Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ #18 UCF Game Thread - September 21, 2018

Add topic

walty12 said

This is a 7-5 team folks.
Posted On: Sep 21st 2018, 11:44 PM #381137

Agreed. I've seen absolutely nothing after 4 games to make me think we won't get carved up by Stockstill next week or Fine in Denton. I don't see a win in Huntington either, and this looks like a team that can slip up in one or more of the perceived "gimme" games. The naysayers who said losing a lot from our coaching staff would hurt look absolutely correct, this is not as good of a team as we all thought it would be – for various reasons. If we didn't have that fake punt in the 2nd quarter which shifted momentum somewhat, this game would have got real ugly by halftime.
Back to the top

I will agree that this team has issues. Our D is soft. I don't know what "improvements" the guy from SoMiss installed , but they aren't working. Our kicking game sucks bad. The dancing punter is being avoided. But the biggest difference in this game was  they had Milton and we didn't. He was the game changer. Without him, we are in the game.
Back to the top

Switch QB and WE win. And the D going soft with zone is, excuse, just plain STUPID! We hold the lead or at least only give up a FG at end of half and we have a chance. That quick easy score by them after we FIGHT back to go up 17-14 injected LIFE into them and killed us! THAT was the ball game right there! Thanks for nothing Coach P!
Back to the top

walty12 said

This is a 7-5 team folks.
Posted On: Sep 21st 2018, 11:44 PM #381137

perspective.  we all would have given our right eye to be 7-5 and Bowl eligible at any point in the past 10 years.
Back to the top

What did we say we were after going 1-3 last season and losing to Buffalo? A 5-7 team? 

We are where we logically thought we would be. 2-2 after losing to 2 top 15 teams in the country. 
Back to the top

i have to agree though our defense is not as aggressive as it was last year. we are giving up to many big plays. Take a look at games so far. We allowed deep passes and some big runs when we switched to zones instead of the man. Last year for a time we were standing toe to toe, with Navy, then my old homestate and still my number one team Wisconsin. This new defense coordinator is too quick to switch back and play something less aggressive when he has the lead and with the teams we are facing this year, that could kill us. You have to be aggressive versus teams we are facing and we are not that anymore.
Back to the top

This is NOT 7-5 team.  If it wasn’t for a couple bad decisions by a red shirt freshman QB we were in that game until the end.  That team is going to score a lot of points against every team they play.  

We lost to Buffalo last year and then went through CUSA like like a hot knife through butter.  This team is capable of the same. I am not predicting it but it’s very possible.

Some people need to chill out, any sane person knew that most likely we would be  2 - 2 at this point.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Switch QB and WE win. And the D going soft with zone is, excuse, just plain STUPID! We hold the lead or at least only give up a FG at end of half and we have a chance. That quick easy score by them after we FIGHT back to go up 17-14 injected LIFE into them and killed us! THAT was the ball game right there! Thanks for nothing Coach P!
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2018, 7:26 AM #381146
You seem to know all.
Cause if I recall you said in another post we tonplay more man and now you’re complaining about soft zones…. Dude our CB’s have been exposed. Lewis and Tooley who is undersized has been exposed. We ran a lot of cover 1 and cover 4 yesterday and they were beaten bad. Last year some of the guys were protected by the scheme. 

Want better D? Get better pkayers. 

As for the QB again he is a RS Fr there will be ugly throws. 
On the POD the Ucf guy from Knightline Milton was boo’d of the field in last home game his fr year.
Let him develop.
D’Andre has not earned the starting job.  
Back to the top

Some other interesting tidbits from last night…

Walking out of the stadium a guy was talking to me and telling me how good FAU looked and that we had to remember we were playing a ranked team.  I reminded him we played Oklahoma in week #1 and he was like "oh yeah - well I was trying to make you feel good and remind you how good UCF was".

On the local sports radio station that covers UCF, the announcers were tying to compare the 56 points UCF scored with the 62 that OU scored.  UCF absolutely couldn't have scored a single point more - not so true for OU.

On the UCF message board they were freaking out in the 2nd quarter, but by the end were making comments about scoring nearly as many as OU and saying things like FAU would have done much better against OU in week 4 (probably true on O, but not on D).

Clearly we ran the ball much better last night, but UCF continues to have a big chip on their shoulder about their ranking and are stretching for recognition with comparisons.  In my opinion, OU (if interested in the game) would absolutely destroy the Knights.  OU called the dogs off in the friggin' 1st half, and could have scored every time they had the ball if they wanted to - and probably could have blocked every punt we tried if they wanted to.  The score at OU could have been 100-0 had they really wanted it to be.  Their athletes are that much bigger and faster and skilled than FAU, where as I didn't see that much difference in the players last night.  Milton is the obvious standout for them, and Singletary for FAU.  Everywhere else I didn't see the speed and athleticism being that different.

I am not trying to imply UCF is not a top-15 (or better) team or that they aren't 14 points better than FAU (where the game stayed for much of the night), but OU is clearly the best team we have played and through 3 or 4 games even OU is not the best team in they country.  FAU's schedule and 2-2 record is tougher than last year's schedule and 1-3 record.  So as we come back down to Earth and play CUSA teams, I still feel pretty good about our chances going forward.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Sep 22nd 2018, 7:26 AM #381146

I'm with OC. I have no idea what you're talking about. What I saw was a defensive backfield that either is wildly overrated or just missed a ton of coverages last night. Maybe they don't know the playbook. Our DL played badly again. No matter how well our offense could've played, we still lose badly. UCF stopped passing and moving at lightning speed, or else they would've scored 70.
Back to the top
Control functions: