Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

House Panel Passes College Football Playoff Bill . . .

Add topic

Re: House Panel Passes College Football Playoff Bill . . .

FAUtuba said

How is a playoff system better then the current BCS?

????

1) You don't end the season with multiple undefeated teams.

2) A champion is determined on the field.

3) Non-BCS teams have the chance to play BCS teams.

4) Non-BCS teams get a legit chance to play for a national title.

At least with a playoff system you know that you have a shot at winning a national title if you win your conference. The other teams that are at large are because they didn't win their conference. This is different than the BCS where a team can win it's conference, go undefeated, and still not get a shot. Let us take this year's outcome and make this into a playoff scenario.

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS:                  AT LARGE:

Alabama  13-0                                  Florida 12-1
Texas 13-0                                      Iowa 10-2
Ohio State 10-2                                VT  9-3
Oregon 10-2                                      LSU 9-3
G. Tech 11-2                                    PSU 10-2
Cincinnati 12-0
Boise State 13-0
TCU 12-0
Troy 9-3
ECU 9-4
CMU 11-2

Maybe even tweak it so a team is not eligible with more than 3 losses even if they win the conference championship. This would remove ECU for example and create space for an additional at large.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

????

1) You don't end the season with multiple undefeated teams.

2) A champion is determined on the field.

3) Non-BCS teams have the chance to play BCS teams.

4) Non-BCS teams get a legit chance to play for a national title.

At least with a playoff system you know that you have a shot at winning a national title if you win your conference. The other teams that are at large are because they didn't win their conference. This is different than the BCS where a team can win it's conference, go undefeated, and still not get a shot. Let us take this year's outcome and make this into a playoff scenario.

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS:                  AT LARGE:

Alabama  13-0                                  Florida 12-1
Texas 13-0                                      Iowa 10-2
Ohio State 10-2                                VT  9-3
Oregon 10-2                                      LSU 9-3
G. Tech 11-2                                    PSU 10-2
Cincinnati 12-0
Boise State 13-0
TCU 12-0
Troy 9-3
ECU 9-4
CMU 11-2

Maybe even tweak it so a team is not eligible with more than 3 losses even if they win the conference championship. This would remove ECU for example and create space for an additional at large.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Well, think about it like this:

What if NU went on to beat Texas in that comeback game the Longhorns won.

Then what??

CINN in the national title game against AL??

Some folks wouldn't agree with that, as it only would be based on "ranking".

No system is perfect…But why does every other major sport have a play-off system, while college football does not?

Of course you are talking about a sport which offers a week off between contests, so granted, it is harder to pull off.

However, even the NFL has a play-off system in place…

And, I completely agree with GeorgiaOwl on the $$$ distribution…

The colleges should reap the reward.

FCS has a playoff in place and they are actually expanding from 16 teams to 20 teams next year. They have had a playoff for years and it works out just fine.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Then what??

No system is perfect…But why does every other major sport have a play-off system, while college football does not?

Of course you are talking about a sport which offers a week off between contests, so granted, it is harder to pull off.

FCS has a playoff in place and they are actually expanding from 16 teams to 20 teams next year. They have had a playoff for years and it works out just fine.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

We need centralized NCAA scheduling too.  I hate watching a UF game and hearing how they lead the country in this or that stat when 3 of their games were home games against Sun Belt and FCS teams.  Its easy to pad stats when you never leave home and only play the worst teams for OOC.

Personally I would prefer everyone be independent, get rid of conferences and all their tie-ins and money and let each team pick 6 opponents it wants to play every year, and the last 6 are centrally scheduled so that every team gets exactly 6 home and 6 away with strengths of schedule that are appropriate.  Then run the ranking by computer and have yourself a 32 team playoff (no conference championship game so adding 1 game isn't a problem).

Government has really been forced to get into this because we have a system that is designed to be unfair.  Having a special rule for Notre Dame is just a slap in the face to all the non-BCS teams that are actually relevant on an annual basis.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

We need centralized NCAA scheduling too.  I hate watching a UF game and hearing how they lead the country in this or that stat when 3 of their games were home games against Sun Belt and FCS teams.  Its easy to pad stats when you never leave home and only play the worst teams for OOC.

Personally I would prefer everyone be independent, get rid of conferences and all their tie-ins and money and let each team pick 6 opponents it wants to play every year, and the last 6 are centrally scheduled so that every team gets exactly 6 home and 6 away with strengths of schedule that are appropriate.  Then run the ranking by computer and have yourself a 32 team playoff (no conference championship game so adding 1 game isn't a problem).

Government has really been forced to get into this because we have a system that is designed to be unfair.  Having a special rule for Notre Dame is just a slap in the face to all the non-BCS teams that are actually relevant on an annual basis.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Then what??

GO OWLS!!!

Forgive me for not consdiering them a major sport ;D

Even though we used to be in it, i still dont…
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Then what??

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Rick said

owlfan1 said

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Then what??

GO OWLS!!!

My comment was not aimed at questioning what are considered "major" sports, but the fact that one week between events is not a good argument based on the success of playoffs in FCS, D-II, and D-III. They all have playoffs and all have one week between games. Bottom line is that the BCS's arguments against a plyaoff have nothing to do with logistics and everything to do with money whether or not BCS officials and supporters are willing to admit it.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Rick said

owlfan1 said

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Then what??

GO OWLS!!!

My comment was not aimed at questioning what are considered "major" sports, but the fact that one week between events is not a good argument based on the success of playoffs in FCS, D-II, and D-III. They all have playoffs and all have one week between games. Bottom line is that the BCS's arguments against a plyaoff have nothing to do with logistics and everything to do with money whether or not BCS officials and supporters are willing to admit it.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: