Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This is not good

Add topic

This is fake news. "All Immigrants are animals", fake news. The media needs to sell adds. And sensationalism gets people on a frenzy. In the past , news papers employed reporters. Now they employ narrative writers. These writers use quotes and partial facts to make drama. Get the whole story, then come to a conclusion. Rick is correct.
Back to the top

I'd say over-sensationalized rather than fake news.  The facts are that FAU over-reported the number of female athletes on scholarship, and that suspiciously comes on the heels of a year where the athletic program was identified as one the worst in the country.  It also suspiciously made us Title IX compliant with the clerical error, and makes us non-compliant without.  I know it will be easy to simply throw the former AD under the bus, and as the top man I fully agree he had the ultimate responsibility.  But people responsible for the report are still with the school, and none of it changes the fact that FAU is still giving less than the required scholarships and dollars to females.

So yes - the reporter went overboard, but the majority of the facts themselves remain true, while the opinions are just opinions.  
Back to the top

Local Owl said

This is fake news. "All Immigrants are animals", fake news. The media needs to sell adds. And sensationalism gets people on a frenzy. In the past , news papers employed reporters. Now they employ narrative writers. These writers use quotes and partial facts to make drama. Get the whole story, then come to a conclusion. Rick is correct.
Posted On: May 19th 2018, 5:41 AM #378388
Or sensationalism campaigning like “ There is substantial evidence of voter fraud”  You know? 
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I'd say over-sensationalized rather than fake news.  The facts are that FAU over-reported the number of female athletes on scholarship, and that suspiciously comes on the heels of a year where the athletic program was identified as one the worst in the country.  It also suspiciously made us Title IX compliant with the clerical error, and makes us non-compliant without.  I know it will be easy to simply throw the former AD under the bus, and as the top man I fully agree he had the ultimate responsibility.  But people responsible for the report are still with the school, and none of it changes the fact that FAU is still giving less than the required scholarships and dollars to females.

So yes - the reporter went overboard, but the majority of the facts themselves remain true, while the opinions are just opinions.  
Posted On: May 19th 2018, 6:58 AM #378389

Great post.
Back to the top

It truly is sad that we can't listen or read a news source , without questioning the stories validity. Once upon a time  reporter took pride in accuracy. Trying desperately to keep personal opinions out of it. Today , virtually 100% of the news is opinionated. Even sports news. Really sad. This "This is not good" title is true. No negative news is good. But I think it is a bump in the road. Not a scandal. I should be sitting at the baseball stadium. But I'm waiting to hear some news about the start time.. I hope it's not fake.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I'd say over-sensationalized rather than fake news.
Posted On: May 19th 2018, 6:58 AM #378389

Fine line, but is purporting a false narrative (lying) sensationalism? 

Back to the top

Local Owl said

It truly is sad that we can't listen or read a news source , without questioning the stories validity. Once upon a time  reporter took pride in accuracy. Trying desperately to keep personal opinions out of it. Today , virtually 100% of the news is opinionated. Even sports news. Really sad. This "This is not good" title is true. No negative news is good. But I think it is a bump in the road. Not a scandal. I should be sitting at the baseball stadium. But I'm waiting to hear some news about the start time.. I hope it's not fake.
Posted On: May 19th 2018, 11:49 AM #378392

That's your perception. Yea, really anyone can report anything, but there are still good reporters doing good work out there. We just live in a world people read stuff and they do not agree with it they say ''it's fake''

The person that is always crying about how everyone says stuff about them is usually the liar.

A college football example of this is Hugh Freeze.
Back to the top

I too abhor the term FAKE NEWS as it is  a sad small way of spreading disinformation as well.

Yes reporters and journalists are taught to be truthful and factual - most are - some are not. Like any job you have good employees and bad ones. Inaccurate reporting now just gets screamed as being the FN term by MANY LIARS as their base way to defend themselves with NO other defense offered!
Back to the top

I think we all know what we're talking about. One way to fix the Fake News issue. Report facts. No opinions . No agendas. No scripts. I will end my discussion here , as I know there are folks that disagree. Please keep an open mind and respect others. BTW, the FAU article is a non issue.
Back to the top
Control functions: