Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF hires Missouri OC Josh Heupel as Head Coach

Add topic

UCF has tapped Missouri Offensive Coordinator Josh Heupel as their new Head Coach. Heupel replaces Scott Frost, who is leaving for Nebraska -where he was a quarterback- this offseason, following UCF's appearance in the Peach Bowl.

Heupel has some big shoes to fill, as Frost gave the Knights their first American Athletic championship. Frost was a name in the conversation at may P5 job openings, as his résumé includes rebuilding the UCF program after going 0-12 just two years ago.

Just like Frost, Huepel was a successful college QB himself. He led the Oklahoma Sooners to a 13-2 victory over Florida State in the 2000 BCS National Championship. He returned to Norman, Oklahoma to become the QB coach, and then the co-offensive coordinator from 2006 until his firing in 2014. There he coached 2008 Heisman winner Sam Bradford.

After his coaching stint in Oklahoma, Huepel saw Assistant Head Coach and OC duties at Ohio State. After won season in Logan, Utah, he returned to the P5 as an OC under Barry Odom's new regime in Columbia, Missouri.

It is reported that Huepel's first hire will be former Miami Head Coach, and Florida Defensive Coordinator/Interim Head Coach Randy Shannon as DC. This gives UCF's new staff instant respect in Florida's recruiting ranks.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Now it is being reported that former FAU assistant Corey Bell will follow Randy Shannon from Gainesville to Orlando.

It will be interesting to see what the new staff at UCF would make of former UCF RB and current FAU RB Coach Kevin Smith joining their ranks.

Back to the top

Have been told by my UCF friends they will make a play at Smith for sure.

I miss Corey Bell, he was great.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Have been told by my UCF friends they will make a play at Smith for sure.

I miss Corey Bell, he was great.
Posted On: Dec 5th 2017, 12:19 PM #374977

Bell is definitely a top recruiter in the state. Highly touted in the coaching circles at the college level because of how much Florida HS coaches respect him.

I think Smith returned to UCF would be a no-brainer for the Knights. We'll have to do what we can from preventing his exit.

Back to the top

I know Heupel was a bit of a shock, but they are making really smart moves with the other guys being talked about here.  They will be able to play on this season's championship and Peach Bowl appearance, and are adding some very good recruiters in the state of FL.  I think UCF has become the program more poised to make the next P5 jump, and won't be surprised to see them out of the AAC within the next 2 years.  I know that isn't rocket science there, but that might have been USF or Houston in the last couple of years, but now it seems UCF is the big dog in the G5.
Back to the top

STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE (THAT WE KNOW OF) REGARDING RE-UPPING COACH K AND THE STAFF AFTER THIS YEAR. SURELY THE ADMINS AND DR. KELLY SEE THE VALUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SEATS IN THE STADIUM WILL FILL EVENTUALLY IF WE SHOW WE ARE NOT A ONE YEAR WONDER FLASH IN THE PAN! AND THE VALUE BEYOND THAT IN FREE PUBLICITY, INCREASED APPLICATIONS. ETC………

Sorry for the all caps guys but THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!!! :cool:
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I know Heupel was a bit of a shock, but they are making really smart moves with the other guys being talked about here.  They will be able to play on this season's championship and Peach Bowl appearance, and are adding some very good recruiters in the state of FL.  I think UCF has become the program more poised to make the next P5 jump, and won't be surprised to see them out of the AAC within the next 2 years.  I know that isn't rocket science there, but that might have been USF or Houston in the last couple of years, but now it seems UCF is the big dog in the G5.
Posted On: Dec 5th 2017, 2:17 PM #374989

Makes total sense to me, and when that happens WE have to be ready to move into their AAC spot, and we would be a no brainer if we maintain and grow! Florida market. Florida recruiting, Top 25 team :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

owlsdad said

UCF to Big 12, with Houston, Memphis, and maybe Boise. Maybe 2 other schools in the Mountain West, and they're at 16 with a legit championship. FAU gets to move up to the AAC, or maybe even into the Big 12, for a natural in-state rivalry with UCF (although it would be odd).
Back to the top

David Slavic said

owlsdad said

UCF to Big 12, with Houston, Memphis, and maybe Boise. Maybe 2 other schools in the Mountain West, and they're at 16 with a legit championship. FAU gets to move up to the AAC, or maybe even into the Big 12, for a natural in-state rivalry with UCF (although it would be odd).
Posted On: Dec 5th 2017, 2:33 PM #374997
There is a better chance Saban takes a job here.

I am going to tell you why we will never end up in one of those conferences.

Major schools like Texas, for example, do not want to carry other schools in a conference and neither do the TV stations. ESPN/Fox did not want UCF and Cincy going to the big 12 because that would mean that with there TV contract they will have to show games including these when they rather just show OU and UT as much as possible.

Major schools in major conferences do not want someone who does not add revenue and they just end up having to split with they make even more.

Why would Microsoft add Jim's computer store to their empire and split revenue 1/14th with them when that store only brings in .000000001 percent of that revenue?

The next major shift in conferences will be super conferences and that will be the end of college football as we know it.

Schools like Texas and USC will say why the heck are we splitting TV revenue with Iowa State and Washington State and they will just join in one conference.

Back to the top

I agree - FAU has been a doormat, and I know we are all excited about this season.   If after another season or two like this we will at best be positioned for a move to the AAC when schools like UCF and Houston move up.  But if that happened right now, FAU's 1 great season would still have us way down the pecking order.  We all know what a great place Boca is, and we know the location, recruiting, etc. can lead to great things. But you have to be smoking some pretty good stuff to believe a move to a P5 is anywhere in our cards - our crowds and our financials and our history are why we are in the Boca Bowl as a 10-3 team this year, and that wouldn't get overlooked in the next season or so to have is playing big boy football.  Sorry - as I know how optimistic we all are.  But we also have to take a dose of reality, too.  A move somewhere like AAC is possible IF we sustain this kind of success. 
Back to the top
Control functions: