Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Air Force @ FAU Game Thread - September 9, 2018

Add topic

OwlPT15 said

Robison isn’t scared to take a shot I’ll give him that. And he showed some of the throwing ability that we’ve been hearing rumors about. Did anyone else expect him to be a little bit better running the ball? I was under the impression he had the profile of a dual threat quarterback. I’m not complaining it’s just different. I thought Driskel was actually very underrated as a runner and maybe we have given Chris a little too much credit in that area. 
Posted On: Sep 8th 2018, 7:52 PM #380461

I'm certainly not complaining about Robison after today, he put on a show. However, I thought the same thing – but I'm thinking this may be an O Line issue as well. There are no holes for any running game whatsoever right now. Can utilize the BCU game to fix things there.
Back to the top

I thought the Oline looked okay.  Robison had all day.  We didn't use Motor a whole lot, and he was one hold away from having 100+ and 2 tds.  Robison is a great passer, easy to see why coaches went with him.  One thing, he needs to work on his RPO reads, Driskell excelled at that and it showed with his and motors rushing yards.
Back to the top

d-owl said

DeltAlumnus said

illinoisowl said

DeltAlumnus said

d-owl said

OwlPT15 said

The defense got beat up a bit today hopefully everybody is back to full speed for UCF.

The game wasn’t perfect but we won without a huge game from Motor (which doesn’t happen often) and the defense actually made some good tackles (also a pretty uncommon occurrence).
The only things I can complain about are special teams and attendance. 
Posted On: Sep 8th 2018, 6:53 PM #380448

I'm concerned about the O Line. Maybe they are still settling in, but my goodness.
Posted On: Sep 8th 2018, 6:56 PM #380449
I mean I thought Robison had all day to throw many times today 
Posted On: Sep 8th 2018, 6:59 PM #380450

I think he is talking about the running game. The o-line could not open things up.
Posted On: Sep 8th 2018, 7:05 PM #380451

Air Force probably put everything into stopping bye run today and wanted Robison to beat them. 
Posted On: Sep 8th 2018, 7:06 PM #380452

So will just about every other team though. Hopefully they get it together to open things up for the running game so that teams will have to pick their poison. Last year teams new the ball was going to Motor and it didn't matter, as the O line was so good. New guys settling in, I hope. I wouldn't expect the same aerial attack against UCF, we have to establish the running game.
Posted On: Sep 8th 2018, 7:25 PM #380457

UCF D is not good, there WILL BE a lot of points scored in that game!
Back to the top

Sorry for the delay on the stats folks. Needless to say, I'm sure these are much prettier to look at than last week's.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

This offense is going to be NUTS once teams begin to respect our passing ability. That will give Motor more room to run, which will then open passes up top all over again. IT WILL BE AN ENDLESS CYCLE OF DESTRUCTION.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Was a good showing vs a tough team to look good against.

AF was stacking the box with 8-9 guys all game.  If they defended the pass Motor would have ran for 200+.  We adjusted and threw the ball all over the place.

Our Oline played like they should have replacing 3 good starters.  I have a feeling this will start the gel next week.

Will say that while the D played well, it Jalen getting injured hurts.  Hope it’s not too serious.  #2 is a beast or there but he looks to be playing a bit banged up as well.  Wouldn’t mind seeing him sit out next week to heal a bit before the ever important UCF matchup.

The “we aren’t as good as last year” crowd…we would have lost this game in week 2 last year IMO.  Let’s see where this team is after the UCF game before assuming we aren’t as good.

The good news is we have a QB that is looking comfortable running the offense.  That is ever so important in the quest to win CUSA again.  Teams want to stack the box and give us 1-1 downfield…we have a guy that can exploit it.  As far as his running ability - let’s see what happens when a team plays us honest defensively.  QB sure isn’t going to be able to run if Motor can’t.

Next week is a perfect game for us to get some things done and gain chemistry before the UCF game.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Good win vs. a good team even though we got STUPID again at the end!! Don't know if blocked punt was fault of Coach or players. Had 3 blockers in front of Punter and two things happened; 1) Punter veered to left of wall to kick and 2) wall let rush come in untouched from that VERY SIDE!

Actually both were dumb. IMHO with 13 point lead  and under a minute left could have run around, taken a safety leaving us up 11 and now a free kick with NO chance of blocked kick, especially after last week! Now you have an 11 point lead, 2 scores PLUS a 2pt. conversion to tie us and by then 30-40 seconds left!

It is called game and clock management and we STILL don't do that well. Who else thought Marshall from last year again replay - which it turned out it was the same result - thank God!

Good game Owls, for the first 59 minutes, we survived is all I really can say. Continue to get BETTER and get SMARTER!
Back to the top

At the time, even though I know Kiffin is ultra-aggressive I questioned him going for it (and not getting it) on 4th down deep in FAU territory.  Then I remembered the OU punting, and THEN we all saw the next punt attempt.  So for the rest of this season, I won't question Kiffin going for it on any 4th downs.  I was sitting in the endzone, and the AF guy just ran right up the middle - nobody at the line nor the 2nd line touched him.  Looked an awful lot like the OU block where they could have probably just taken the ball out of the punters hand.

As for the line play, I know AF (and all the other teams) geared up to stop Motor, and we took advantage of having some good WRs and a QB who can get the ball out and down the field.  But the run blocking still worries me a little.  I did not see them getting any push - it was almost like they setup for pass blocking even on running plays.  Motor is having to work very hard for anything he gets right now, but hopefully the downfield passing will end up freeing him up.
Back to the top

Lots of positive from this game.

I'll focus on the negative for now…. SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!
2 blocked punts returned for a TD in 2 games. I'm very concerned about this. The ending of that game had a CP feeling to it. Yes i'm referring to both Pellini & Partridge. Had a flashback of 4Q blown leads, xtra kicks being missed or blocked.
Anyways, that's something that needs to be addressed. We will need to run on all cylinders against all our opponent moving forward.
Back to the top
Control functions: