Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Schmidt Complex for Academic & Athletic Excellence Groundbreaking Renderings

Add topic

Have to say, I had the opportunity to have lunch with Patrick Chun when he first started.  I remember at that lunch he said how important it was to have a facility for the athletes that would support their academics while at FAU, and that would ultimately help with recruiting.  He said that would be a priority of his.  I don't know who eventually got this done, but he certainly had the idea many years ago.
Back to the top

Owlguin said

Have to say, I had the opportunity to have lunch with Patrick Chun when he first started.  I remember at that lunch he said how important it was to have a facility for the athletes that would support their academics while at FAU, and that would ultimately help with recruiting.  He said that would be a priority of his.  I don't know who eventually got this done, but he certainly had the idea many years ago.
Posted On: Feb 22nd 2018, 5:27 PM #377346

Glad it was in his plan but something like this is basically standard at the revenue RICH Power 5 programs. It is super important for the student/athletes and so glad we are finally gonna get this built.
Back to the top

On the way home from Miami today because we took kiddo to the Gold Coast Railroad Museum for Day out with Thomas, I swung by Campus to just check on what they have done since starting. Not a lot I could tell from just driving by, but Blue Construction fencing is up on that gravel lot behind the parking garage and near the recruiting room, which from the looks of it now is completely gutted. We also took the new ramp to get on 95 North. That will make it so much easier to get to the games this season. Just wanted to share.
Back to the top

Some new info on the UF facilities upgrades;

InsidetheGators.com - Florida announces timeline for new facilities

Also posted info on UAB and their stadium plans on CUSA tab.

Both issuing Bonds to help pay for them, when will we get off our ….. and do something similar TO GET IT DONE - BEEN YEARS YET AGAIN GUYS!!!!
Back to the top

WOW… the UP comes through in a big way:

RUNDOWN OF THE SCHMIDT FAMILY COMPLEX CONSTRUCTION

New renderings

Construction timelines

and this note on funding

"The new athletic facility is named after Richard and his wife Barbara Schmidt. The Schmidt family donated $16 million to FAU for the new project, which is the largest single donation FAU has ever received.

Along with the Schmidt family donation, two other financial institutions will pay for the new facility: the FAU Foundation, which has raised $33.5 million, and university funds, which set aside $6.5 million for the project, according to the original plans."

16+33.5+6.5=56M!

Well done!!!

Back to the top

too bad the indoor practice facility has to wait. That will draw some attention.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

16+33.5+6.5=56M!

Well done!!!

Posted On: Mar 28th 2018, 4:03 PM #377864

The math is not adding up for me. I would think the $16M is counted in the $33.5 Foundation money. Donations go to the Foundation.  If we had $56M for a project with a $45M budget there would not be a question of putting off an indoor facility.  The numbers are not right IMO. But awesome that the project is moving forward. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Back to the top

I know they were working on the stadium first. Are they now working on the complex also?
Back to the top

fauowl said

Owl2Doc said

16+33.5+6.5=56M!

Well done!!!

Posted On: Mar 28th 2018, 4:03 PM #377864
The math is not adding up for me. I would think the $16M is counted in the $33.5 Foundation money. Donations go to the Foundation.  If we had $56M for a project with a $45M budget there would not be a question of putting off an indoor facility.  The numbers are not right IMO. But awesome that the project is moving forward. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Posted On: Mar 28th 2018, 8:59 PM #377866
"Along with the Schmidt family donation, two other financial institutions will pay……………………………"
That makes it sound like the $33.5 million does not include the $16 million. Thats the way I read it and it would be great if they had $56 million. Donations earmarked for a project usually have to be used for that project so I would assume the extra $11 million would expand the project.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

His point is if that is the total donation/funds available, we have MORE than what the cost is and it would seem unlikely we would not be doing something like an indoor facility - we should be ADDING something to the plans.  The estimated costs increased from $40 to $45M, and the total available IF the Schmidt donation is separate would be $56M.  So why scrap something that arguably is a top-3 item regarding the athletes if you have more money than you need?
Back to the top
Control functions: