Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Foam Party 2009

Add topic

FAU Foam Party 2009

I was looking on Youtube for more highlites of the Nebraska game and found this.

Looks like fun.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Re: FAU Foam Party 2009

illinoisowl said

I was looking on Youtube for more highlites of the Nebraska game and found this.

Looks like fun.

The Foam Party was amazing. One of the best events I've ever been to at FAU. They do this every Fall semester for the freshmen during Weeks of Welcome; I got a call from a friend last year saying it was awesome and so this year I made a point to stop by. I thought I'd be there 15 minutes and ended up hanging out three hours.

The event was held on a Friday from 10 pm to 2 am in that grass event space with the tall hedges behind the Student Union (UC). Before you could enter, however, you had to sign a personal liability waiver in the Live Oak Pavilion and get an X marked on your hand.

When you get inside, they had tables with glow-in-the-dark paint, a DJ's station on a stage, a 20-30' long inflatable ring with walls that they poured foam into from two machines, an inflatable tower with a slide, an inflatable slip'n'slide tunnel and tall stage light set-up with black lights and strobe lights. The DJ was playing club music, mostly hip-hop type of stuff, and people packed in front of that to dance. Students were pouring in by the hundreds so by midnight you could barely move there. The inflatable tower with the slide had a long line because, among other reasons, the people were all wet and kept falling down the ladder you had to climb to get up to the top of the slide. Over at the slip'n'slide tunnel, people were running full speed and jumping in two at a time. I saw one fraternity send in like eight or ten guys who all crashed into each other at the end of the slide (there was a wall at the end so you had to exit to the side). This one girl lost her top at the end. Good times.

Speaking of losing tops, the foam pit was pretty crazy. It started with people dancing and chanting "FAU! FAU!", then girls went up on dude's shoulders and that became a series of spirited chickenfights. The chickenfights gave way to girl-girl wrestling matches on the foam pit floor, which unfortunately then became wrestling matches between dudes in jeans, including – although I'm not 100% on this – freshman OL Chris Chappell. The whole time up to this, people had been getting so wet that they just took off their wifebeaters and whatnot and threw them straight into the air, so shirts were flying down all over the place.

Well, the wet shirts often landed outside the pit where the dudes who were too cool to go in the pit would ball them up and throw them like a baseball at people in the pit. About 1 am, this caused an all out warzone to erupt in the foam pit where people were balling up the shirts like it was a south florida snowball fight and chucking them at each other. I took a shot to the head and to the nuts even when I wasn't in the pit. When things got serious like that, all the girls headed out, leaving a bunch of wannabe badasses throwing shirts at each other. One reached the DJ's booth where they turned off the music and said, "Yo I don't give a damn what's happenin' over in that pit but don't throw your shirts up here to hit the equipment. Not cool."

I left shortly afterwards. They had announced that anyone who left wouldn't be allowed back in without an FAU ID and when I got out, it was easy to see why. Hundreds of people were lined up outside waiting to get in, many of them clearly not students. On the way to my car, I was asked three times "I ain't from here. Where the party at?"

So all in all, a great night.

FYI, they're doing a "drive-in movie" on Thursday for the X-men spinoff, "Wolverine:Origins." It's going to be in the new parking lot just north of the Alumni center. I don't think you can actually park your car there though. I think they're going to do a projection screen and speakers, with everyone bringing lawn chairs. Didn't make it to the last one so I'm not 100% on that. Maybe someone else can fill us in.
Back to the top
Control functions: