Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Winner in 100-0 girls game wants forfeit

Add topic

Re: Winner in 100-0 girls game wants forfeit

Winner in 100-0 girls game wants forfeit

Some interesting perspectives here:

"Always put forth your best no matter what" vs. "Graceful Champion"

Interesting…….
Back to the top

I don't agree with running it up to 100. I think the winning team should have done everything possible to control the score once the game was a lock. If they win 50-0 or 70-0 we are not having this discussion. The fact is that they went for 100 and obviously didn't pull up until they got it. That is poor sportsmanship and the coach should have known better.

I am still amazed that the other team did not score a single point.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owl09 said

with all due respect, i really really really disagree with that

this is SPORTS…

did Louisville "back off" when they absolutely whipped us from one side of the field to the other in 2005, when we lost 61-10?

did UNC "back off" when they absolutely destroyed 2 years ago WITHOUT carlos monroe and our FIRST GAME back with deandre rice?

come on… this is sports… those girls went out there and played to the best of their ability and that's what is always asked of coaches… to play with ANY LESS intensity than their absolute best would cheating the fundamentals of the game

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions. UNC didn't let up neither did Louisville, you're right. But are we a disabled school? If we were a school filled with disabled kids I can assure you that the score wouldn't get out of hand like that.

"BRATISLAVA, Slovakia (AP) – With more goals than minutes in the game, Slovakia's women's ice hockey team claimed an amazing 82-0 victory over Bulgaria in Olympic qualifying.
Slovakia outshot the Bulgarians 139-0 during the 60-minute game, played in Latvia. The margin of victory is a record for a women's International Ice Hockey Federation-sanctioned event."

Did they really need to score 82 goals? I know it's Olympic qualifying but it's the same scenario, just a different sport. There's so much they could have done to take it easy. I think they were up like 59-0 after the 2nd half. Why keep trying to score?

I guess like I said everyone has their own opinions. I just see a lot wrong with all of this. I find it kind of disturbing that a team is THAT competitive they have to make that much of a statement

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

owl09 said

this is SPORTS…

did Louisville "back off" when they absolutely whipped us from one side of the field to the other in 2005, when we lost 61-10?

did UNC "back off" when they absolutely destroyed 2 years ago WITHOUT carlos monroe and our FIRST GAME back with deandre rice?

come on… this is sports… those girls went out there and played to the best of their ability and that's what is always asked of coaches… to play with ANY LESS intensity than their absolute best would cheating the fundamentals of the game

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions. UNC didn't let up neither did Louisville, you're right. But are we a disabled school? If we were a school filled with disabled kids I can assure you that the score wouldn't get out of hand like that.

"BRATISLAVA, Slovakia (AP) – With more goals than minutes in the game, Slovakia's women's ice hockey team claimed an amazing 82-0 victory over Bulgaria in Olympic qualifying.
Slovakia outshot the Bulgarians 139-0 during the 60-minute game, played in Latvia. The margin of victory is a record for a women's International Ice Hockey Federation-sanctioned event."

Did they really need to score 82 goals? I know it's Olympic qualifying but it's the same scenario, just a different sport. There's so much they could have done to take it easy. I think they were up like 59-0 after the 2nd half. Why keep trying to score?

I guess like I said everyone has their own opinions. I just see a lot wrong with all of this. I find it kind of disturbing that a team is THAT competitive they have to make that much of a statement

can someone show me where it is written that the team with 0 points was a school for disabled? i am looking for it and can't find it

IF that is true, then my whole perspective on this issue changes

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

Here is a quote from the Dallas Academy Mission Statement:

"Our Mission:  Dallas Academy restores the promise of full academic enrichment to students with learning differences.  Our staff establishes a meaningful connection with each student to overcome barriers to success." (emphasis added)

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

ok that is a completely different story and i retract what i said about this particular game

you guys are SPOT ON and i was DEAD WRONG

i apologize

if this is true about disabled, or learning disabled, or whatever, then i stand completely corrected and it WAS INDEED in poor judgment

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

owl09 said

Jab979 said

owl09 said

this is SPORTS…

can someone show me where it is written that the team with 0 points was a school for disabled? i am looking for it and can't find it

IF that is true, then my whole perspective on this issue changes

If that is the only reason, then it's just sad….

I coach a Girls Travel softball team that won a State Championship last year. Although our motto is "No Mercy" and we could pretty much dominate a lot of our competition,  I never scored more runs than it took to end the game as soon as possible. (i.e. up by 10 in the forth inning)  I wouldn't allow advancing more than one base at a time with a big lead and obvious victory. And if that didn't help the other team enough I would intentionally have the girls "walk off" the base prior to a pitch to give the other team an out.  We even taught the girls to make it look like leaving early was a mistake so that the other team could save some face. My girls won with ability, grace and sportsmanship.  The complete deterioration of sportsmanship across the sports spectrum is just a reflection of where our society as a whole is headed.  I for one do not want to be a part of that. I hope that the kids I coach will grow up and remember that is important to win, but it was best to win with respect.
Back to the top

Here is the schools website…it appears they specialize in educational programs to help Children with various learning disabilities:

Dallas Academy

Back to the top

The governing body (TAPPS) should NOT accept the forfeit.  This should stay on Covenant's record so they are remembered as the team that ran it up on an inferior opponent whose mission is to educate kids who with learning disabilities.  They didn't have to do this; they did it because they could, to prove their might.  The parents and coaches who were shouting for more 3-pointers, more steals, should be ashamed.  The team should be embarrassed.

"Only 8 of the girls are on the team and many have never played before." (http://cbs11tv.com/sports/100.0.Win.2.915251.html)

This was a despicable act.
Back to the top

I am really indifferent about this.  I currently coach mentally disabled and disabled children from 4-19 years old in baseball.  I treat these children as if they were regular kids often disciplining them, just like in regular little league.  Parents often come up to me and are thankful that I am not giving them special treatment…I realize that this is not the same, but why are we focusing that this school is for special needs kids.  It really does not matter if they have "learning differences"  the matter at hand is that the other team ran up the score.

On the other hand.  I am strong believer that if you are playing a sport and you are good you will play if you are bad you will sit the bench.  I hate the fact that we promote winning is not the only thing, and having fun is…um NO!  You play a sport to determine a winner, whether it is 100-0 or 99-98 a winner is declared at the end.

This new generation in college is always relying on someone and talking about their feelings and they EXPECT to be HANDED a college degree, why?  because they have been handed trophies and certificates for everything they do!

Disappointment, embarrassment, and failure are a part of life, we learn from them, we grow, and we become better people.
Back to the top
Control functions: