Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Day Thread: FAU vs MSU - Sept. 11th 12:00PM EST

Add topic

Re: Game Day Thread: FAU vs MSU - Sept. 11th 12:00PM EST

Game Day Thread: FAU vs MSU - Sept. 11th 12:00PM EST

TeamBeer, well said.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

FAUalumfan said

dusky256fc said

As far as I know, MSU refused to play at Lockhart (since technically the on campus stadium was supposed to exist by now), so that's the main reason this game was at a neutral site.  I don't think you would have gotten the same crowd at Dolphin Stadium, but you would have saved a lot of money on travel.  I certainly think that Ford Field attendance is an epic fail for the home team (FAU) considering the $2M FAU was supposed to get from a sellout was going straight to the stadium.  I have no idea what they will net, but certainly no where near $2M since that was based on a sellout crowd.  The worst part about the attendance being so poor is that I believe FAU turned down a $1.5M guarantee for a promoter to take over the game and do all the marketing, ticket sales, etc.  No risk for FAU, just cash.  I guess Angelos thought his gigantic marketing department of ONE person could do the same job, or that MSU fans would just flock to the beautiful city of Detroit without anyone lifting a hand to market the game until it was too late.  If this is any indication of how things look for the future, FAU is in dire need of a management overhaul.  Decisions based on greed rather than logic won't help this financially floundering athletics department.  It's really a shame since this university and athletics department has so much potential, but can't seem to get it right.  On the upside, some of their teams are still quite successful despite the seeming lack of management and proper staffing within the department.

The play on the field looks like more of the same.  The lack of discipline within the coaching staff has been evident for quite some time, and has been their Achilles heel the last couple years.  While it would be nice to beat a team like MSU, conference play is what they need to focus on now.  Hopefully someone can round up the troops before Sun Belt play starts since it's still anyone's game within the SBC!!

First post and completely wrong welcome to the board.

First post doesn't mean first time on this board, or that I'm ignorant about the team and FAU. It just means I found something I felt opinionated enough about that I wanted to post on.  Posting your life away doesn't make you any more credible than the next guy.

I was in a bad mood when I posted that so I apologize, welcome to the board although I still disagree with your opinion.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I was in a bad mood when I posted that so I apologize, welcome to the board although I still disagree with your opinion.

Quite alright, ditto to bad mood during my post as well (as it appears we all were).  We are all entitled to an opinion, and to disagree with said opinion, it's how blogs like this thrive  :)
Back to the top

FAU Sports

Schnellenberger apologizes for not going for TD

By Ted Hutton
September 12, 2010 06:41 PM

Well, fans were not the only ones that thought FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger made a mistake by kicking a field goal instead of going for a touchdown late in Saturaday's game.

He agreed.

The Voice fessed up after Sunday's practice — saying he had called the team and assistant coaches together and apologized to them for that decision.

"I had made a mistake in the way I handled that and wanted to apologize to them. As head coach, my job is to give them the best chance to win, and I didn’t allow them to do that."

The players were upset with him, and he said "they should have been."

But as far as the basis for his decision to kick the field goal, he said, "I don't want to get into that. It was head coach thinking and I don't want it to sound like an excuse for what was a bad decision."

OK, take a deep breath. The Voice has apologized, first to the team, and now to Owl Country.

You all were right – it was a bad move. I am not going to get into his head, but I think it says a lot that he owned up to it and told his players he was sorry for letting them down.

I think this is what most of us sought. A great coach admitted his mistake. He has made an effort to heal the team's mental wounds. That is smart and classy, and shows his integrity.
Back to the top

Howard made a blunder, sure.  Not his first on similar matters (remember the choice to kick the extra point vs. Colgate late in '03 when we could have made it 36-25, making it a TD and a FG game instead of 36-24, still needing 2 TD's?) but not something that should have anyone calling for his head as long as it isn't repeated.

This year's team looks a lot better than most people expected so far.  We beat a 14 point favorite on the road just a week ago, and while we were clearly outmanned up front against Michigan State, put up a much better fight than most people expected, including here.

There's 7 win (6 in conference) potential here if they get it together, and that likely means another bowl trip if it happens. 
Back to the top

For all intents and purposes, this was an away game for us. Only difference is the team wore their colors. The Sunbelt refs certainly didn't give us any special treatment. If this had been an actual home game, who knows. We also didn't have the heat and humidity like in the Minnesota victory.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

For all intents and purposes, this was an away game for us. Only difference is the team wore their colors. The Sunbelt refs certainly didn't give us any special treatment. If this had been an actual home game, who knows. We also didn't have the heat and humidity like in the Minnesota victory.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: