Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Dorms over capacity. Innovative village phase II??

Add topic

I saw something about the dorms being over capacity and students living in a nearby hotel. Algonquin to be demolished and replaced with a larger dorm and what was referred to as "village apartments" phase II being built. Is that the Innovative Village Phase II? Is that being planned now?

What going on with that? How did the dorms get over booked?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

My daughter lives in Innovation Village, and I can verify the housing is over capacity - kids are staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites and getting a free breakfast, housekeeping once a week, a nice bathroom, and it is probably more private and quieter.  I told my daughter she should give her room up :smile:As for Algonquin, I had read that, but don't know if that is a phase II of Innovation Village given the location.  I would assume suite or apartment-style housing will be built, as that is what everybody now wants.  But I think it  would be considered something "new" and not part of any of the existing dorms/suites/apartments.

As for over-booking, it is just like anything else (everybody see it with airlines).  They took in the deposits like they always do, and they expect that some kids don't come back, change their mind/find somewhere else, etc.  One of the articles I saw said this was the first time they overbooked in like 10 years - so that was actually surprising (in a good way) to me, as I have seen over-crowding at my alma mater in NC.
Back to the top

And interesting from above ^^^^^^^^^^

Just got off the phone with my daughter, and she said the campus is jam-packed.  Part (or maybe all) of some of the parking garages are closed, so there is nowhere to park.  She said everywhere she goes there is just way more people than last year.

We'll call it the "Lane Effect".
Back to the top

Build Phase II of IV FAU - it has been how many years since phase I???
Back to the top

And this time. tie it to a new arena and baseball stadium!!
Back to the top

Algonquin is SOLID block…old and military = hurricane proof.

New walls wont be solid block, and you'll hear your neighbor fart…

Careful what you ask for.

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I saw something about the dorms being over capacity and students living in a nearby hotel. Algonquin to be demolished and replaced with a larger dorm and what was referred to as "village apartments" phase II being built. Is that the Innovative Village Phase II? Is that being planned now?

What going on with that? How did the dorms get over booked?
Posted On: Sep 6th 2018, 11:14 AM #380254

This has happen before. You always overbooked because kids cancel late all the time and you do not want empty dorms.
I have not heard anything about the new apartments where Algonquin was.
Back to the top

I lived in Algonquin in 1979. Let me know if they tear it down.  I may or may not have some property stashed in the AC ducts.
Back to the top

I wrote about this Algonquin/UVA idea back in December. You can read it HERE, about halfway down ("The Other Proposal"). I read later that the first proposal might have been planted in the paper as a political move, and we've heard nothing new about it, so *shrug*

Anyway, FAU has been looking to replace both Algonquin and UVA for awhile now. The trend now, as you may have noticed is to build up and both of those buildings are two stories - which worked at the time, but now we're looking to fill 500-1000 beds per dorm and it's time to replace those buildings with taller, more modern versions like we did with Heritage Park Towers, Glades Park Towers, etc.

This won't happen in time to move these kids out of their hotel into "UVA 2" this year. They'll be at the hotel unless people leave in the middle of the semester (unlikely) or don't stick around for Spring semester (more likely chance). It usually takes about a year to build these dorms, from what I've seen.

To GeorgiaOwl's point: From what we're hearing publicly, FAU will replace UVA and Algonquin first before they go building Innovation Village Part 2 (aka Innovation Village East/West), which in a sense is unfortunate because if you are already short dorms, closing UVA for a year to build a new bigger dorm just exacerbates that issue.

Granted, that's a short-term problem (for a year) but if you did build IVA2 you could house new students plus the displaced ones from UVA while you build a new one there at the UVA site... though at the end you come out about 1000 beds ahead, so you'd want to make sure you could handle that demand afterwards. FAU (or private developers) obviously doesn't want to have expensive new dorms sitting 25-50% empty and not generating $$$.

Anyway, we'll know more about how many dorms FAU anticipates building over the next 5-10 years on-campus when they release the new Boca Master Plan, currently in the works. I expect FAU to be fairly conservative about it because they don't know what  the demand will be when (I hate to say if, but it's dragging so hard right now) the 20th St and University Village projects actually come to fruition, because there's no point in building a bunch of cramped boxes on campus if everybody is getting bigger, better, possibly even cheaper living spaces right off-campus.

Plus, even if it's not on the Master Plan they can always find space. Parliament Hall wasn't in the cards until they needed it. So these things do pop up.

Supposedly the demand for student housing is really strong but the Boca City Council is embroiled in so many property disputes that everything grinds to a halt. The retired residents are all trying to keep the council caught up in zoning, setbacks, height, aesthetics, parking, traffic, etc etc etc issues ad nauseum to frustrate developers until they pull out, and in the meantime that development is kept in a perpetual hell loop and nothing gets built - which is what the NIMBYs want.

Point is that FAU should probably take the wheel here and not wait too long for off-campus developers because who knows when that will happen.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I lived in Algonquin in 1979. Let me know if they tear it down.  I may or may not have some property stashed in the AC ducts.
Posted On: Sep 6th 2018, 6:54 PM #380287
I was in there too in ‘79. I lived there 2 years. Chances are we've met. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: