Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Marshall Game Thread - Oct 20th, 2018

Add topic

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Lane hired the OC and most of the other coaches. My confidence with Lane is shaky at this point. He had a bunch of good coaches last year, the question is were they really the reason for the success we had last year and he was just the figurehead taking the credit?
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:26 PM #382250
Ahhh, you said that out loud.

Did you mean to use your outdoor voice?
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:31 PM #382252
Sorry, was I not supposed to say that out loud? I am confused as to how to respond to this post.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:35 PM #382253
Ha! Sorry, I wasn't picking at you.

We as fans have been very accepting of Kiffin and haven't really voiced much criticism.

I was just confirming you were - I was confused by your post. ;)
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:40 PM #382255
Let it be hereafter and for evermore known that I am voicing criticism of Kiffin. He is responsible for this team and the team is failing. He needs to answer for that. I doubt we are bowling this season based on what I have seen.

My question about the coaching staff this year versus last year stands as well.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 6:46 PM #382256

every coach gets a few years to get their recruits in, settle into their style, etc….

Lane has had one recruiting class, and an 11-3 season under his belt….I'll give him the benefit of some time to get it going….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Lane hired the OC and most of the other coaches. My confidence with Lane is shaky at this point. He had a bunch of good coaches last year, the question is were they really the reason for the success we had last year and he was just the figurehead taking the credit?

Sorry, was I not supposed to say that out loud? I am confused as to how to respond to this post.

We as fans have been very accepting of Kiffin and haven't really voiced much criticism.

Let it be hereafter and for evermore known that I am voicing criticism of Kiffin. He is responsible for this team and the team is failing. He needs to answer for that. I doubt we are bowling this season based on what I have seen.

every coach gets a few years to get their recruits in, settle into their style, etc….

Lane has had one recruiting class, and an 11-3 season under his belt….I'll give him the benefit of some time to get it going….
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 8:12 PM #382269

I would normally agree with this generally – however, coming off last year with many of the same players returning, there absolutely should not be this type of drop off imo.  
Back to the top

d-owl said

Silver_Bullet32 said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

I would normally agree with this generally – however, coming off last year with many of the same players returning, there absolutely should not be this type of drop off imo.  
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 8:16 PM #382270

This. It is coaching overall.
Back to the top

I think the main thing Kiffin is responsible for this year is the replacement hires he made…the players didn't make plays today - plain and simple…in addition to what I already posted, how many drops did we have (at least five)? It was like this game was not going to go our way even if we had NFL players lined up.

That said, overall (all games included) there has been a drop-off that could have been avoided IMHO, but only with better hires…

We're terrible in special teams aside from some good returns, we are not playing well on the offensive line given the talent we have there, and we can't execute offense quickly with consistency.

This is what gave us such an ADVANTAGE in games all of last year…we're having to call timeout because our QB can't figure out the correct play. Driskel was so good at that last year…and Kiffin even commented on it multiple times saying it was like having another coach on the field. So yeah, that is coaching from a development standpoint…but then again, we're also seeing that Driskel was super smart.

Meanwhile, Houston (Coach Briles) is 4th in all of the NCAA with 552 yards per game and Driskel is probably re-thinking his decision to leave since he would have been put in more than once and likely would have won the job again.

On a side note:

The Cougars were 41st at the end of last season and have a +120 yard increase this year - all due to Briles' system it would appear.
Back to the top

I honestly think we are all on the same page for the most part. I'm looking at the staff overall, but Lane is the HC responsible for what happens on the field ultimately - the buck stops with him. I trust him to figure it out, but he and the staff overall do not get high marks from me with what I've seen thus far after 7 games. I think he would even acknowledge that, that is what he signed up for. One thing not being addressed much, but I think this team's expectations were not managed well and they indeed ingested "rat poison" before the season, have got hit in the mouth, and their response has been disappointing.

I agree 100% on the OC, losing Briles has shown to be a huge loss.
Back to the top

d-owl said

Silver_Bullet32 said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

he has a new OC, new QB, a new #1 receiver, a bunch of new O linemen…..I hear you, but I don't see it the same way….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

d-owl said

I agree 100% on the OC, losing Briles has shown to be a huge loss.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 8:41 PM #382273

Briles makes $400K at Houston, he made $350K at FAU.

SMH…
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

d-owl said

Silver_Bullet32 said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

he has a new OC, new QB, a new #1 receiver, a bunch of new O linemen…..I hear you, but I don't see it the same way….
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 9:00 PM #382274

Can agree to disagree, but with that we were still the easy favorite to repeat in the conference with all the key players coming back and a "potential" upgrade at the QB position.
Back to the top

d-owl said

Silver_Bullet32 said

d-owl said

Silver_Bullet32 said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 9:00 PM #382274

Can agree to disagree, but with that we were still the easy favorite to repeat in the conference with all the key players coming back and a "potential" upgrade at the QB position.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2018, 9:03 PM #382276

Tough loss but clearly this is a much different team on the road than at home. I still think we get to a bowl with WKU and Charlotte still on the schedule. LA Tech struggled against a winless UTEP team earlier today and we historically own FIU even in down years so 6-6 is def still attainable and it won’t be like 2013 when we were passed over. Kiffin’s celebrity will get us to the Bahamas/Boca Bowl at least
Back to the top

Given a limited number of tie-ins, I'm concerned about a 6-6 finish and head-to-head performance playing a part…
Back to the top
Control functions: