Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt Football: Games for Week of September 1st, 2012

Re: Sun Belt Football: Games for Week of September 1st, 2012

We had a party last night, in which we interrupted at midnight do to an FAU chant, and an FIU sucks chant.

Football season is back.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

That game ended 57-34.  Oregon showed ASU mercy…they were scoring at will.  They could have put 120 if they wanted to.

Yeah, they would have broken 100 if they hadn't pulled their starting QB, Masoli.

ASU putting up 34 points is still good but by the time they did, I think everybody was already tuned out.

Back to the top

That's another thing wrong with the BCS system. It encourages teams to run up the score. As the team sometimes on the receiving end of those scores it's uncalled for. Yes, OK State we know you're a good team, but did you need to put up 84 on Savannah State? What does that prove?

Oregon had 50 pts before halftime. They knew the game was out of hand and they put in their back ups. I say good for Ark State. They never gave up no matter what the score was and they were still able to put up 34 points against one of the best teams in the country. If we put up even half of that against Bama I'd be thrilled!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

so if you don't score what do you do then?
I ve never understood why some coaches complaint about the other team running the score.
I want my team to run up the score and demolish any team.
I don't really care if 'bama or georgia make our team look bad.
Back to the top

I figure there are a number of things about running up the score that really have nothing to do with wanting to make the other team look bad.

It's press, rankings and booster support. For instance:

1) Increase in average points per game, albeit temporarily.

2) Increase in the number of TDs for QBs and yards gained for RBs for individual awards (like in 2010 when Oregon's LaMichael James won the Doak Walker… these count and it's like "free yards so take as much as you can")

3) Articles with lines like, "Oregon is up almost 50 points at halftime." That spills over into SportsCenter chatter saying the same thing, which has both a direct and subconscious effect on subjective coaches polls in the future.

etc etc

If the score was tied at say 21 at the half, I'd think the second half would be more about the BCS program trying to create distance  between itself and the "inferior" program. Even at our level people were causing a commotion about only beating an FCS team by 4 points. At Oregon's level, a performance literally could have cost the program millions of dollars.
Back to the top

NīTE said

so if you don't score what do you do then?
I ve never understood why some coaches complaint about the other team running the score.
I want my team to run up the score and demolish any team.
I don't really care if 'bama or georgia make our team look bad.
Agreed, in the case of OK ST they played every single player they had suited, most of those scores were on 30,40,50 yard runs, only other thing OK st could of done was start taking knees in the 2nd qtr
Back to the top

But why be like WV playing their starting qb into the 4th with a huge lead? Chances of injury are always there!

Or why go for it on 4th down with a huge lead, or why pass it still with a 50 pt. lead?

Remember - KARMA IS A BITCH!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

+ 1!

What they're saying is that there wasn't much OK St could do even if the back ups were in they were still breaking 30, 40, 50 yard runs. You're not going to take a knee at the 1 and then just turn the ball over.

Savannah State was there to collect a paycheck and that's all. I don't agree with scoring 83 pts but I understand what you guys are saying as to why they did it

Back to the top

Jab979 said

GeorgiaOwl said

+ 1!

What they're saying is that there wasn't much OK St could do even if the back ups were in they were still breaking 30, 40, 50 yard runs. You're not going to take a knee at the 1 and then just turn the ball over.

Savannah State was there to collect a paycheck and that's all. I don't agree with scoring 83 pts but I understand what you guys are saying as to why they did it

Sad part is they only got about $350,000 for that beating
Back to the top

What are we getting for our massacre at Alabama? I hope at least $900k, but I'd like a mill

Back to the top
Control functions: