Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Old Dominion @ FAU Game Thread - October 6th, 2018

Add topic

The strangeness to me is having an excellent PASS blocking line but wanting to RUN the ball - THAT is what does not fit to me!

We HAVE a deep OL as Weber playing well last night showed - we HAVE some really big guys who with Coach Love's program should be able to blow away ANY CUSA DL if we have that OL package in the game.

Do we NOT have a goal line OL BIG Package for that 4th and short anywhwere on the field. But I mean with the WR's still split wide to prevent them from packing all 11 defenders within 2 yards of the line packed around the typical tight O formation.

We can run OR play action fake and BIG GAIN D KILLER plays!!! We pull one or two of THOSE off and no more packing the lines on 4th down!!! THEN we start converting 4th downs and no need for the punter we don't seem to have.

Oh, I agree with this thought, give the girl K a try-out! And pull up the strongest leg on the soccer team for KO's! Accuracy not needed, just blast the ball down the middle through the end zone!!!

Congrats on finishing the game last night Owls - BIG and IMPORTANT win!!

Back to the top

Rlbison eased my mind a bit last night. Good chemistry with his wr's last night. ODU has a good QB and really good wr's. They will put up some points. Two concerns from last night. First, the kicking game. We will lose a game due to this problem. And second,a lack of discipline. Penalties, ejections, personal fouls. Lane needs to address both of these things. His coaches are not doing a very good job.  JMHO.
Back to the top

I've been searching for penalty yards totals. Does anyone have that.
Back to the top

FAU:
8 penalties 
84 yards 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Thanks. I knew it was on the games stats somewhere but I don't have my glasses. Another difference between this 58 year old fan and a 20 something year old fan.
Back to the top

I enjoyed that game last night. The defense made me nervous in the third quarter but I thought they played pretty well. We had some penalties that hurt. Some near sacks that turned into huge penalties but not much we can do about that. There was some good looking and very willing tackling from the defensive backs which is so nice to see. 

Offensively, the play calling was borderline good? Still some stubbornness with Singletary up the middle but he can turn those into big plays so idk. Forward passing who would have thought that such a novel concept could have so much success? If I can put a note in the suggestion box, maybe we should try more of this “passing” stuff. 

Special teams: Whyte is awesome, and everything else could be (a lot) better. 
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I've been searching for penalty yards totals. Does anyone have that.
Posted On: Oct 7th 2018, 9:17 AM #381839

The box score is posted to the right under the articles section. 
Back to the top

Regarding the O-line, on pretty much every play that I paid close attention, their collective first move on the snap of the ball was to stand up and assume what looks like pass-blocking techniques even on our running plays.   It was a very rare occasion I saw them try to fire out and get a push against the defense.  We also had anumber of pass plays where Robison had to just run for his life (the famous old "olé" blocks).

The defense other than the 3rd quarter did look better, but I still thought it was pretty poor tackling on the whole (too much hitting and not enough tackling, how many times did it take like 7 of us to bring a guy down, several misses on the outside that should have been no gains or losses that still gave up positive yards, etc.).

A win was what we needed, and maybe if we find something with the O-line and we look more like last year's offense any defensive issues will be masked (we still gave up 33 points and 500 yards).  But I don't know if MTSU is going to lose more than 1 conference game looking at their schedule, so last week's meltdown might still bite us.

Let's just build on this and try to get to around 8 wins and a bowl game.
Back to the top

@Owldad…last weeks loss was huge. But we still have our hands full with some up coming games. Your observation of the O line is  correct.  It is as if the goal is to just occupy the defender and let the runner do the work. No explosiveness. No movement. Very little power blocks. But I am certain that the O line coach is doing what the OC is asking him to do. I'm not in the team meetings. All I know is that this O line looks very different than last seasons O line.  
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

The strangeness to me is having an excellent PASS blocking line but wanting to RUN the ball - THAT is what does not fit to me!

We HAVE a deep OL as Weber playing well last night showed - we HAVE some really big guys who with Coach Love's program should be able to blow away ANY CUSA DL if we have that OL package in the game.

Do we NOT have a goal line OL BIG Package for that 4th and short anywhwere on the field. But I mean with the WR's still split wide to prevent them from packing all 11 defenders within 2 yards of the line packed around the typical tight O formation.

We can run OR play action fake and BIG GAIN D KILLER plays!!! We pull one or two of THOSE off and no more packing the lines on 4th down!!! THEN we start converting 4th downs and no need for the punter we don't seem to have.

Oh, I agree with this thought, give the girl K a try-out! And pull up the strongest leg on the soccer team for KO's! Accuracy not needed, just blast the ball down the middle through the end zone!!!

Congrats on finishing the game last night Owls - BIG and IMPORTANT win!!

Posted On: Oct 7th 2018, 8:40 AM #381835

I too think that with the package with Weber in for Riles we should crush every DL we face. I'll go a step further and say that if we had Weber for OU we would have scored 30-40, we could have beaten UCF, and obviously would've beaten MTSU. Our D is struggling, but at least they try hard. If we were scoring like we should (no Riles) we'd be winning games 60-30 or something like that. That's fine. It's just with a high school player ruining our offense (and season) every other deficiency is going to be magnified, because we can't move the ball. Can we really blame our D for OU and UCF when our offense couldn't even move the ball consistently.
Back to the top
Control functions: