Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: FAU vs Troy - Nov. 21st, 4:15PM EST

Add topic

Re: Game Week Thread: FAU vs Troy - Nov. 21st, 4:15PM EST

Game Week Thread: FAU vs Troy - Nov. 21st, 4:15PM EST

Can't do much worse, if any. The fact we are paying someone to be DC and I say that is sickening, or at least it should be to ALL Owl fans!

Howard. lose the man, he has'nt a clue, can't you see that. And, please Howard, get fired up on the sideline for some of the crap you are seeing (missed tackles, penalties, piss poor passes, etc….).
Back to the top

Thinking about the DC's performance: A handful of excellent coaches sell themselves as motivational experts for business. Let me turn the tables and, as a retired businessman, make a suggestion for coaches: Start with the basics and pound them in. Until players learn (1) they can leave position on the snap of the ball but not too early or too late, (2) they face consequences for bad-judgment penalties (personal foul, holding, etc.), (3) they use effective tackling techniques and (4)  they risk losing their jobs for uninspired play, the Owls will continue to give up 100 or so yards a game (or worse) on penalties. Add 100 yards to the opposing team's earned yardage, and what do you get? A deeper hole for FAU. How are these things taught? My best guess is that for getting off the ball at the right time, 500 reps in the noonday sun of South Florida might help make proper play second nature. This might also help in tackling technique. Let's face it: All the fancy plays in the world (including those coaches install to impress other coaches) are worthless if the players don't employ the basics; a beautiful 97-yard TD pass that comes back because of a hold or personal foul is worthless. Surrounding an opponent's running back is a waste of time if defenders just wave as he goes by and no one makes the tackle. Isn't camp used for teaching basics until basics are learned – and employed? Is conditioning also a key part? I am haunted by the radio descriptions of how the South Florida-bred Owls were gasping for breath (or needing IVs)  late in the Wyoming game while the gentlemen from Laramie (conditioned at 7,200 feet) went about their business – beating FAU. You should have heard the Wyoming network announcers – talk about embarrassing. Basics, basics. Fancy plays? Well, after we master the basics. Here's a scary thought: On one of their good days the Div. I-AA Owls who got into the playoffs several years ago probably could put up 500-600 yards on the current Owls. So could some current FCS (formerly Div. I-AA) teams.
Back to the top

Excellent Grayowl!
Back to the top
Control functions: