Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Tim Tebow Dazzles the Nation . . .

Add topic

Re: Tim Tebow Dazzles the Nation . . .

Rick said

The only reason people do not like him is because he is a winner.

Add Christianity to that, and you have the recipe for outright hatred.

:D

I couldn't stand him as a gator, because I too hate the gators, but as a person how can you not pull for the guy?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I just got resent an email from a friend that was dated nearly two years ago, it read:

"Rusty Smith will make a better NFL QB than Tim freaking Tebow!"

Now, the reason I sent that email was more on the argument that Tebow didn't have the tools to be a traditional pocket passing QB in the NFL, (not because I thought Rusty was bound for the probowl) which he still doesn't but through some crazy bounces and sheer will and determination Tebow is a winner. I only hate him because he made me look like an idiot.

I do worry that he ends up like Tiger Woods. He comes across like such a great person I'd hate for it all to come crashing down…so shut your mouth Lindsay Vonn!  ;)
Back to the top

I like Tebow as a person.  I mean, how can you not, really?  And that's coming from a lifelong FSU fan.  'Nole fans hated him, but we couldn't deny that if he were a 'Nole, we'd want 10 more of him out there.

However, I'm not even close to being convinced that they are winning because of him.  I still say they are winning in spite of him.  Let's look at the stats –

- With Orton, Broncos scored 20 or more points in 3 of 4 games. (He was pulled in the 5th game.) With Tebow, they have scored 20 in only 2 out of 8 games.
- Tebow is completing 48% of his passes – lowest by far among NFL starters.  Orton was completing 58% when he was released. (Ok, maybe Tebow's running ability makes up for some of that.  Urlacher wasn't totally wrong.)
- Tebow's passer rating is in the bottom half among NFL starters.  He's below Matt Moore of the Dolphins.  I think the only reason Tebow is that high is 11 TD/2 INT.  But for anybody who's following ESPN's Total QBR, he's 5th from the bottom.
- Only 3 of Tebow's 8 opponents were teams that currently have winning records.  One of those, the Bears, was without their QB and RB, and even that almost certainly would have been a loss had Barber not inexplicably run out of bounds.  Four of Orton's five starts were against teams that currently have winning records.
- With Orton as starter, they were giving up 28 points and 386 yards per game.  With Tebow as starter, 19 and 339. (Either better defense or a function of the arguably lesser competition Tebow has faced.)

Ok, *maybe* you can try to make an argument that everybody, particularly on defense, plays a notch higher because of his attitude.  That's possible, but I'm not convinced we're there yet.  For now, I still can't help but think about him in baseball terms – the pitcher who's 7-1 with an ERA of 6.50, but who gets incredible run support from his team.  He can't put up those numbers forever, because that *will* catch up with him in the NFL.  At some point, he has to actually show up for the first 50 minutes, too.
Back to the top

The pitcher analogy you make is perfect for the scenario.

This will all catch up to Tebow and the Broncos…but its entertaining at the moment.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Don't know if any of you saw this, but there was an SNL skit about Tebow this past Saturday. SNL has been a train wreck recently. So bad but you can't help but to watch.

But here's the skit which was actually really funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul2dhNaQgxM

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Do people really still watch that show??

It's horrible!

Never quite made it back after the departure of the originals…

"Wookin Pa Nub"

Back to the top

Rick said

It's horrible!

"Wookin Pa Nub"

Well it's hard to replace Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, John Belushi and Bill Murray. It's been pretty bad recently but I still record it every week. There have been some good cast members though in the years since.

Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Kristen Wiig, Phil Hartman, Keenan Thompson

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Rick said

It's horrible!

"Wookin Pa Nub"

'' I LIVE IN VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER''
Back to the top
Control functions: