Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Is the A-Sun Better than the Sunbelt in Basketball?....

Is the A-Sun Better than the Sunbelt in Basketball?....

This poll from ESPN.com seems to think so.

Ranking the conferences

Now that we are into December, it's time for ESPN Stats and Information to take a look at where all 32 Division 1 college basketball conferences stand.

The rating system we use is a two-step process. First, we find the average of each school in four well-known computer ranking systems: Massey, Pomeroy, Sagarin (ELO), and the RPI. We then add up these averages for each conference and divide by the number of schools each has.

Massey and Pomeroy are scoring margin-based systems while Sagarin and the RPI are win/loss-based. This helps diversify the rankings. All four rating systems are equally weighted.

16. Atlantic Sun 187.2
23. Sun Belt       213.8

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Is the A-Sun Better than the Sunbelt in Basketball?....

They have done a remarkable job in raising their RPI, and are where the Sun Belt used to be.

Some have argued that the SBC adding football contributed to that because it forced funds away from men's basketball for member institutions.

But the A-Sun gaining three brand new arenas was as well (Mercer, Campbell, Belmont).

And, this is exactly why the league made recent changes in scheduling requirements.

To see a traditionally bottom tier men's basketball conference suddenly be this high should be alarming to those sitting in a SBC leadership capacity. Otherwise, why are we with them and paying upwards of $756,500 (2002 figure and surely has increased) annually in membership dues?

Here's an interesting quote from Coach Jarvis, who was one of just two SBC coaches who spoke "positively" towards the changes:

"The Breeders' Cup is coming up and usually the horses leading going into the stretch many times will win. I'd rather be in the lead. Most people live up to those expectations that are set (for them). If it's set high, that's where they'll go. If it's low, then that's what will happen."
Back to the top

Rick said

Some have argued that the SBC adding football contributed to that because it forced funds away from men's basketball for member institutions.

I agree with this.

But would add that it is the fan base and demand that can help drive the direction.  Unfortunately, basketball is not in demand at every school (FAU, for example).  It is a shame because to me, basketball is so much more exciting (but I grew up in Indiana).  You can do so much more with the budget because you have a team of 20 (coaches and players) instead of 120+.  The smaller schools can put all of their budget toward basketball and most likely have a bigger basketball budget than we do.

We have a Div. III gymnasium.  But I do not blame the athletics department or the SunBelt.  There is no reason to have anything other than what we have right now.  There is a good possibility that basketball will be a bandwagon sport forever in Boca Raton.  That makes it difficult to build something.  Certain parts of the country, you could put a court with no seating in the middle of a cornfield and 6,000 people would show up.  That's just the way it is.

For the schools that do not have football, they are begging to be recognized for something, so basketball can become a perfect fit for those schools.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Certain parts of the country, you could put a court with no seating in the middle of a cornfield and 6,000 people would show up.  That's just the way it is.

Post of the day! :D
Back to the top

No to add insult to injury, but Belmont just defeated MTSU 88-87 in Double OT.
Back to the top
Control functions: