Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Timucua Hall Out with the Old, in with New?

Add topic

FAUtuba said

The only old dorms left are Timucua(1969) and Algonquin(196?). Only other dorms are Indian River Towers(199?) and Heritage Park Tower(1999). In place of Timucua is going to be a new dorm. I believe that after that is finished Algonquin will be torn down too. It is the alternative site for the wellness center, but I think they are going to build more dorms , or better yet the thing major universities have and FAU doesn't— GREEK HOUSING! Also included with the dome project are somewhere between 4 to 8 new dorms to be built to the start of the project.
IRT was closer to 2001 and HPT was completed right when I started fall of 2004. I went by today and the east end of timucua is nothing but rubble and the west end is gutted. I just hope they start building soon. And Timucua has been closed since fall of 2004 when HPT was first opened.
Back to the top

All you younger guys and recent graduates, You have no idea of some of the history in some of those old dorms.

I probably shouldn't be bringing this up, but someone found the old tunnels below the dorms and some of the vietnam vets would get down in them and do sort of a Rambo thing.

Sometimes a bunch of us would take guitars into the stairwell of one of the dorms (mostly dorm 6) since the accoustics were so good, bring maybe some beer and schnapps and jam all night (weekends). We used to call those the "stairwell jams". We would fill the stairs with people that came by to join in or listen.

The Boca Raton News posted a story one day about life on campus at FAU (I swear this is true) and claimed all the students that lived on campus were sleeping with one another. We were all hysterical when we read that.

Does anyone remember a mural painted on the walls in the hall of dorm 6 south? I think that might have been Modoc, I don't remember. It went all the way around one side of the hall and back around the other side. The guy that painted it lived down the hall from me. He kept legaly changing his name. Sort of like Prince with symbols and other non alpha characters.

Do they still have the gas grills outside? Half of the students that lived on campus back then were scuba divers. When lobster season opened up, they would all boil water in huge pots on the grills and cook the lobsters. What a life for college students.

That was life in the dorms, I could go on………..

Like I said above in another post. I know FAU has to grow. Its just a little sad to see all those memories torn down. I've read comments from college reviews about living on campus at FAU. Some people complain there is nothing to do and have other negative comments. There were 1000 people living on campus back then and we were all pretty close. The social life was easy. There was never a problem finding something to do. There probably isn't now, it just takes a little effort.

It was fun and I would do it again. I did have to work pretty hard to get my degree. It wasn't all fun.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

That's an awfully large building, I kinda wonder why they're tearing it down when it could be renovated at a fraction of the cost. Right now at usf I'm staying at kosove (1961) which happens to be the first campus housing ever. A couple years ago it was fully renovated and now it's one of the nicest places I've stayed on campus, the rooms are large, the lobby is both contemporary and clean, and the appearance of the building overall is really good. Timucua could be modernized as well, would help fau hold onto some of it's earlier buildings too.
Back to the top

thebrazenbull said

That's an awfully large building, I kinda wonder why they're tearing it down when it could be renovated at a fraction of the cost. Right now at usf I'm staying at kosove (1961) which happens to be the first campus housing ever. A couple years ago it was fully renovated and now it's one of the nicest places I've stayed on campus, the rooms are large, the lobby is both contemporary and clean, and the appearance of the building overall is really good. Timucua could be modernized as well, would help fau hold onto some of it's earlier buildings too.

That what I was wondering. It is/was a nice dorm. There were administrative offices in the lobby while I was there as well. The only thing I can think is that since there is limited space, the building is too small for what they need. Otherwise, renovate. Some history has been lost.

Back to the top

thebrazenbull said

Timucua could be modernized as well, would help fau hold onto some of it's earlier buildings too.

The just completed a renovation to one of the college of business buildings that was built back in the day.

Thanks for the correction lngbrdr, i should have waited to check those dates if i was gonna post in detail. ::)

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

That is what I heard Illi that they are planning on going up to have better space utilization. Renovating is cheaper but doesn't solve the room availability. FAU is growing like a weed and I doubt you will ever see anything less than five stories. The exception will be the upper class apartments.
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

thebrazenbull said

Timucua could be modernized as well, would help fau hold onto some of it's earlier buildings too.

The just completed a renovation to one of the college of business buildings that was built back in the day.

Thanks for the correction lngbrdr, i should have waited to check those dates if i was gonna post in detail. ::)

I like the renovations of the business building (fleming hall). I remember my first year fleming hall smelled so bad but now it's just like any new building. Right now they are renovating the last of the business buildings business east. Once that is done god the school of business will be pretty big with the three buildings that all connect. What I am really looking forward to seeing next fall is what the library additions will look like along with the updated track. I haerd though that the new track is only going to be open to those on the track and cross country teams, if that is true i'm gonna be pretty pissed off next year.

And no problem about those dates just figured I ought to post the real dates just because it shows how much building has gone on on campus over the past 5 or so years.
Back to the top

Question for someone.

Is a lot of land tied up with the Burrowing owl sanctuary, if any?

Is there any land left nearby or adjacent to the campus that isn't developed that can be purchased?

Back to the top

lngbrdr said

What I am really looking forward to seeing next fall is what the library additions will look like

The only picture I've seen of what the library expansion will look like is in this newsletter (page 2):

http://www.library.fau…aculty_newsletter0406.pdf

I wonder how the study center will work out on the second floor. I've heard that a cafe will be part of the first floor.
Back to the top

There is a new set of pictures this week. You can see they gutted the units completely before demolition. Still not sure why they just didn't gut the units then renovate.

Back to the top
Control functions: