Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2007 Marching Owls

Add topic

2007 Marching Owls

2007 Marching Owls

fauowl said

I don't mean to be rude in the slightest but maybe you should get an education at FAU because 10% would be 2600. I think you meant 1%…but who is counting.
Just busting your chops, Brazen ;D

Haha, yeahh….

You'll have to cut me a little slack though. As I recall, I hadn't gotten any sleep in about 48 hours when I had written that, the start of the semester is killing me.

Thank you for the excellent response FAUtuba

From the stop and start history of the program I can see it's just an issue of time. Having the porgram be forced to practically start form scratch is naturally going to have a debilitating effect on numbers but with the program getting on track then the future should look bright. I also tend to think it's not going to take anywhere near 20 years for your numbers to climb up to the 300 mark or so, my impression is that it'll definitely happen sometime in the next 10 years at least as long as some continuity is established. I can't speak for UCF but I do know that the Herd of Thunder was only formed in 99 or so, with steady leadership the Marching Owls will experience similar numbers in the years to come.

Looking forward to seeing both teams and both bands take the field at Lockhart this year!
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

FAUtuba said

You kind of answered your own questions there Bull. 75 is a low number compared to the membership of bands in the NCAA. In fact, we only have about 50 members again this year. We are very young and have had a few shaky years in there. Because some people have asked before I'll give a quick rundown of the band's history and set backs as I understand them:

The first version of the marching band was formed for the 2002 season. However, the band was given a very small budget and could not afford to buy instruments, pay a full time director, and buy proper uniforms (they wore Hawaiian shirts as uniforms). Because the budget they were given was not enough the band was scraped for the 2004 season until enough money was raised for a proper marching band. Enter President Brogan: When Brogan saw no university marching band take the field his first year as president, he found the money in the university budgets to fully fund the marching band. Meaning that for the 2005 season the University would have its own band again (named the Fighting Owl Marching Band), with its own instruments, marching uniforms, and its first full time director of athletic bands. This also meant as the Owls entered their 2005 season they would not be the only Div. 1-A school with out a marching band. After the 2005 season however, the director was fired and replaced with the current director and the name was also changed from FOMB to Marching Owls. The band completed a successful 2006 season, even seeing a fraternity form thats goal is to assist the bands program. However, all state university budgets were cut in the summer of 2007 and universities across Florida had to cut back. The large amount of money set aside for the band had been taken away by the budget cuts and will impair some of the plans that were set for the 2007 football season, including but not limited to traveling to the UF game. Personally I know that the band will overcome this and one day, maybe within the next 20 years (because thats how long it will take to build up any band in Florida), we will be as big as USF and UCF(they just broke 300 members after 26 years).

I'm glad to hear that the Herd Of Thunder will be bringing their entire band to Lockhart on Oct. 6th.

so, if you had to sum up the reason the numbers are low…would you say it is administrative (funding, backing, recruiting, infrastructure) or lack of interest form potential candidates? i for one would absolutely LOVE to see the numbers climb sky high :)
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

I'm a little disappointed that the number has stayed the same since two years ago :( It would have been nice to have had a steady increase to about 75 members by now :(

It due time, it's bound to happen.

You guy do make a difference - keep-up the good work.

Go Owl!!
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

Florida_Owl said

FAUtuba said

You kind of answered your own questions there Bull. 75 is a low number compared to the membership of bands in the NCAA. In fact, we only have about 50 members again this year. We are very young and have had a few shaky years in there. Because some people have asked before I'll give a quick rundown of the band's history and set backs as I understand them:

The first version of the marching band was formed for the 2002 season. However, the band was given a very small budget and could not afford to buy instruments, pay a full time director, and buy proper uniforms (they wore Hawaiian shirts as uniforms). Because the budget they were given was not enough the band was scraped for the 2004 season until enough money was raised for a proper marching band. Enter President Brogan: When Brogan saw no university marching band take the field his first year as president, he found the money in the university budgets to fully fund the marching band. Meaning that for the 2005 season the University would have its own band again (named the Fighting Owl Marching Band), with its own instruments, marching uniforms, and its first full time director of athletic bands. This also meant as the Owls entered their 2005 season they would not be the only Div. 1-A school with out a marching band. After the 2005 season however, the director was fired and replaced with the current director and the name was also changed from FOMB to Marching Owls. The band completed a successful 2006 season, even seeing a fraternity form thats goal is to assist the bands program. However, all state university budgets were cut in the summer of 2007 and universities across Florida had to cut back. The large amount of money set aside for the band had been taken away by the budget cuts and will impair some of the plans that were set for the 2007 football season, including but not limited to traveling to the UF game. Personally I know that the band will overcome this and one day, maybe within the next 20 years (because thats how long it will take to build up any band in Florida), we will be as big as USF and UCF(they just broke 300 members after 26 years).

I'm glad to hear that the Herd Of Thunder will be bringing their entire band to Lockhart on Oct. 6th.

so, if you had to sum up the reason the numbers are low…would you say it is administrative (funding, backing, recruiting, infrastructure) or lack of interest form potential candidates? i for one would absolutely LOVE to see the numbers climb sky high :)

A little from column A and a little from column B. Every college band has a number that they have a hard time getting over. UCF was stuck around 250 for awhile. Its unfortunate that it looks like ours is very early. I have faith in those that lead the band that things will work out and we will not just have a big sound but a big membership too.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

FAUtuba said

Florida_Owl said

A little from column A and a little from column B. Every college band has a number that they have a hard time getting over. UCF was stuck around 250 for awhile. Its unfortunate that it looks like ours is very early. I have faith in those that lead the band that things will work out and we will not just have a big sound but a big membership too.

it will happen…hang in there! once they announce the stadium, that will help dramatically ;)
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

Owl, did you get my messages?
Back to the top

2007 Marching Owls

BMarkey said

Owl, did you get my messages?

yes, and i responded…….
Back to the top

Re: 2007 Marching Owls

I think the band looks really good this year! Hopefully by next year there will be at least 10 more to beef up the group a little more!
Back to the top

They did a really nice job at Joe Robbie.

They work their tails off and deserve more attention.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

They did a really nice job at Joe Robbie.

They work their tails off and deserve more attention.

That they do.

I wish they'd change their name back to the Fighting Owl Marching Band.

Speaking of Fighting Owls, I think it's making a comeback. I saw new shirts in the bookstore saying FAU Fighting Owls and on the Oxley Shovels that Florida_Owl posted there is the term "Fighting Owls"…

I know a lot of people that are attached to the idea of Fighting Owls so I hope it IS making a comeback.
Back to the top
Control functions: