Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

Add topic

Re: FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

I unfortunately have to agree wtih the Sun Sentinel editorial….Saunders bungled that Q&A last week.  The only good thing about it, it was right before spirng break.  She looked like she was prepped by Angelos!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/editorials/fl-editorial-fau-gs0304-20130305,0,1788863.story
Back to the top

While Saunders probably could have done a better job at the meeting, I don't think she is really "Obligated" to explain the school's actions.  She could have very well either told the protestors to pound sand, or scheduled the meeting and not said a word during it.  Not the greatest PR move, but well within her rights.  She has to answer to the governing board and committee members, but not to a group of likely professional protestors.

I really disagreed with the writer's comment stating "the students were entitled to an explanation", no they are not.  But its america and if you want to protest and have sit ins, have fun, knock yourselves out.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

If they are so worried about this issue, why no protests and sit-ins at GeoGroup HQ just up the road?
Back to the top

This:

"A big argument by the opponets (protesters) to the Geo Group is that they lobby for laws that lock up people which fills their beds….well in 2012 they only spent $240,000.  For a company that had approximately $1.7 billion in revenue…that is NOTHING."

I doubt if the$240 k includes the funds for the state of Florida lobbying, along with the governor's inaugural ball that they contributed to.

What is totally below the radar, however, is their involvement (through parent company Wackenhut) in ALEC – American Legislative Exchange Council.

For a rude awakening, at least it was for me, Google "Geo ties to alec" and you will get the following:

Marco Rubio, Geo Group, and a Legacy of Corruption | PR Watch
Daily Kos: Boehner & Cantor expose their ties to ALEC, Koch, CCA, Geo in 09 ALEC speeches!

and much, much more.

The 1.7 Bill is a result of doubling revenues along with CCA in the past 10 years.  Pretty incredible growth rate.  This doesn't happen just because they are good salesmen.  Their investors, like Wells Fargo, are also pushing legislation in state legislatures across the country, successfully.

We need the money and we will end up keeping it, and the name.  Let's not kid ourselves that this story is going to go away and all past sins forgiven.  Regrettably, I believe the Geo story is only going to messier and louder as immigration reform and the war on drugs are debated.  They may end up regretting that they turned on the flashlight because it is going to be aimed at them.

Back to the top

I know this is a message board and if people are interested in this, by all means, keep this thread going, but I'm so tired of this topic.

This company donated money and their name is on the football stadium.  To me, that's where my (and I'm guessing 95% of the rest of the boards) interest in GEO Group ends.  I don't care about their connection to lobbyists or ALEC, or whoever.  I get that there are people that don't like this company.  That's fine, but stop trying to make me care.  People can post all the articles they want, but sorry, I just don't care about any of this.  I care about a lot of things but prisons and the living conditions of prisoners is not one of them.
Back to the top

Bottom line, $240,000 in lobbying dollars is a joke.  That has absolutely zero impact on laws.  That argument/position is not valid.

Secondly, for any alleged wrong doing on the part of the Geo Group, they are held accountable like all other companies in the court of law.  If you have a problem with the Geo Group, go find lead plaintiffs and sue them…that will hurt thier bottom line and get them to change thier ways.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I know this is a message board and if people are interested in this, by all means, keep this thread going, but I'm so tired of this topic.

This company donated money and their name is on the football stadium.  To me, that's where my (and I'm guessing 95% of the rest of the boards) interest in GEO Group ends.  I don't care about their connection to lobbyists or ALEC, or whoever.  I get that there are people that don't like this company.  That's fine, but stop trying to make me care.  People can post all the articles they want, but sorry, I just don't care about any of this.  I care about a lot of things but prisons and the living conditions of prisoners is not one of them.

+1  But I think you can raise your estimate of 95% to 99%
Back to the top

bb said

Let's not kid ourselves that this story is going to go away and all past sins forgiven.

This story has already been forgotten for the most part…remember Occupy Wall Street?  That went on due to a friendly press.  The one major news paper thought it was a good deal (SS, PBP is barely a paper these days) and they don't care.  No coverage, no story, protestors will move on.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I get that there are people that don't like this company.  That's fine, but stop trying to make me care.  People can post all the articles they want, but sorry, I just don't care about any of this.

+10000000
Back to the top

Hey, how about those Cubs!!
Back to the top
Control functions: