Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Students to Hold "Parking Protest" On Tuesday

Add topic

Re: FAU Students to Hold "Parking Protest" On Tuesday

Plenty of parking at the Oxley when i go there...a bit of a walk, but still!
Back to the top

I just rode by the protest on my bike. Look for it on the news tonight. I saw the channel 5, 25 and I think 12 trucks out there. It looked like everyone was just walking by and not really paying attention.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I just rode by the protest on my bike. Look for it on the news tonight. I saw the channel 5, 25 and I think 12 trucks out there. It looked like everyone was just walking by and not really paying attention.

Wow, getting some pub!
Back to the top

Palm Beach Post weighs in…

Dustin Balmuth, a senior international business major, came up with the idea to start a Facebook page about the parking situation and sell T-shirts that say, "Top 10 Reasons Why I'm Late For Class," with all 10 slots saying, "FAU's Parking."

"Originally I just wanted to sell the T-shirts to be funny," he said. "But then I started thinking that maybe we could turn this into something bigger."

Balmuth and two of his fellow business students, Neil Parsont and Yaron Bloch, each put in about $1,000 of their own money to pay for 1,000 T-shirts, and fliers and posters around campus.

Full Story
Back to the top

There are reasons and there are excuses...sounds like an excuse AND the clever ploy of a business student to make a little money

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Looks like a small showing at best…too bad the TV Stations saddled up the wagons and camped out for 40-50 mainstay protestors…….

"Although many students say parking is a problem, the protest generated a light turnout, about 40 to 50 people who participated, with dozens more stopping by briefly to see what was going on."

Light Turn Out
Back to the top

Parking problems are just part of the college experience.  A lot of schools don't even let new students have cars, so these students need to think about that.  And the "It's hot and I don't want to walk" excuse is horrible, it makes everyone look like the stereotypical "Boca brat".  I'm sure parking has gotten a lot worse since I was there, but I remember parking all the way down the end of the old back lot, behind the (old?) Engineering building and hoofing it to GCS, it wasn't that bad.  I was closer to PBCC than FAU.

I do agree that the ticketing system is out of control down there.  I got a ticket in the parking sticker office lot while I was in line getting a new parking pass.  I bought a new truck and taped the old sticker to the window for the 10 minutes I was on campus to go get a replacement.  When I came out there was the golf cart patrol stickin a ticket on my window.  When I SHOWED him the sticker taped to my back window, he just said "Oh well, I already wrote the ticket", and drove off.  So I had to go back into the office wait in line and have them rip up the ticket.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

This is a stupid protest.  I lived on campus for the four years while I was going to undergrad and while I agree it isn't the best, it's f'n college.  You don't go here for the parking.  These students need some perspective on what they are complaining about.  Come to UF, (where I went for grad school) if you think you are going to get a spot there, you are kidding yourself.  At least at FAU there are enough spots somewhere on campus.  You will have to walk but there are spots.
Back to the top

I thought it was funny to hear a girl protesting how the alumni center was stupid and how they should not have built the campus rec because they took out all the spaces.  It was hysterical.
Back to the top

OWLUMNI said

I thought it was funny to hear a girl protesting how the alumni center was stupid and how they should not have built the campus rec because they took out all the spaces.  It was hysterical.

She probably didn't mention the new parking lot across from the alumni center. That parking lot is, aside from the library parking, the most convenient parking you can get on campus. When it's a parking garage, it will be even better.

I have to wonder at what point people will stop bitching about parking… if ever. I imagine that eventually they'll have a parking garage in the IRT lot, in front of the Student Services center, by the Burrow, north of the new Comp Science/Engineering building, etc

If there are less than 10k spaces to park on campus and we fill up a 30k stadium, that means cars will be parked on the grass, maybe even over by P.F. Changs or by Casa Del Rio. I'm in favor of this, actually. Because there's virtually no parking at UF, people have to stream, parade-like, to the stadium from all over town. This is really cool to see and even though I'm sure people in Boca will complain about it, that very well may be what it's like at FAU in 10-20 years.
Back to the top
Control functions: