on Oct. 6th.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

You gotta start somewhere!!! ;)
We may have humble beginnings, but the future looks bright. 8-)

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

FAUtuba said

I'm glad to hear that the Herd Of Thunder will be bringing their entire band to Lockhart on Oct. 6th.

FAUtuba,

Thanks for the clear, professional and classy response to bulls questions. You truly represent FAU in a positive lite. Thanks again for taking the time, feeling the pride and carrying the passion.

Can't wait to hear you guys on Saturday.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

Really, Marshall is coming, too?

Nice post, Tuba. You're too kind.

Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

Illinoisowl said it best.
Back to the top
Control functions: