Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Troy constructing new convocation center/arena

Troy constructing new convocation center/arena

Renderings can be found here.

Should be ~5000 seats and open in 2011. Looks like a nice place. They're also building Greek housing ("Fraternity Village").

Interesting how much the SBC schools have in common (i.e. commuter schools) and how they're all trying to become traditional universities by building the same things.
Back to the top

Re: Troy constructing new convocation center/arena

not surprised. just another school we are getting by in terms of facilities. unbelievable
Back to the top

owl said

not surprised. just another school we are getting by in terms of facilities. unbelievable

I don't think this is under construction yet.  I know they are planning it, but I don't think they have the funding yet to start building.
Back to the top

That is a sweet rendetion.

I hope that in time we will also be able to add a convocation center to complete the Innovation Village concept. 
Back to the top

Bytor said

I hope that in time we will also be able to add a convocation center to complete the Innovation Village concept.

Isn't that the plan a few years after the stadium is complete? We'll have to have a much bigger basketball arena if we intend on moving to a bigger conference. I always thought there was a plan for a Conv Center and the burrow would become the nicest Womens Volleyball gym in the nation.
Back to the top

Looks great. It will be a nice addition for Troy.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Bytor said

Isn't that the plan a few years after the stadium is complete? We'll have to have a much bigger basketball arena if we intend on moving to a bigger conference. I always thought there was a plan for a Conv Center and the burrow would become the nicest Womens Volleyball gym in the nation.

There is definitely a plan to build a new basketball arena/convocation center. From Angelos' blog:

We do have a placeholder in the overall master plan that would involve a basketball arena/convocation center. When I first arrived at the Institution they had a planned 15,000 seat basketball arena. Myself and President Brogan agreed that was way too much and we scaled it down to around a 10,000 seat basketball arena. Therefore, when we get around to building a basketball arena it is my hope it will hold approximately 10,000 fans. I think that is about the right size for us as we build for the next 30 years.

I'm fine with 10k… I think UF's is only 12k. Considering that we aren't filling the Burrow though, it's hard to argue for an upgrade based on attendance - although I think UCF's basketball attendance doubled when they built the new arena. The present argument is more based on ability to host conventions, concerts and graduations. I know right now everyone's clamoring for more graduation tickets… if we had a bigger arena you could invite anyone you wanted… we'd have the space.

I've read 2012-2013 for the new arena but then again a new baseball stadium may come first:

When I first got here, I put together a master plan for facilities that I thought needed to be built in order to make this a first-class athletic department. We have started with a 4.5 million track, a 11 million renovation of the arena, we are beginning some upgrades on the baseball field, and also spent a lot of time trying to build a football stadium. Once we get the football stadium built, I would like to renovate our baseball stadium, build a new 10,000 seat basketball arena, build an on-campus tennis facility, and expand the Oxley Center, specifically the strength room. We have outlined the plans for each one of those facilities as well as approximate costs and I do promote that at any time knowing that it just takes someone coming forth with enough money to help this become a reality.
Back to the top

Cameron Indoor (Where Duke plays) only holds about 9300 people. We don't need anything huge. Actually even 6,000-7500 seats for basketball would be MORE than enough. If it's a large arena then it takes away from the atmosphere of the crowd.

If we keep winning maybe we'll see over 3,000 people at a game for the first time EVER

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

owl said

I don't think this is under construction yet.  I know they are planning it, but I don't think they have the funding yet to start building.

we DO have the funding as a matter of fact.  our beat writer, Drew Champlin was on the radio today talking about it.  construction will begin soon and we're shooting for a 2011 basketball season opening.  of course, that's pushing it…im sure weather will delay it a bit longer.

"This is Troy's conference. We just play in it. There are some people who claim that no one can separate themselves in the SBC on talent alone. They are wrong." - CajunNation
Back to the top

Trojan said

we DO have the funding as a matter of fact.  our beat writer, Drew Champlin was on the radio today talking about it.  construction will begin soon and we're shooting for a 2011 basketball season opening.  of course, that's pushing it…im sure weather will delay it a bit longer.

Excellent. Congrats. Was the funding from a naming rights deal or booster philanthropy?
Back to the top
Control functions: