Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kimberly Miller article on the Dirty Birds

Add topic

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/extracredit/entries/2009/02/03/fau_student_section_named_dirt.html

FAU STUDENT SECTION NAMED “DIRTY BIRDS”

By Kimberly Miller | Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 08:59 AM

Florida Atlantic University has two newish independent Web sites to purchase school regalia, and one of them _ the FAU Dirty Birds _ is also the new unofficial name for the student cheering section at games.

FAU Dirty Birds.com and Owls Gear.com are both places to purchase fun Owl wear that might not be officially sanctioned, or found in the campus bookstore.

One T-shirt from the Dirty Birds had a profile of heralded head football coach Howard Schnellenberger with his classic pipe. The writing said, “Don’t mess with the pipe,” or some such thing. The official university line is that administrators weren’t so happy about the shirt because of the “connotation” that the pipe might not have regular old tobacco in it. Hint, hint.

Another cute one on there now

has Schnellenberger and a Latin saying, “Ubi Fumus, Ibi Ignus,” which I think means, where there’s smoke there’s fire.”

Calling the student cheering section the FAU Dirty Birds follows a long tradition of universities naming the rowdier areas of their arenas where students typically sit.

Here’s the history from the Dirty Birds Web site:

The Dirty Birds were founded in 2008 upon the departure of FAU’s then head basketball coach. The groups formerly known as The Rowdy Rex’s (students) and The Sexy Rexies (alumni) unified under one name and decided upon “The Dirty Birds.” The name signifies the Owls (which are obviously birds) and the notorious behavior of students sections.

According to a Gator Alum in my office, the University of Florida student cheering section is sometimes called the “Rowdy Reptiles.”

I’ve also heard of the “Cameron Crazies,” at Duke University, and of Harvard’s “Crimson Crazies.”

I appreciate the write up but here's my problem. Owl09 who created the Don't Mess With the Pipe Shirt would NEVER make the shirt if people got the assumption we were talking about him smoking weed. In fact, not only does Howard know about the shirt, pretty sure he owns one. The shirt says "Don't Mess With the Pipe" it says NOTHING about weed nor does it have any hidden meaning behind it referring to marijuana in his pipe . Maybe she should interview some of the dirty birds next time before writing an article

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Kimberly Miller article on the Dirty Birds

It's nice to read a relatively positive article from KM but she needs to be made aware that "the Pipe" is a common nickname for HS (from all of his schools past) and though I don't have any connection with the DBs I'm pretty sure they were not going for a pot reference in that shirt.
Back to the top

Jab:
I see your point…. but remember that her piece isn't an article - it's a blog. She has more writer's freedom.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

If she knew anything about coach she would know that the pipe is his trademark and that Crissinger-Hill was kicked off the team for smoking weed. Makes it pretty clear that Smith needs to brush up on her homework.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

First i have heard of anyone ever mistaking the connotation of Howards pipe with pot…is that what they felt at UM when the Ibis had a pipe in his beak??

Obviously the admin mentioned does not know the history very well…would be very curioous to know who they are.
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

First i have heard of anyone ever mistaking the connotation of Howards pipe with pot…is that what they felt at UM when the Ibis had a pipe in his beak??

Obviously the admin mentioned does not know the history very well…would be very curioous to know who they are.

What admin?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

What admin?

Whoever she is citing indirectly herein:

"The official university line is that administrators weren’t so happy about the shirt because of the 'connotation' that the pipe might not have regular old tobacco in it. Hint, hint."
Back to the top

Kimberly Miller article on the Dirty Birds

Florida_Owl said

smittysahoot said

What admin?

Whoever she is citing indirectly herein:

"The official university line is that administrators weren’t so happy about the shirt because of the 'connotation' that the pipe might not have regular old tobacco in it. Hint, hint."

Nunzio emailed her to ask her who the Admin was. She said it was brought up in a board of directors meeting or something like that and they weren't happy about the connotation of the pipe but decided not to make a big deal out of it.

Smitty I know it's a blog and she can say whatever she wants but why not get your facts straight first. Why would the shirt have anything to do with weed? Like said in previous posts Howard is known for smoking his pipe. It doesn't say come get high with Howard lol

Back to the top

Jab979 said

In fact, not only does Howard know about the shirt, pretty sure he owns one.

That's awesome. Does Jarvis have the one with the goatee?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Jab979 said

In fact, not only does Howard know about the shirt, pretty sure he owns one.

That's awesome. Does Jarvis have the one with the goatee?

LOL, yup. He has the Jarvis ball shirt. I think he has a few of them. I know Jarvis Jr. wanted one as well. They have another shirt Howard is My Homeboy and he's seen people wearing that one and thought it was funny but I don't think he has one of those yet. I know there's stuff in the works for baseball season, so hopefully Mac will get a shirt too

Back to the top
Control functions: