Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Blue Shovel update

Add topic

Re: Blue Shovel update

smittysahoot said

Very well said TeamBeer.

To add: Well spoken by two "involved" members… :)

I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of the operating budget and revenue streams…any idea where this information resides publically?
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Very well said TeamBeer.

But I think one of the most important things the most active fans (FAUOWLSNEST members in my opinion) have to look at is the ability to take us to the next level - and "us" meaning the university as a whole.

We're not asking people to join the FAU NAA at $100 a year. It's $40 a year - which breaks down to $3.33 a month.

And when people write things about FAU being "non-traditional" or not having an "active alumni association."

Instead of pleading for them to stop saying that because we have more people going to more things and it's the alumni that are really helping to drive that… we can say…. look Mr./Mrs. critic, we have 5,000 paid members in our alumni association.

Plus, the FAU stuff you get when signing up (the tote bag and other goodies), probably adds up to $20 anyway… so you're getting tangible things as well.

And as TeamBeer said…. some people think that the "alumni association" doesn't do anything, or market their events, etc. They do….. but they will do MORE with additional revenue. The alumni association is only as good as it's members…

I have an alumni card and I know I get discounts here and there but I can never remember where I get those discounts. I wish the associated businesses would have some sort of reminder by their cash register. It would also work as a marketing tool.

A quick question: when universities have a celebrity speaker come to graduation (Dave Barry at Miami, Seth Macfarlane at Harvard, etc), does the university's respective Alumni Association usually pay for that?
Back to the top

The businesses are supposed to have a sticker (as far as I know), but could have taken it down.

Florida Owl - would you join regardless of if you see the revenue breakdown?

And I don't know if the information is public.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

And I don't know if the information is public.

State University; therefore all financial information must be made public…

Having worked there, and seen the way money is spent at times, i am somewhat jaded…Nothing agianst them though…

I only put my giving monies where administrative overhead is not excessive…if they were in line, then i would consider it…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

smittysahoot said

Having worked there, and seen the way money is spent at times, i am somewhat jaded…Nothing agianst them though… I only put my giving monies where administrative overhead is not excessive…if they were in line, then i would consider it…

Can you elaborate on that at all?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Florida_Owl said

smittysahoot said

Having worked there, and seen the way money is spent at times, i am somewhat jaded…Nothing agianst them though… I only put my giving monies where administrative overhead is not excessive…if they were in line, then i would consider it…

Not going to elaborate on previous dealings (don't feel that would be productive), but will say that the percentile of dollars against admin costs is the key factor for me personally…

IE, for every dollar that comes in how much goes to admin (salary, operating costs, etc)?

The lower the better is the rule…that shows how much "benefit" is exhibited/gained by the gift…

Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

owlcountry said

Florida_Owl said

smittysahoot said

Not going to elaborate on previous dealings (don't feel that would be productive), but will say that the percentile of dollars against admin costs is the key factor for me personally…

IE, for every dollar that comes in how much goes to admin (salary, operating costs, etc)?

The lower the better is the rule…that shows how much "benefit" is exhibited/gained by the gift…

Ahhh yes. I actually look for information on the same thing every time I'm hit up for money for United Way, etc
Back to the top
Control functions: