Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: FAU @ Auburn - 10/26/13 @ 7:30 PM

Add topic

walty12 said

The way the D played…Pelini should be embarrassed.  
Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 12:55 PM #320286

But wait aren't we much improved…..
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

The way the D played…Pelini should be embarrassed.  
Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 12:55 PM #320286

But wait aren't we much improved…..
Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 4:32 PM #320287

Stats say we are, last nights effort was unlike the rest of the season…

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

After 24 hours  to think about it, I feel, (and hope) that we overlooked Auburn. Now stick with me, my story gets better

Essentially, we knew beating all-barn was virtually impossible, and we knew that we had to win one of the next two games, so I don't think anyone came out of the locker room last night looking to shock the world and beat em, we are focused on Tulane. with the perfect storm of them getting the ball to start, scoring with ease, FAU fumbling on their possession(when we were actually moving the ball well) and then it's 14-0 in the first 3 minutes and we pretty much mailed it in after that.  

I hope we mailed it in, because we looked like we didn't care out there.  
Back to the top

teambeer said

I hope we mailed it in, because we looked like we didn't care out there.  
Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 8:21 PM #320294

Or they were just "that good".

I mean, we are talking about the 11th ranked team in the country here…sometimes it appears that we (myself included) just have too much expectation(s).

The early turnover was indeed a dagger, although not sure how much of a difference not turning the ball over then would have made in the end. Might have just pissed them off more if we scored - they were simply running at will against our defense.

Let's see what happens with Tulane. Forget Vegas, pound for pound we are a better team - period.

If we have a meltdown in that game, definitely time to start discussing the future of the program…….
Back to the top

I hope we win against Tulane but they ARE 6-2 already.

To be honest, at this point I would be more surprised if we finished 6-6 than if we finish 4-8. We're so good at defeating ourselves, it's not unreasonable to think that we could easily lose 1 or 2 of the next four games. And I think Pelini's starting to realize it too.

It would look pretty bad to follow up a 3-9 season with a 4-8 season.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

OwlsMan74 said

I think we played well tonight; however, the Owls could have been better in some areas.  

First of all, after watching the season so far we seem to fumble or make stupid plays in the final minutes of the quarters.  Due to the pressure of the time, the Offense turns into a bunch of speed demons and rush their plays.  The really have to learn how to mange their playing time so the pressure does not build and allow the other team to take advantage to FAU.  

My second area of improvement could go with my first, but it is to CATCH the ball.  With a pass completion rate of 42% we are not going to make many large yard plays; therefore, if fixed, the yardage gains along with other things could put us in a tighter spread game.

Hopefully these can be addressed before next week's Homecoming game. I hope I am not the only one seeing these shortfalls, and that someone on the coaching staff or other departments can bring this up.

Posted On: Oct 26th 2013, 11:18 PM #320274
You thought we played well tonight???? We were down 28 in the first 16min

Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 3:39 AM #320278
Yes I think we did well tonight.  Compared to a ranked SEC team, we were not bound to total victory.  We did give up a lot in the beginning, but held them the rest of the game.  We are an improving team with a while ahead of us.  Every week we improve; therefore, we do well overall.

Back to the top

OwlsMan74 said

owlcountry40 said

OwlsMan74 said

I think we played well tonight; however, the Owls could have been better in some areas.  

First of all, after watching the season so far we seem to fumble or make stupid plays in the final minutes of the quarters.  Due to the pressure of the time, the Offense turns into a bunch of speed demons and rush their plays.  The really have to learn how to mange their playing time so the pressure does not build and allow the other team to take advantage to FAU.  

My second area of improvement could go with my first, but it is to CATCH the ball.  With a pass completion rate of 42% we are not going to make many large yard plays; therefore, if fixed, the yardage gains along with other things could put us in a tighter spread game.

Hopefully these can be addressed before next week's Homecoming game. I hope I am not the only one seeing these shortfalls, and that someone on the coaching staff or other departments can bring this up.

Posted On: Oct 26th 2013, 11:18 PM #320274
You thought we played well tonight???? We were down 28 in the first 16min

Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 3:39 AM #320278
Yes I think we did well tonight.  Compared to a ranked SEC team, we were not bound to total victory.  We did give up a lot in the beginning, but held them the rest of the game.  We are an improving team with a while ahead of us.  Every week we improve; therefore, we do well overall.

Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 11:37 PM #320302
We ou
Held them at the end becuase they took their starters out. 
Auburn could have put 100 up.
We got rolled last night we have regressed if anything.
How I'm the heck do you see Improvment in that garbage effort that was put on the feild last night after you had two weeks to prepare.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I'm hoping for the best but I think a 5-7 is a reasonable expectation. Call me petty but if we don't destroy FIU to avenge ourselves from last year then I'd consider this whole season a failure.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I hope we win against Tulane but they ARE 6-2 already.

To be honest, at this point I would be more surprised if we finished 6-6 than if we finish 4-8. We're so good at defeating ourselves, it's not unreasonable to think that we could easily lose 1 or 2 of the next four games. And I think Pelini's starting to realize it too.

Posted On: Oct 27th 2013, 10:37 PM #320301

One positive, Tulane is bowl eligible already, they can certainly let their guard down now, it's a good time for us to be playing them.

I felt like we'd have 5-7 wins this year and still do, I think the thing most people forget is when you predict 5 wins, it means you have to sit through 7 losses which sucks.

Also, we don't typically face a top ranked team like Auburn this late in the year, when they get rolling. Week one and two, those teams use us to figure out what's working, by now, they know how to beat Johnny Manziel. next year, Nebraska, with a new head coach, first game of the year, I like our chances much more.
Back to the top
Control functions: