Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium Funding

Add topic

Re: Stadium Funding

owlcountry said

owlcountry40 said

FAUfasho said

At this point in time, people would just go nuts. The trend is starting to change, but FAU is still a "settle" school for alot of people and raising tuition, even $1 would probably make people lose their minds. They don't care about FAU's stadium, they care about a year or two here saving money while staying at home and then off to UF, FSU UCF etc…
 we shoudlnyt worry about the kids that want to leave the school should make it better for the kids that want to stay and shoudlnt care about the kids who want to leave

Exactly. This is going to change very soon. I mean, even 20 years from now you'll still have kids who want to transfer to UF or FSU… but we'll retain the rest because this is going to be an awesome school.

It's already starting to happen.  More and more, FAU is becoming a school of first choice, rather than the "settle" school.  Raising entrance requirements is not only a sign that they are serious about becoming a major player in academics, but it's also an indication of higher demand.  Lots of good things going on there.  I almost wish I was 18 again.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I would tend to agree with your sentiment Florida_Owl BUT in this economy I am not surprised by it being difficult to get the donations and sponsorships we need.  At any other time a few years ago I would completely agree with you but right now I feel like this is a legitimate solution that should be looked at lest we not have a stadium built at all.  I mean even if its 25 cents more a credit hour, that would raise $125,000 a year which is not too shabby considering our situation.

I hear you SeminOwl…how about add the notion that at some point they need to begin to mimic private business and start holding the following people accountable for actually doing their jobs:

1.  Development Officers
2.  Advancement Officials

So, given where we are in the economic cycle at present (mild recession) send them home until the economy recovers…….

Then you can put that salary to the stadium (minimum $500K)…afterall, an investment in the stadium is going to reap returns - that's a given…an investment into someones career that is putting up shoddy numbers (at best) is not…

This is how profit driven, accoutable private business thinks…this is NOT how state contracted A&P employees think.

Ok, im probably going to get a bunch of these thrown at me now:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

I "asked the AD"

Ask The AD With Craig Angelos

July 10, 2008

Question from Chris
I read that the athletic fee hike in 2005 of $2 a credit makes $1M/year. Considering this is what we are looking for from a sponsor for the stadium, why not pursue this funding source as a valid alternative that would cost the average student only $50/yr extra.

Response from Athletics Director Craig Angelos
Chris,
I like your thinking. I approached the student body leaders last year to discuss this idea but, did not get much traction with it. I know some other schools commit a $10 block fee per semester. I am still pursuing this idea in hopes that the students may want to leave a legacy of helping get this stadium built.

Craig

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Hmm what if they named it "Students of FAU Stadium" or is that too Soviet style for everybody

The People's Stadium of the Florida Atlantic University
Forward Comrade Owls!

:D

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I "asked the AD"

Ask The AD With Craig Angelos

July 10, 2008

Question from Chris
I read that the athletic fee hike in 2005 of $2 a credit makes $1M/year. Considering this is what we are looking for from a sponsor for the stadium, why not pursue this funding source as a valid alternative that would cost the average student only $50/yr extra.

Response from Athletics Director Craig Angelos
Chris,
I like your thinking. I approached the student body leaders last year to discuss this idea but, did not get much traction with it. I know some other schools commit a $10 block fee per semester. I am still pursuing this idea in hopes that the students may want to leave a legacy of helping get this stadium built.

Craig

At 26k students, he would need a $20 block fee per semester x 2 semesters to achieve $1 million
Back to the top

Like has been pointed out, the stadium is the missing piece of the puzzle. At this point 2010 seems to be impossible. Lets hope that something gets done for 2011.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Hmm what if they named it "Students of FAU Stadium" or is that too Soviet style for everybody

Forward Comrade Owls!

Actually, it's Vladimir I. Lenin Field at The People's Stadium of the Florida Atlantic University.  Big statue out front, too.
Back to the top

The said

SeminOWL2006 said

Forward Comrade Owls!

Actually, it's Vladimir I. Lenin Field at The People's Stadium of the Florida Atlantic University.  Big statue out front, too.

Actually Comrade, it's Our Dear Leader the Most Glorious Vladimir I. Lenin Field at The People's Republic Stadium of the Florida Atlantic University. With a big statute out front of Our Great Leader. Good day comrade. 
Back to the top

hehe

But seriously, if the students bankroll the stadium why not make it Schnellenberger Field at FAU Student Stadium and for the next 15 years (or indefinitely if the fee continues), add a plaque and maybe name part of the stadium to the graduating class of that particular year.

Class of 2009 Section
Class of 2010 Entrance
Class of 2011 Beer Tent
Class of 2012 Locker Room
Class of 2013 Suites
Class of 2014 whatever, etc

Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

hehe

But seriously, if the students bankroll the stadium why not make it Schnellenberger Field at FAU Student Stadium and for the next 15 years (or indefinitely if the fee continues), add a plaque and maybe name part of the stadium to the graduating class of that particular year.

That would be great if we could do it, but I think we're talking about too much money.  At this point, it looks like we're relying on naming rights money just so we can break ground.
Back to the top
Control functions: