Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: UTSA @ FAU - 09/27/14 @ 5:00 PM

Add topic

The most exciting home win since the UAB game in '11.  

Why on earth was that last kickoff not a squib kick?

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

Posted On: Sep 27th 2014, 11:56 PM #335682

Ha! That was what I just said to my wife
Back to the top

OwlBroker said

BeastOwl said

Ha! That was what I just said to my wife
Posted On: Sep 27th 2014, 11:57 PM #335684

Good thing our kicker has some wheels.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Glad I kept the faith but there's a lot of things to clean up. So, SO thankful for this DUB!
Back to the top

savor the win boys, but remain focus. still a long way to go.
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

I'm just guessing but perhaps our squib kicks in practice haven't looked good.  It's not the easiest thing to do
Back to the top

owlmart said

BeastOwl said

I'm just guessing but perhaps our squib kicks in practice haven't looked good.  It's not the easiest thing to do
Posted On: Sep 28th 2014, 10:17 AM #335705
Than kick it high and short to an up man, usually they free catch those if they are smart. We knew their return man was very dangerous so dumb to let him return it. Or better yet, drive the kick-off through the end zone for a touchback ar THEIR 25!

Anyhow great final stand by the D for the save.

UTSA is a good team with something like 36 seniors on the two deep, the most in the country by far! Yet we settled down and scored against their good D and stopped the turnovers after the first two possesions giving us the chance to stay in the game. Then the O did a GREAT job in driving and scoring two TD's late to win.

Great win Owls - now kick FIU's behinds!
Back to the top

I had read that UTSA was a dangerous team that was much better than their record so I knew we would be pretty evenly matched and it was going to be a nailbiter.

The tailgating continues to be impressive. It wasn't that long ago that the idea of tailgating an FAU game was an afterthought, like if you absolutely couldn't think of anything else to do then you would hang out at the FAU tailgate.

Now people are excited for it and going all out. The outfits, the colors, the celebration, the dancing… everything that you had hoped FAU would get to one day and we're finally here. It only gets bigger from here.

Then the game itself. Brought two friends, first time at an FAU game, and I hoped we'd put on a show. When we fell behind 10-0 and they started checking Facebook on their phones, I was a little disappointed.

Couldn't believe those first two drives. Couldn't believe that Quez fumbled again - just blew my mind that he wouldn't put extra emphasis on ball security after last week.  I'm glad that it was just in his head and Partridge was able to help him get focused and redeem himself in a big way.

And while our guys put in a tremendous effort and have a lot of talent, it's no doubt that we were very lucky to win this game. For most of the game UTSA looked the better team: staying ahead of us, continually converting on 3rd and short, and stifling our run game for the most part. My friend thought it was a bad idea to run on 2nd down because you keep putting yourself in 3rd and long situations and against good teams like UTSA, that often means 3 and out. And we had a few of those drives.

I saw people stream out at the end of the 3rd and it was hard to blame them. It looked pretty certain that we couldn't climb back into it. Still, I wanted to stay til the end and see it through.

Fortunately we got hot at the right time. It was just clicking. Our last drive, I knew we were going to score; wasn't about if, it was about when.

And those last 20 seconds of gameplay, especially with that "did that really just happen?" kickoff return, it felt like if we let them score we would be known as the team of epic collapses.

They lined up at the 13. The crowd was so tense. You could feel it in the air.

And when the ball dropped on that final play, the crowd erupted in such a way you'd think we'd just won a bowl game. There was so much pride afterward, even after my crew went out people were asking if we won and congratulating us.

What a fantastic night. What a fantastic win.
Back to the top
Control functions: