Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 OPENER - GAME THREAD: #30 FAU @ #7 Oklahoma - September 1, 2018

Add topic

I was taken aback by the lack of swagger the team had early. The team looked ready to ball during warm-ups. But after waiting few minutes in the tunnel for the OU pregame theatrics, the team looked lifeless. Even their jog to the sidelines lacked excitement.

I know it sounds stupid, but the guys just looked emotionally unprepared by the start of the game. By the time they could settle it, we were already down by 28.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

David Slavic said

We were clearly out-motivated, out-played, and out-coached.I haven't seen us look so flat and ambivalent in a long time. We got blown out because our heads weren't in the game, from the coaches down to the equipment managers. If we'd been focused, we would have lost, but not been blown out like this. This was one of the least disciplined performances I've ever seen.

As far as being surprised at how many people thought we would do better, most, including myself, thought we would lose by at least two TDs. But you hit the nail on the head with the above. While talentwise we looked expectedly inferior, we looked shockingly unprepared and simply looked like a bad football team with no business being talked about as a Top 25 squad. It was amateur hour on the biggest stage. That throwback "bad FAU" showing was not even expected by most unbiased experts around the country, especially considering the issues with OU's D.

Back to the top

teambeer said

jgf2017 said

Theres no reason to be worried yet. We still were on Network television (Fox) for the first time in school history, so it's probably a good day more than a bad day. And 63-14 is bad, but it could of been way more embarrassing. There's nothing you can do about a brutal schedule. It's not like they took away our conference championship and name recognition. And, we still have a 6 game home winning streak (in which we haven't even trailed once) and 9 game C-USA win streak. Those are serious win streaks we still have at the moment.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 1:11 AM #380046
Getting boat raced on national television is very bad for the brand dude.
Once again, to the average football fan we are easily confuseable with FIU, “one of those sh!tty teams down in south Florida.” We are trying to build a fan base in a very fickle town and showings like this do nothing to interest the casual fan in coming out next Saturday. Every time we get our shot to galvanize people, we do this. First game in the stadium, 28k fans, we lose to WKU 50-3 or something. Navy, Miami at home, huge crowds, we get spanked. Today.

This was not a great team to try to work the kinks out against. After next season, our OOC schedule becomes more manageable and these body bag games disappear. Can we try to get Wager back for week 0 next year???

But to those of you who didn’t think that changing all 3 coordinators  (and yeah, the special teams coordinator Loss mattered yesterday, big time!) and not having a qb wouldn’t be a big deal…this is the result.

Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 7:29 AM #380048

Please no.  They nearly beat us at home opening week.  
Back to the top

Pelini was scared after evaluating the squad and did the right thing, bought a W. It almost backfired but we still squeaked out a W and we knocked the rust off. 

This team would’ve rolled Wagner and perhaps prepared us a bit more for a game like this. Much like OU booked us to do the same. 
Back to the top

teambeer said

Pelini was scared after evaluating the squad and did the right thing, bought a W. It almost backfired but we still squeaked out a W and we knocked the rust off. 

This team would’ve rolled Wagner and perhaps prepared us a bit more for a game like this. Much like OU booked us to do the same. 
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 11:46 AM #380091

The team I saw yesterday couldn't beat Boca Raton High
Back to the top

All is not lost. 

But A delay of game penalty on the opening play of the freaking game is the most inexcusable mistake you can make. They seriously didn’t know what they were gonna run first on Friday? 

The opening drive showed some promise, that new penalty call for the low block killed us and then poof, it got away from us.

We didn’t even play for a punt block deep in our own end. Watch that one again, the 3 Owls on the left side of the line sprint downfield right off the snap. Bad call. 

As they say in golf, no pictures on the score card. There are ugly birdies and amazing bogeys. 
0-1 is 0-1 if we lost on a last second field goal or by 100. 

Let’s hope this lights a fire in those guys. 

Back to the top

I cannot find a full box score stat release on the game anywhere (goes all the way into D stats and even game participation), even on the FAU site. Would like to see D numbers as well as O personally.

Chill guys, stop the pancic, that was one ganme vs,. thr BEST O in America, Coach K was trying to downplay talk before the game KNOWING we DON'T have the talent to play top 10 Power 5 teams!. Wisconsin plays conservative football so we hung with them sort of. OU - NOT THE SAME A WISKY AT ALL!

I think Coach K played a very conservative O on purpose knowing this. The man is sly and is gonna use this butt whooping to HIS advantage!

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I think Coach K played a very conservative O on purpose knowing this. The man is sly and is gonna use this butt whooping to HIS advantage!
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 12:46 PM #380095

I think he certainly will try – the chatter now is how FAU was all hype, overrated, Marshall is the team to beat in C USA blah blah blah – maybe we catch these teams sleeping on us again now instead of being the hunted which may be better for the team's mentality.

Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Good points, and yes I should clarify.

Not a full pro scheme offense, just wrinkles from it, which I think slowed us down and took away our advantage.

If I had a choice between keeping Kendal or Chris…I'd probably pick Kendal.  Good offenses are harder to come by, no disrespect to Chris, and what plays into the hype FAU is trying to create.

The poor QB  and receiving play came from not picking a QB at the end of the spring and giving him a chance to establish timing, leadership, and confidence (in my opinion).

I'm hoping for the slow start as well, and getting back to conference play as you discussed.

But…we didn't play this poorly at Wisconson last year.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 9:46 AM #380072

OK, again I am screaming this from the rooftops. Kendel much lost play calling duties going into week 4 last year.

In college today it's not crazy hard to find guys who know how to coach a spread offense and score you see it everywhere now.

As for Wisconsin game last year if they had anything slightly above average QB we lose that by another 2-3 TD's
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I cannot find a full box score stat release on the game anywhere (goes all the way into D stats and even game participation), even on the FAU site. Would like to see D numbers as well as O personally
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 12:46 PM #380095

I have the ESPN app on my phone. It always has a complete box score for all games. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: