Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Old Dominion @ FAU Game Thread - October 6th, 2018

Add topic

Lago said

I had to go look it up, but apparently that thing where the QB throws the ball down the field is called a "pass." I think we should continue to incorporate this "pass" into our offense as it makes us a "duel" threat and we do not have to kill Motor. Defense actually showed up tonight. Maybe since they didn't have to leave Boca it was not an issue. Not a great showing, but an improved showing. I am still thinking our schemes are too complicated and we just need to let them play. So who is going to post the flyers for open tryouts for field goal kicker? We'll take anyone at this point. I am so tired about hearing about a hamstring and us going for it on every fourth down or for multiple two point conversions. Overall, improved, but we still have a lot of work if we want a shot of not getting killed later in the schedule.
Posted On: Oct 6th 2018, 8:42 PM #381805

Adams State Female Football Kicker Eager To Make Her Mark « CBS Denver

Anyone?

"Of course, football is her main priority. As a redshirt last season, she spent the time honing her skills. And while she connected on a 54-yarder in practice, she’s known for her accuracy — nailing 40-to-45-yarders over and over again."

Our recruiters need some out of the box thinking here.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Owl2Doc said

I think that's a bit unfair considering how they played today.

Yes the defense was spotty but still forced 3-and-outs, got sacks, key interceptions, etc

Early on they said the FAU defense allowed an average of 24.5 points allowed last year.

We allowed 33 points this game.

So about 8.5 points more than we did last year, and ODU probably would have had one TD less if Azeez was in for the entire game.

Granted, ODU is 1-5, 0-3 overall, so I can see where you might expect us to allow less for this particular team.
Posted On: Oct 6th 2018, 9:27 PM #381813

Yeah but losing azeez is an excuse. Defense has to play better when he isn’t there.

Robison showed tonight why Lane is staying with him thru the ups and downs 
Posted On: Oct 6th 2018, 9:40 PM #381814

Did you notice that ffield was cut by more than half as FAU went for it on 4th down and gave them

the ball on their own 44. Then a sack is cancelled and a 15 yard penalty that puts the ball at the 2 yard line.

No one mentions they held ODU on 4th and inches in the red zone. They had a strong first half and the penalties and our bone headed unwillingness not to punt because our QB does not command the offense like Driskel did last year although he is hell of a pooch punter. The special teams should not scare us so much that we are too afraid to punt or kick extra points.

Back to the top

I'm so tired of all these excuses about why we're not the team we were last year. We've got the worst RG I've ever seen. This is a guy Riles, who played 4 games his freshmen year at UF and never saw the field again. He's been so bad this year that finally Kiffin yanked him for a few series. What's unbelievably revealing is that when ODU cut it to 6 in the 2nd half, Kiffin yanked Riles for Weber again. Of course with Weber we scored 3 td's on as many possessions and looked like we did in 2017. Now it's time to cut ties with Riles for good.
Back to the top

You may be right, and your insight is appreciated Ms. Weber.
Back to the top

Lago said

I had to go look it up, but apparently that thing where the QB throws the ball down the field is called a "pass." I think we should continue to incorporate this "pass" into our offense as it makes us a "duel" threat and we do not have to kill Motor. Defense actually showed up tonight. Maybe since they didn't have to leave Boca it was not an issue. Not a great showing, but an improved showing. I am still thinking our schemes are too complicated and we just need to let them play. So who is going to post the flyers for open tryouts for field goal kicker? We'll take anyone at this point. I am so tired about hearing about a hamstring and us going for it on every fourth down or for multiple two point conversions. Overall, improved, but we still have a lot of work if we want a shot of not getting killed later in the schedule.

The quarterback threw for over 300 yards and two TD's tonight.

He seems to be a pocket passer, like the quarterback last year, when we also didn't run a dual threat offense.

Devin ran 19 times (much less than 34 last week, thank goodness) and to me that seems like a respectable number for a feature running back.

What type of ratio or numbers do you prefer?

Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

He seems to be a pocket passer, like the quarterback last year, when we also didn't run a dual threat offense.

Devin ran 19 times (much less than 34 last week, thank goodness) and to me that seems like a respectable number for a feature running back.

Posted On: Oct 6th 2018, 10:51 PM #381828

Any ratio or number where we win. My point was that passing tonight, which has been lacking in our game, was great and it would be nice to see more of it instead of relying solely on the run.
Back to the top

Lago said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Lago said

Posted On: Oct 6th 2018, 10:51 PM #381828

Any ratio or number where we win. My point was that passing tonight, which has been lacking in our game, was great and it would be nice to see more of it instead of relying solely on the run.
Posted On: Oct 6th 2018, 11:10 PM #381830

I agree with this. We stopped throwing the ball down field and that’s when ODU creeped back in the game. 

Also we got extra conservative against MTSU throwing the ball down field. Robison can sling it.
Back to the top

These are comments from the UF message board about Riles transferring. "Because he offers absolutely nothing in my opinion". "As terrible as Fred Johnson is Riles is not competition for him. I've never seen any guard line up nose to nose with a defensive tackle and miss entirely as riles does on a regular basis".
Back to the top

Dude, your issue with our right guard is perhaps the weirdest issue in the history of FSU football. 
Back to the top

Lago said

Posted On: Oct 6th 2018, 11:10 PM #381830

Gotcha.  And yes, I agree with that.  Keep doing what got you there, either on offense or defense.

This is a common offensive phenomenon in football though - get the lead, get conservative, get afraid of throwing an interception, get the ball to the running back.

It was good to see us get the ball to Harrison Bryant.  He's such a threat at all levels in my opinion.

Back to the top
Control functions: