Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2011-12 Sun Belt Men's Basketball Standings

Re: 2011-12 Sun Belt Men's Basketball Standings

2011-12 Sun Belt Men's Basketball Standings

SUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL:

WKU 74  UNT 70

After a 5-11 start, WKU (15-18) is off to the dance behind a 10-7 finish; including four wins in four days at Hot Springs.

Tony Mitchell has 18 points and five rebounds for North Texas (18-14) in what could be his last game pending a likely decision to enter the NBA draft.

Teeng Akol nets 23 points on 9-of-11 shooting to lead all scorers for the Hilltoppers, a career high for the RS-Junior from Sudan.

Back to the top

I expected a run out of North Texas because of Mitchell, but wku? where did you come from? I guess they are our Michigan State, they aways turn it on at the right time.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Pretty much...and they got A LOT better in the second half of the season as well...
Back to the top

If any of you missed it, that was a great game to watch whoever you were pulling for.  I found myself pulling for WKY, can't really say why but I do think they respresent us better at the dance just because of their history.

Tough luck for NTX, to years in a row they lose their ticket to the dance in the last minute.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Congrats to WKU but it still sucks that the Belt is sending ANOTHER team with a losing record to the NCAA's. Sorry to those who disagree, but it should be embarassing to the conference to say "this is our best team"! @ 15-18!

It is too me, people up here around ATL get into the BB Tourneys and THEY KNOW who belongs and who does not. WKU will probably have to play in the "play in" game just to get hammered by a No. 1 seed!

But I will say this, it is our guys fault 100%. They underperformed so badly this year, I hope in their hearts and minds they know THEY are better than this and THEY should be playing in the NCAA's - NOT WKU or ANY other Belt team. Go Owls (players AND coaches), get your crap together and play UP TO your potential next year, EVERY game, ALL game! BE A TEAM, you never were this year, sorry to say.
Back to the top

WKU didn't have a good year but don't be so sure they're going to be in the play-in game. They won't be seeded as high as the previous times they've made it but I can see 14, 15 seed.

Basically what you're saying is the Packers finished the regular season with the best record, so they should be allowed to bypass the playoffs and go right into the Superbowl.

Again, I understand what you're saying, but if it were FAU who had a losing record and beat UNT to make it back to the NCAA Tournament I don't think you'd be complaining.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Again, I understand what you're saying, but if it were FAU who had a losing record and beat UNT to make it back to the NCAA Tournament I don't think you'd be complaining.

If we were 15-18 and headed to the dance, and if I were being 100% honest with myself, I'd say I'm happy we're going but we didn't really deserve to be there. It's great for the teams and their fans - just for the "taste" of post-season, even if they get bounced after Day 1 - but it's not so great for the conference because we have weak representation. That's all.

If WKU gets blown out 90-40 in Day One, it just makes the SBC look bad. MTSU, had they not lost one game in Hot Springs, might've been at the Tournament with enough firepower to really make a run. Instead, they lose one game and it's over. They hope for at-large or NIT, like we did.

I just wish we could send our Hot Springs champion and the regular season champion… so two bids.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I just wish we could send our Hot Springs champion and the regular season champion… so two bids.

That happened a few years ago with WKU and USA but they played each other in the championship and USA won, had they not won, they wouldn't have gotten a bid. I think that was the year WKU made their run

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: