Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New FAU Gear @ It's Owl Time

Add topic

OC Irritant said

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

LawOwl said

Glad everything worked out Mark. Sounds like a decent settlement. The driver's insurance company may be able to take care of some of the damage as well. Just throwing it out there.
Posted On: Aug 27th 2016, 9:45 PM #358012
Some? How about ALL, between the driver and his insurance company! And I mean repairs, damaged goods, lost income…..lost sleep. Well, maybe not the last one, sorry again Mark, see you in November!
Posted On: Aug 28th 2016, 2:21 PM #358032
Now you're thinking like a lawyer Georgia!  Touche on the "lost sleep". Sounds like emotional distress to me

Posted On: Aug 28th 2016, 4:27 PM #358037

Sounds like we have too many lawyers in the world.  Sounds like Mark came to fair agreement to fix the damages WITHOUT lawyers!  Its a miracle!!  Probably more disputes can be handled this way with some reasonableness and level headedness.

Posted On: Aug 28th 2016, 4:40 PM #358038

Exactly, seriously emotional distress?  I hope you are joking or you are part of the crap that we are all having to live with today.  It was an ACCIDENT, he's was a good kid and was very apologetic and Mark came to a fair agreement.  Last thing he needs is a jackass lawyer sticking his nose into it.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I couldn't agree more. My premiums are sky high because of bottom dwelling "law professionals". Mark has respectable people handling the problem the way it should be handled. Not a big fan of accident chasing bottom dwellers.
Back to the top

My #1 priority in this mess is to get my storefront replaced as quickly as possible. 

The driver's insurance would cover it. Insurance companies tend to drag their feet at the beginning. They are going to say, we will cover it no problem, here is a list of our approved contractors, get 3 estimates and we can move forward. So in a couple of weeks or so, we get the storefront ordered.  I could submit claims for lost business, damage inside the store, everything.  Who knows when the storefront actually gets replaced.  My time lost would kill my business.

I called the father of the student and said I would not make any claims for anything. I just want him to pay to replace the storefront right now and will drop all claims. I will eat any additional losses inside.  He knew his son's rates would go up.  He was thankful and we got the storefront ordered the day after the accident instead of possibly 2, 3, 4 weeks later after estimates and 1000 phone calls etc. 

Could I have received more money, absolutely.  but at what cost? 

Didn't want to take a chance at losing 10s of thousands because people think we are closed, just so I could get a couple extra thousand. 

I didn't want to cut my nose off to spite my face. 

It will cost me a few dollars out of my pocket for something that wasn't my fault but the big picture is that I am thrilled I should be back to normal soon and that was my priority.

Let's win some games, extend the season, and get new FAU Gear into the hands of the fans, and most importantly, move on quickly.

Owls Up!

Back to the top

fauowl said

My #1 priority in this mess is to get my storefront replaced as quickly as possible. 

The driver's insurance would cover it. Insurance companies tend to drag their feet at the beginning. They are going to say, we will cover it no problem, here is a list of our approved contractors, get 3 estimates and we can move forward. So in a couple of weeks or so, we get the storefront ordered.  I could submit claims for lost business, damage inside the store, everything.  Who knows when the storefront actually gets replaced.  My time lost would kill my business.

I called the father of the student and said I would not make any claims for anything. I just want him to pay to replace the storefront right now and will drop all claims. I will eat any additional losses inside.  He knew his son's rates would go up.  He was thankful and we got the storefront ordered the day after the accident instead of possibly 2, 3, 4 weeks later after estimates and 1000 phone calls etc. 

Could I have received more money, absolutely.  but at what cost? 

Didn't want to take a chance at losing 10s of thousands because people think we are closed, just so I could get a couple extra thousand. 

I didn't want to cut my nose off to spite my face. 

It will cost me a few dollars out of my pocket for something that wasn't my fault but the big picture is that I am thrilled I should be back to normal soon and that was my priority.

Let's win some games, extend the season, and get new FAU Gear into the hands of the fans, and most importantly, move on quickly.

Owls Up!

Posted On: Aug 28th 2016, 7:46 PM #358043

Right I'm glad it worked out well. I was  trying to throw in some dry legal humor into the situation. It obviously back fired lol. I'm sorry if you all have had bad experiences with lawyers I understand that there are many people who have but I don't represent that.
Back to the top

Shout out to longtime Nest member, and Colorado resident, Gray Owl.  He got a new license plate and sent me his old one to hang on our store wall with other FAU memorabilia.  Love it.

Thank you, Gray Owl.

Colorado License Plate
Back to the top

fauowl said

Shout out to longtime Nest member, and Colorado resident, Gray Owl.  He got a new license plate and sent me his old one to hang on our store wall with other FAU memorabilia.  Love it.

Thank you, Gray Owl.

Colorado License Plate
Posted On: Sep 12th 2016, 8:07 PM #359091

That's AWESOME!

:cool:
Back to the top

Thought I would share a positive Homecoming experience from yesterday.

I got to meet Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes who came into the store before he went to the FAU game with former FAU defensive MVP, Cerge Sincere.

So Cerge and I became friends about 5 years ago.  I have been fortunate to hear hundreds of great stories from Cerge regarding his time with Howard, going to the first Bowl game in history and winning the game in Hawaii, etc.

Santonio and Cerge grew up together in Belle Glade.  Yesterday we had a chance to reminisce a little while hanging out in the store. This just relates to the talent of football talent in Florida, and especially the Belle Glade area.  BMarkey may appreciate this story.

There were others in the store and the conversation turned to the talent in the Belle Glade area, and Cerge talks about his Little League football team back in the day:  Cerge (FAU Defensive MVP) was the Center hiking the ball to to QB Omar Haugabook (who was the future Troy QB), and Omar was throwing the ball to Santonio (future Super Bowl MVP for the Steelers).

That's a heck of a Little League Team.

It was a rough day at Homecoming but glad I had some memorable experience that I will never forget.

Photo: Cerge Sincere (left), Santonio Holmes (right).

Cerge Sincere & Santonio Holmes @ The Store

Back to the top

Great story. I made many pics of Omar and still follow him on Facebook. He was the top recruit from Florida as a senior but did not directly to Division I.

At Troy, he came very close to beating FSU, and Georgia and did beat a ranked Missouri and Oklahoma State.

I think some of the Glades kids play youth football in Wellington.
Back to the top

Great story, Mark!! 
Back to the top

Really great story Mark.

Is Cre'von not another Belle Glade kid? He is having a pretty decent rookie season with the Bears, watched him play D and return punts last night on Monday Night Football as Bad News Bears BEAT the Vikings!! Guess they are not really that bad!

Congrats to Cre'von!
Back to the top
Control functions: