Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference shake ups continue

Add topic

Re: Conference shake ups continue

Conference shake ups continue

Will these COLLEGIATE conferences at least have the decency to change their names when the reshuffling ot teams is completed. Examples; the BigEast Conference with a team from Texas? the PAC16 Conference with teams from Oklahoma?

It is an insult to basic education to retain those names with those members who have NOTHING to do with the past geograhic names of the conferences. And as these teams represent institutions of HIGHER LEARNING, should they not want to do what is proper in the name of education (pretty funny I thought! Like they give a shit about anything but $$$$).

The SEC can add Texas A&M as it is at least south geographically and was a member of the Confederacy if you want to stretch it futher (the eastern part is being streeetched however). But Missouri - no (well it was a slave state at one time).

Names like the Big10 or Big12 are still good - but only if they reflect the true number of their membership! Now they are totally as backwards - University Presidents should be embarrased that even my 5 year old granddaughter questions the validity and correctness of their names. Oh I forgot, it is ONLY ABOUT THE $$$$$$$$$$$$!

But as I asid, University Presidents and staff should be ashamed that they cannot even get thier names correct without MONEY being the ALL IMPORTANT AND ONLY DECIDING FACTOR in ANY of their decisions. And we expect college kid's to make the right decisions regarding taking "gifts" or selling THEIR OWN PERSONAL MECRCHANDISE. I wonder if pawning something is actually covered under the rules as is. Oh, if it benefits a player AT ALL, it is wrong. Sorry I keep forgeting!

Go Owls!
Back to the top

So, GeorgiaOwl...tell us how you really feel about the current role money plays in NCAA football, lol.
Back to the top

Ha Ha!

College football is so corrupt from the top down, schools don't honor their contracts with conferences or to play games if they have the cash - just pay them off and do what you want. In the Big12 alone, they pledge they "loyalty" them leave, they sign papers agreeing not to sue, then they sue (or threaten to).

Coaches…the exact same thing.

So what example do the kid's have to follow? Thank God we are not on that level and have to worry about such things - yet!

By the way, I heard the band was great at UF - CONGRATS - I LOVE HS and College BAND! can't wait to see ya'll at the home opener! Go Owls!
Back to the top

Texas A&M does not fit "The Southeast Conference".

Here you have all of these shcools in the same area, then throw in the loner…dumb.

I know its all about expansion and money, but why not try and get another program a little closer to home - FSU.
Back to the top

Does South Florida fit in the BigEast geographicaly, not at all. It is mostly about expanding your market and recruiting reach, building your empire, er… brand.

Which I hope is our trump card in this expanson game, same that S. Fl. had a few years back. In my eyes, East Carolina, Troy, La. Tech and S. Miss. have huge distinct disadvantages there. decent programs but little media pull - and that means $ to the conferences in media contacts, how many viewers they can provide.
Back to the top

Sources say OU board ready to apply to Pac-12

Chip Brown - September 12, 2011
Orangebloods.com Columnist

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
Back to the top

NCowl said

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

Um, basically all three of these schools are why Texas A&M wanted to leave to begin with?

I mean they do in fact pretty much represent the bottom of the conference.
Back to the top

Rick said

Here you have all of these shcools in the same area, then throw in the loner…dumb.

I know its all about expansion and money, but why not try and get another program a little closer to home - FSU.
This could not  be more wrong first A&M is in eat texas only few ours away from LSU also A&M and Arkansas is a very old rivalry game.
Back to the top

Just faking (what grounds do they have if A&M pays their exit fee) (or now Oklahome and maybe Oklahoma St. - how you gonne sue one for leaving the conference but not the others?) to try and muscle their way into a package deal for an auto bid conference. If they don't, they will get left out and then their best option is Mtn. West, then CUSA, then MAC OR BELT!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Rick said

This could not  be more wrong first A&M is in eat texas only few ours away from LSU also A&M and Arkansas is a very old rivalry game.

Whether or not they played the Razorbacks annually as members of the Southwest Conference is pretty much irrelevant to the lanscape of the conference as a whole today??

BTW, they didn't play each other from 1992 through 2008…That's 15 YEARS.  You classify that as a rivalry game??
Back to the top
Control functions: