Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Crystal anniversary of the Iraq War

Add topic

15 years ago: After battling through a tough few early hours of duty and standing the rest of my duty on the 24th, the battery the following morning as a whole went to the Comstock for my and Chances Corporal's course graduation. It was a good ceremony. Though I didnt do as good as I hoped, I was proud of my accomplishment. Once the ceremony was over the battery returned to the Anchorage and manned the rails as the grouped raised anchor and started the final leg of our journey home. One Day out of Pearl, the excitement was growing among every officer, SNCO and Marine. Home was just over the horizon a few days away.
Back to the top

15 years ago: On July 1st, our ships arrived off the California coast. It never looked so good. We could see cars driving by on I-5 and the twin nuclear reactors at the San Onofre nuclear plant, or the twin tits as we Marines like to call them. As night fell, the headlights of the car on I-5 made us even more homesick, because it was so close. Just some 2 1/2 miles distant.On July 2nd, the day began as the ships began to flood the well deck and off load the first of the unit to the shore, but the famous California fog put a hold onto the offloading for a couple hours, but when the fog lifted we continued to offload. Yet upon arrival on the beach, I and a few Marines had to wait as we were selected as A-drivers for the vehicles that would be unloaded. It took another half hour but we climbed up into the trucks and took off for Las Pulgas. The vehicles were delivered to the motor pool and we the drivers walked down to the baseball diamond infront of the battalion and regiment where when I walked through the gate, my family surrounded me. I made their lives a living hell from the Middle of March until early April, but it felt good to be home.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Military -- Home from the battlefield

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

SignOnSanDiego.com
Back to the top
Control functions: