Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

North Texas @ FAU Homecoming Game Thread - October 21st, 2017

Add topic

GeorgiaOwl said

Speaking of Coach K and our Coaching situation, I remember back a few years when Partridge was hired someone on here HIGHLY recommended THIS guy for the job;

Georgia Southern fires head coach Tyson Summers

Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 5:36 PM #372119

Yes! I remember OC40 throwing a fit because we didn't hire him
Back to the top

If they can reach out to me to ask for a donation, surely they can reach out to me and let me know it's homecoming.  I went to the UM vs FAU game last year and I still get emails from UM to buy tickets, why is it so hard for FAU to do that with alum?  Kiffin has held up his part of the bargain, time for the powers that be do their part to get people in attendance starting with the Marshall game, they are the biggest conference draw, 20,000 should be the minimum in attendance.
Back to the top

owlmart said

GeorgiaOwl said

Speaking of Coach K and our Coaching situation, I remember back a few years when Partridge was hired someone on here HIGHLY recommended THIS guy for the job;

Georgia Southern fires head coach Tyson Summers

Posted On: Oct 22nd 2017, 5:36 PM #372119

Yes! I remember OC40 throwing a fit because we didn't hire him
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 9:08 AM #372129

Well that’s on Tyson for taking the GSU. The issue is there you have these old fans who just want to run the triple option and when Tyson rolled in he never ran that or was part of a team that had. So Instead of hiring people that he wanted or having them run the system he wanted. They ran some half ass version of the triple option and it was a mess. 

Think of it this was if Kendal Briles was to become the head coach and our old fan base scream that we run the pro because that what has worked for us and the mish mesh of trying to make fans happy and run some offense that he doesn’t know got him in this situation. Yea, sometimes coaches fail for many reason because the situation they take is set up for failure or it’s just on them.

Also I think my anger was more pointed at others saying “Charlie needs more time”.

Back to the top

d-owl said

Owl2Doc said

IMO the attendance issue is all of these things mentioned; it really depends on the individual. Ask 20 different people, students or otherwise, why they don't attend more games and you may get 20 different answers.

The thing that really bothers me is the approach to Homecoming. As a student I was on the Homecoming committee and the feeling I got from the other organizers on staff was that Homecoming, despite the name, is essentially a pride/competition week for the current students… which is weird because the whole point of Homecoming is to reconnect alumni with the school so that alumni and current students come together for events.

As an aside, are they not calling it "Owl Prowl" anymore? The Homecoming website just calls it Homecoming. Google search for Owl Prowl shows last time was 2014?
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 6:24 AM #372127

You make a great point re: alumni. As someone who was involved in alumni/giving as a student (and shortly thereafter), I am disappointed at the lack of outreach I see from the school. Therefore your comments about homecoming are not surprising.  Granted I may not be the most proactive alum (doesn't help that I am in NY), but when I compare FAU's efforts to the other institution I attended after graduating from FAU, it's really subpar IMO. Most FAU alum were commuter students and didn't take away much from their FAU experience other than going to class in between jobs and finally getting a degree – I get that. However, the alumni base is so big the school should be able to have good outreach efforts to get more interest the program. Regardless, if the team keeps winning, fans will start coming out more consistently – you would have to think.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 6:46 AM #372128

I agree and also disagree lol - FAU needs to do a better job of reaching out, but I hear from FAU a LOT more than I hear from Alabama. FAU sends me postcards every 4-6 weeks, and I get a postcard from Bama around Christmas and a little before tax time.
Back to the top

Has there ever been a reunion organized by year or college or department?  How many of the alumni from 67',77',87',97', and 07' were contacted for a 10/20/30/40/50 year reunion during Homecoming?

We aren't even taking care of the basics.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Cyrus Smith, who writes for Underdog Dynasty and was recently on the podcast, was saying that Fine is the best QB in the conference and that North Texas has the best overall offense in the country.

I have a feeling like this will be one of those games that comes down to the wire, classic FAU-style.
Posted On: Oct 15th 2017, 8:50 PM #371854

If we build off this last game, FAU-style will become playing smothering defense, and blowing their doors off quickly on offense to set the tone and make them catch up.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

d-owl said

Owl2Doc said

IMO the attendance issue is all of these things mentioned; it really depends on the individual. Ask 20 different people, students or otherwise, why they don't attend more games and you may get 20 different answers.

The thing that really bothers me is the approach to Homecoming. As a student I was on the Homecoming committee and the feeling I got from the other organizers on staff was that Homecoming, despite the name, is essentially a pride/competition week for the current students… which is weird because the whole point of Homecoming is to reconnect alumni with the school so that alumni and current students come together for events.

As an aside, are they not calling it "Owl Prowl" anymore? The Homecoming website just calls it Homecoming. Google search for Owl Prowl shows last time was 2014?

You make a great point re: alumni. As someone who was involved in alumni/giving as a student (and shortly thereafter), I am disappointed at the lack of outreach I see from the school. Therefore your comments about homecoming are not surprising.  Granted I may not be the most proactive alum (doesn't help that I am in NY), but when I compare FAU's efforts to the other institution I attended after graduating from FAU, it's really subpar IMO. Most FAU alum were commuter students and didn't take away much from their FAU experience other than going to class in between jobs and finally getting a degree – I get that. However, the alumni base is so big the school should be able to have good outreach efforts to get more interest the program. Regardless, if the team keeps winning, fans will start coming out more consistently – you would have to think.

I agree and also disagree lol - FAU needs to do a better job of reaching out, but I hear from FAU a LOT more than I hear from Alabama. FAU sends me postcards every 4-6 weeks, and I get a postcard from Bama around Christmas and a little before tax time.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 11:56 AM #372134

Interesting to hear that. I hear from the U a lot, get magazines, phone calls, they track me down when I move, invite me to reunions, hear from local NYC alum chapters etc. Granted they have a legit "brand".  I really don't get much, if anything from FAU. My perspective is probably colored a bit from having worked in the administration as a student and shortly thereafter when football was just a thought/being christened and we used to talk about these things. Granted that was some time ago now, but I compare my experiences with my two alma maters and FAU falls short for me. It could also be that their outreach needs an adjustment to drum up more interest and get alumni excited to go out to these games.
Back to the top

bb said

Has there ever been a reunion organized by year or college or department?  How many of the alumni from 67',77',87',97', and 07' were contacted for a 10/20/30/40/50 year reunion during Homecoming?

We aren't even taking care of the basics.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 12:02 PM #372135

That's the thing – there may have been, but I haven't heard of anything. Certainly never heard anything about homecoming. I probably would chalk it up for me currently being out of state, but I don't know anyone in-state that got anything about homecoming,
Back to the top

d-owl said

David Slavic said

d-owl said

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 11:56 AM #372134

Interesting to hear that. I hear from the U a lot, get magazines, phone calls, they track me down when I move, invite me to reunions, hear from local NYC alum chapters etc. Granted they have a legit "brand".  I really don't get much, if anything from FAU. My perspective is probably colored a bit from having worked in the administration as a student and shortly thereafter when football was just a thought/being christened and we used to talk about these things. Granted that was some time ago now, but I compare my experiences with my two alma maters and FAU falls short for me. It could also be that their outreach needs an adjustment to drum up more interest and get alumni excited to go out to these games.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2017, 12:40 PM #372138

it could also be that I actually do things at FAU - alumni association, season tickets, etc., so I'm a warmer lead, and I really don't do much to give back to Bama right now.
Back to the top

Hopefully a big win over Marshall will kickstart a bigger attendance.  I believe half of why people come to FAU games (for now) is that they want to see the other team as much as ours.  

On the other hand, did anyone see coach Wilson Love's arm brace?  I wonder what he must have done considering how crazy he is haha.  If anyone has any information on what happened please share!

Go Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: