Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Boca Bowl Game Thread - Akron @ FAU - Dec 19th @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

2017 Boca Bowl Game Thread - Akron @ FAU - Dec 19th @ 7:00 PM

The Matchup: Akron (7-6) vs. FAU (10-3)

When: Tuesday, December 19nd, 7:00 PM

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

The Series: This is the first meeting between the two programs.

Akron Team Site: Here

Akron Notables

Akron football finished the season 7-6 overall and 6-2 in the MAC under sixth-year head coach Terry Bowden. Senior quarterback Thomas Woodson leads the Zips on offense along with senior wide receiver Tra’von Chapman. On the defensive side of the ball, junior linebacker Uylsees Gilbert III is ranked No. 15 nationally in total tackles (9.8), while junior defensive back Jordan George is No. 19 in interceptions. Akron is No. 7 in defensive touchdowns (4), and No. 25 in turnover margin (.58).

FAU Notables

FAU finished the season 10-3 overall and a perfect 8-0 in the conference under head coach Lane Kiffin. The Conference USA champion is making its third bowl game appearance. FAU brings a strong scoring offense that ranks ninth in the nation behind the nation’s leading scorer in running back Devin “Motor” Singletary (13.8 ppg). The Owls are ranked first in ten conference statistical categories. They bring a balanced defense, led by linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair and safety Jalen Young, that ranks first in the nation in passes intercepted (20).

Game Information

TV: ESPN

Live Video: None

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Stats: Here

Opening Line: FAU +17

Back to the top

Yes the big picture is the only thing that matters. If we played USF or FSU (or whatever other P5 opponent) and even lost by one point, then we have no shot at the year end coaches poll and it probably hurts our chances for preseason top 25. A 10 game winning streak is everything going into the off season. We can't jeopardize that. There's literally a ton of positive press we're going to get this off season, and a lot of that could conceivably be wiped out even with a 1 point loss to FSU or whatever. We'd be ending the season on a bad note. This off season and preseason will be amazing for the program. Throw in the push for Devin Singletary to win the Heisman and even if it's Akron, we need this win badly.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Yes the big picture is the only thing that matters. If we played USF or FSU (or whatever other P5 opponent) and even lost by one point, then we have no shot at the year end coaches poll and it probably hurts our chances for preseason top 25. A 10 game winning streak is everything going into the off season. We can't jeopardize that. There's literally a ton of positive press we're going to get this off season, and a lot of that could conceivably be wiped out even with a 1 point loss to FSU or whatever. We'd be ending the season on a bad note. This off season and preseason will be amazing for the program. Throw in the push for Devin Singletary to win the Heisman and even if it's Akron, we need this win badly.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 9:58 PM #374872

Get Motor his 2000 yards while putting up 50-60 on Akron - do it Owls!!!
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I believe that there's incredible value in a 10 game winning streak to end the season. People like ESPN will be talking about our 10 game winning streak the entire offseason. And we'll be ranked heading to Oklahoma. People will write articles about our 10 game winning streak and maybe mention our schools growth, and who knows maybe they'll mention the possibility of us competing with the big boys annually.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 8:35 PM #374856

If UCF looses their match up against Auburn, and we end up beating the crap out of Akron, we will have the longest winning streak in FBS.  That will definitely be a talking point for the media to chew on for the entire off season.  

Just do your jobs as fans and show up on the 19th!
Back to the top

Great point I hadn't thought of that. Let's get Motor 2000, he only needs 204 against Akron. That'll be even more positive press. It's going to be a dream offseason. Let's go to the Boca Bowl and support our team.
Back to the top

it could happen. I don't know what kind of speed the zips have but it is hard to imagine they can keep up with Singletary, Woods or Franklin III and others.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I may have posted too soon. I just looked at the Akron roster. Unless I missed someone, I counted 27 Floridians on the roster!!! They might have some speed.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Just looking at Akron's stats:

Defense  
Points per game 26.31
Rushing yards per game 196.5
Passing yards per game 235.6
Total yards per game 432.2

Offense  
Points per game 23.6
Rushing yards per game 108.2
Passing yards per game 220.9
Total yards per game 329.1

They do have 19 interceptions on the year, and have held opponents to less than 35% on 3rd-down conversions.  To be fair, you probably should throw out the Penn State game (although you would need to throw out our game against Wisconsin, too), but even doing that statistically they don't look real great.  Of course, games aren't played on spreadsheets, and they did beat Buffalo.  Seems like they will probably want to slow it down and limit our chances - stereotypical "Midwest" versus "South" kind of game (speed usually kills, but not always).

Based solely on the stats and their scores, I would think FAU opens at a pretty sizable favorite.  Has anybody seen a spread yet?
Back to the top

And - Terry Bowden is their coach and Chuck Amato (former FSU DC and NC State head coach) is their DC, so no doubt they try and get into Florida for recruiting.
Back to the top

Our leaders in conference and school failed this team.

We deserved better than Akron and I am not buying the bulls*** of be happy because we weren't here last year.

You never know how long this will last.  We should be Akron by 45 and everyone will be underwhelmed.

Our leaders need to know over over and over again they failed and maybe it wont happen again.

Back to the top
Control functions: