Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

MTSU @ FAU Game Thread - September 30, 2017

Add topic

Driskel hands off to RB, shuffle pass off to RB,  lateral to RB….as long as he makes no mistakes I can live with that,
Back to the top

I'm a Parr fan but tonight Driskel ran and managed Briles' O  just fine. He looked bad on a couple of series.(a couple where we tried to pass) Some how in the last year he has forgotten how to throw down field. He didn't do anything that should keep him from starting next week at ODU. Our O line was moving people  tonight. Very disciplined.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I'm a Parr fan but tonight Driskel ran and managed Briles' O  just fine. He looked bad on a couple of series.(a couple where we tried to pass) Some how in the last year he has forgotten how to throw down field. He didn't do anything that should keep him from starting next week at ODU. Our O line was moving people  tonight. Very disciplined.
Posted On: Sep 30th 2017, 11:31 PM #371563

I don’t think the battle is over yet. Kiffin didn’t really give him a rousing review in the postgame. He had willie Wright wide open and wouldn’t pull the trigger.

But he didn’t turn the ball over. And made the basic throws
Back to the top

He botched three major throws, and that is when we said, no more passing plays - aside from routine stuff.

Time to look to next year, because there isn't enough separation to cause them to change now given who we will be facing, IMHO.
Back to the top

No doubt Parr is a better passer. Driskel's  completions were very simple. And his misses were the kind that  made you scratch your head. Still want to see Franklin worked in more. You can actually see the coaching difference. You can feel the coaching difference. Lets go to  ODU and start a win streak. Now there's a phrase we haven't used in years. "WIN STREAK"
Back to the top

I just looked over ESPN’s football Power index for the rest of the season it has us as the favorite in every game except La Tech, and very slight favorite vs Marshall.
Back to the top

Seems to me the staff thinks there is no real difference maker at the QB position with DeAndre Johnson out, and they are just going to go with a strict "game management" philosophy while letting the RBs go. Driskel is probably the better "game manager", but we will probably not see any dynamic passing/receiving game this year if he continues to start. At least Parr offers the threat of a deep pass. Driskel can't throw one. Obviously I don't care so long as we win – but we are not utilizing guys like McNeal, Soloman, Wright etc the way they could have been utilized with more dynamic QB play. Anyway, great win last night – I think C USA took notice that there could be something here. Obviously a big test next week. Let's get to .500.
Back to the top

d-owl said

Seems to me the staff thinks there is no real difference maker at the QB position with DeAndre Johnson out, and they are just going to go with a strict "game management" philosophy while letting the RBs go. Driskel is probably the better "game manager", but we will probably not see any dynamic passing/receiving game this year if he continues to start. At least Parr offers the threat of a deep pass. Driskel can't throw one. Obviously I don't care so long as we win – but we are not utilizing guys like McNeal, Soloman, Wright etc the way they could have been utilized with more dynamic QB play. Anyway, great win last night – I think C USA took notice that there could be something here. Obviously a big test next week. Let's get to .500.
Posted On: Oct 1st 2017, 9:24 AM #371571
Agreed on thew QB issue. But Parr DOES give us a threat off the bench, ya know everyone in gonna put 8 or even 9 in the box here on out….

What I don't understand is why play action  is either not being used or not being run effectively. I am not at the games so you guys tell me. But even a decent HS team if it can run well, can also pass using play action, and I guess with the TE's being used effectively, that my be happening a bit. Can't complain about a 75% completion percentage except that the misses are BAD misses, Parr WAS hitting the Big plays and we will need Driskel to hit those type of plays vs. LT, WKU and Marshall! if he does the run game will get REALLY SCARY GOOD!
Back to the top

A few things from last night game.

1.) It was first responders night and there was supposed to be displays of fire trucks, ambulances and police vehicles for the kids to see, but there wasn't any around.

2.) Usually the opponent team has a large tent for alumni tailgate, but there was none last night at the site of the new center. Don't know if MTSU didn't have the fans travel enough for that, or they are getting ready to put shovels in the dirt for the new center.

3.) The game announcer and other events were taken off because MTSU claimed it interferred with their radio signals. (Rolls my eyes.) I dont believe so, but that is up for speculation.

4.) Driskell showed a level of flashness, but still missed open receivers badly or continued to hang out in the pocket despite four to five seconds, when he could have run and picked up five yards. one

5.) Defense did a great job of bending but not breaking last night and getting turnovers.

6.) Pentalties got cleaned up last night so that was a huge improvement.

7.) Student section filled out at the beginning but emptied at half time, same thing with the fans. kind of disappointing. FAU and team needs to find a way to communicate with fans and students that we need them for all four quarters especially in close games.

Those points that I saw and got info on. But overall great win for the Owls and momentum going into next week. 
Back to the top

Greeat notes USMC!

Here is a story on the game from the national media;

Lane Kiffin and Florida Atlantic Roll in Conference USA Opener

Good stuff! FINALLY!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: