Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

O.K. whats going on with the Band this year

Add topic

Re: O.K. whats going on with the Band this year

Troy's full band usually travels to a number of away games, including (in recent years) Florida, Florida State, Nebraska (alumni donated thousands of dollars for that one), UAB (every time), Georgia, Arkansas, etc.

It sends a pep band to most SunBelt games that to which it cannot afford to send the full band. But it does send the full band to key 'Belt away games such as MTSU, Arkansas State, at least one of the Louisianas, FIU in '06, etc.

Troy University "Sound of the South"

Sometimes (including FAU this year), Troy will send a large pep band. That was the case versus Miami. That pep band was lopuder and better than Miami's entire band, and Troy, unlike Miami, did not have the benefit of a sound system which which to pump up the volume.

Troy's band has always been large and impressive. The school apparently uses it as an ambassador and recruitment tool, sending it to band festivals, parades, a number of presidential inaugurations, bowl games, NFL games, etc. Word is, the band is over 325 people this year (20-plus tubas), maybe 75 to 100 of whom will be in Boca.

I look forward to an improved Marching Owls in quality and quantity. FAU is doing band right, with scholarships, not charging for uniforms, etc.

Troy does not do that because it doesn't have to. Many kids come to Troy for the band. FAU just needs to promote band better to Palm Beach and Broward high school kids, and personally contact every incoming student who has ever marched. FAU's director is a nice guy and works hard. He needs some marketing support and better funding.

Back to the top

BMarkey said

FAU's director is a nice guy and works hard. He needs some marketing support and better funding.

He is a very nice guy. He is willing to do whatever he can to help. I remember sitting in with him on a game ops meeting in 2006 and him saying "we'll do whatever it takes" to an outrageous question I asked. I don't remember what it was though.

Our bad is definitely improving. I can hear the difference when I go back and visit campus.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Another reason the band might be small still is that we have recruited a lot of freshmen for this year but a lot of them come from arts school such as Dreyfoos. Now thats great for the the concert ensembles but bad for marching because usually these schools have no football team which also means no marching band. Since they have never marched before they dont take an interest in marching band which is sad because a lot of them are great players as well as music ed students who think that they can get arts school jobs which is certainly never the case, so they feel no need to learn anything bout marching band. oh well.

btw-next show is a jazz swing show for the Troy game.
Back to the top
Control functions: