Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium: 2010?

Add topic

Re: FAU Stadium: 2010?

FAU Stadium: 2010?

It is an embarrassment to be playing in Lockhart. We just recruited our tenth class and are no closer to having a home than we were with our first. There have been so many mistakes made, and years of missed promises. Read the "Ask the AD" page from the bottom up to relive the disappointments: Florida Atlantic Owls Official Athletic Site - Athletics.

Back to the top

Poor Lockhart, the tramp that we keep going back to, if only to kick dirt in her face.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I have to agree with the fact that FAU probably should have thought more about where the team was going to play before they started recruiting players. I know thats sounds painful. The truth is, UM, USF and UCF are only a short drive from full size professional/bowl caliber football stadiums. Lockhart was not a good option and Dolphin stadium was worse.

Things were cheaper 10 years ago and Cantanese could spend money like it was nothing.  He should have got something going from the beginning. What is funny is that he may be partly responsible for the difficulty in finding donors due to his Corvette fiasco.

Let me just say, in corporate America, everyone is cutting back. I hate to sound negative or be the bearer of bad news but corporations are preparing for this recession to get worse. One of the companies headquartered up here, Caterpillar, is going to lay off 20,000 employees. There will be more layoffs and other cost cutting measures. If FAU still has the option to sell the rights to new residential housing, that might be the only way to do it for a while.  Corporations won't be giving away too much money for a while.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I think the best thing to do would be put a temp stadium up. I don't see us getting the funding for the entire thing. I don't care if we freaking take the bleachers from Lockhart and carry them to campus. It would take pressure off of everyone having to look for funding. Don't we have $4 mill in pledges? Why can't we use that and put something up. I think it would add ALOT to the whole campus atmosphere. We all thought that after winning the conference and two bowl games that we'd get alot more money coming in, and we just haven't. I don't see the stadium happening by 2010 which is really dissapointing, but who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and a die hard FAU fan will win the powerball,lol.
Back to the top

sirwgula said

Hey B-rider… I really do not care what you perceive as a fan or not.  I was in fau cafeteria listening to schelly rant when he stood on a tree trunk and didn't even have players yet.  I am as big a fau fan as there is, but I choose not to support things I disagree with (which is playing at lockhart).  And after attending fiu for law school and watching their stadium go up while our administration kept talking, I just do not have a great desire to sit at a high school stadium any longer. Schnelly deserves better, the players deserve better, the students deserve better, and the alumni deserve better. By the way, let me know when your attendance helps the stadium gets built faster.

I don't know how I'll ever know this but I do know that your lack of attendance is only being hurtful
Back to the top

I agree that Cantanese could have done more… but that was a decade ago. And FAU (maybe Cantanese?) sold the land that Boca Airport is now built on for next to nothing.

So the problem of not having a stadium, and the troubles of finding a donor, may have been inherited by Brogan, Angelos, etc.

Let's not forget that Angelos wasn't the AD when football started.

I'm starting to think that a temporary stadium may be a good idea too. Temporary or not - I still don't think we'll draw 20,000 fans at Lockhart or an on-campus temporary (or permanent) stadium for anyone other than Troy or an OOC big name.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

A temp stadium is the way to go. FIU had a 15K seat stadium before upgrading to 18K or 20K seats and adding the screen and some other amenities.
FAU should start with something small and not fancy with a better field than lockhart. The owls should be playing ON-CAMPUS  and stop paying 25K to lockhart every time they play there.
Just right there FAU is saving 25K X 5 home games = 125,000 per season + the amount FAU pays for playing at DS which I believe is like over 50K for only one game.
FAU can also generate some cash by charging for parking during games and by having food vendors. FAU has already 4 million on pledges. Let's start with something small ON CAMPUS with a better field conditions. That's all what we need for now. No need for fancy skyboxes or huge jumbotrons. The stadium can be expandable and should grow as the school grows.
Back to the top

We should also take advantage of the economic downturn while material and labor is cheaper and more readily available.
Back to the top

Alex,
While you are correct that playing on campus could reduce some costs, we also will add some costs including traffic control, parking staff, field maintenance, insurance, electricity, plumbing, etc.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I agree that Cantanese could have done more… but that was a decade ago. And FAU (maybe Cantanese?) sold the land that Boca Airport is now built on for next to nothing.

So the problem of not having a stadium, and the troubles of finding a donor, may have been inherited by Brogan, Angelos, etc.

Let's not forget that Angelos wasn't the AD when football started.

I'm starting to think that a temporary stadium may be a good idea too. Temporary or not - I still don't think we'll draw 20,000 fans at Lockhart or an on-campus temporary (or permanent) stadium for anyone other than Troy or an OOC big name.

Are you sure he sold the land? I was under the impression that the military gave land to FAU, and land to Boca for an airport.
Back to the top
Control functions: