Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Marshall @ FAU Game Thread - October 17, 2015

Add topic

Time to get the younger guys playing more and more…

Coaching staff is going to need these guys prepared for next season.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

nice to see trey on there, hope he can really turn out like we all hope
Back to the top

When will it end?
Back to the top

I'm thinking back a couple months , when this site had a segment on " how many games will this years team win". My biggest issue was  how can you predict when you have no knowledge of the players. At this point in the season, I know enough that we are still not very good. Yes, I think we need to see what some of next years guys can do in live football games.Nothing beats experience. I also have a feeling that when we try and predict next seasons win totals , we will have a couple more unknown factors. Time will tell.
Back to the top

Notables from Marshall Head Coach Doc Holliday's FAU Presser…

On FAU

They’ll rally and we’ll always take their best shot. The best game they played a year ago was up here and two years ago we were back down there. It was a dog fight and had to kick a field goal there at the end to win it. We know our kids will understand by the end of the week what we’re getting into when we go down there and we better be prepared, ready to play and match their intensity or we have no chance.

On FAU’s speed

There’s no doubt they’re skilled. They have as much skill as anybody in our league and, defensively, they run as well as anybody in our league because of where they’re located. To answer your question, yes, they look athletic team out there. The thing they’ve got is a great punter. He’s a tremendous punter and he and Tyler are neck and neck. Their kickoff guy is like Curraj because he kicks them and they’re unreturnable so there are similarities in the kicking game because of the two guys they have kicking the ball.

On FAU’s defensive front

It’ll be as good as a front four we’ll face all year and maybe the best we’ll face to date. They have good skill, the one player number seven, he’s started the last couple of years. They’re good in the secondary and they have linebackers who can run. Like I said, it’ll be a good challenge for us.

On Jaquez Johnson

When they run him, you always have that extra in the box, but you lose that hat because it’s a quarterback. They spread you out and he always gives you a gap that you have a hard time getting control of because of all the quarterback runs that go along with it. He’s a load; you tackle him and execute your technique, but a year ago out here you look up and it’s second and five. They list him at 240 but it looks like he’s 260. He’s big, physical, strong and the thing about him is he has a great lower body. You look at him and he’s not a fat guy, but he’s got a great lower body, and extremely strong legs. You know with D.J. Hunter, I was watching some tape there this morning and he’s a good tackling linebacker, but even he bounced off him last year. He’s a handful and you better tackle him low.

On Marshall Team Health

Fortunately, we’re about as healthy as we’ve been all year. We’re going to have more guys out there practicing today than we’ve had probably since the first game so that’s a good feeling. We’ve been playing a lot of young kids but we fought through that stretch where we had to play some young kids to get through it. We did and we’ll be better down the road because throughout the rest of the year we’re going to need some of those kids who got the experience.

There’s no doubt the injuries affect the continuity because of the leadership they provide, number one. The blitz pick up; (Litton and Birdsong) are a lot more comfortable with Remi (Watson) and Devon (Johnson) in there picking up blitzes for four years. They give a lot more confidence I’m sure, to Chase. That being said, (Tony) Pittman has done a tremendous job too. That kid went in there and did a tremendous job. He’s going to be a really good player, but unfortunately, he’s been out now for a week, so we should get him back pretty quick.
Back to the top

Rick said

The Owls opened as +6.5 underdogs, and that quickly moved to +7.5.
Posted On: Oct 11th 2015, 4:33 PM #350401

Line has since dropped to +5 for the Owls.
Back to the top

Injury updates as of Friday 9:00 AM:

Johnson is expected to play.

Stoshak is expected to play.

Young has been cleared, and is expected to play.
Back to the top

Rick said

Rick said

The Owls opened as +6.5 underdogs, and that quickly moved to +7.5.
Posted On: Oct 11th 2015, 4:33 PM #350401

Line has since dropped to +5 for the Owls.

Posted On: Oct 16th 2015, 9:12 AM #350568

Nice! :cool:
Back to the top

Noon ! Oh god. Not a fan Mr. Chun !
Back to the top

A better bet would be the odds of another lightening delay.
Back to the top
Control functions: