Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Running Thread: 2011 FAU Coaching Search update....

Re: Running Thread: FAU Coaching Search update....

Running Thread: FAU Coaching Search update....

IF any higher profile (AKA Big6 AQ conference) will take take a chance on him and tempt the wrath of ESPN! Not even mentioned in the Penn St. names.
Back to the top

If he goes SEC (Ole Miss), that is CBS territory and no worries about ESPN.  Also, no guarantee with Neuheisel at UCLA keeping his job.  Right now, Leach can sit back, do his satellite radio talk show, and wait for the right deal.  Don't forget, this guy is not hurting for cash, he has book royalties coming in as well (Sports for Dorks & Swing your Sword)..

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

owlcountry said

BeastOwl said

The question is whether Leach wants to even coach here.

Depends on how much he cares about:

1. A lower salary;
  2. The reputation of the Sun Belt;
  3. The location, the post-season opportunities, etc

1. I don't think it's his biggest concern at this point in time. He's got a best selling book out plus loads of money from Tech. He also isn't going to get the  $12 mil contract he had before getting fired. My opinion is that he just wants to get back into coaching.
  2. This might hurt us but I'd say it's not a huge factor.
  3. Since you're 3rd point is two parts - Location is only a plus for him. He lives in the Keys and what coach wouldn't want to recruit in the area. Post season opportunities might be our biggest drawback, not so much for bowls (because it really isn't that hard to get into a bowl any more) but with the BCS. He likes the idea of super conferences because that could make it easier to form a play off. We aren't going to be in a super conference any time soon so why come to a place that has no shot at playing in one? That is our biggest challenge now.

I do think there will be too many open positions for him to fall to us but you never know. He won't turn down a BCS job but I think we're #1 on his list after AQ schools.
Back to the top

Tulane offers head football coach job to Tommy Bowden, who declined it, source says
Published: Friday, November 11, 2011, 11:21 AM    Updated: Friday, November 11, 2011, 2:22 PM
By Tammy Nunez, The Times-Picayune The Times-Picayune

Tulane is moving quickly to replace Bob Toledo and fill the head football coach position. According to a source familiar with the search, the Green Wave offered the job to former head coach Tommy Bowden, who declined it.

Neither Tulane athletic director Rick Dickson nor school president Scott Cowen will comment on any aspect of the coaching search.

Bowden coached at Tulane from 1997-1998 and ran up a record of 18-4 (.818 winning percentage), the second highest winning percentage in Tulane history. H.T. Summersgill, who coached 1900-01 went 10-1 in two years for a .909 percentage.

Back to the top

Interesting...turns down a former stomping ground to hold out for "something bigger"...
Back to the top

I wish FAU would focus on a fresh face to take over the program.  I know some people want a "big name" but winning will sell out a stadium more than a name.
Back to the top

WVOwlFan said

I wish FAU would focus on a fresh face to take over the program.  I know some people want a "big name" but winning will sell out a stadium more than a name.

You're right, however it's a catch-22 in order to sell out the stadium you need a big name coach. Until we start winning people aren't going to show up  to see some coach we never heard of and a team that has won maybe 1 game the entire season. That game BETTER be tomorrow!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

President Saunders better announce she has found a new coach and AD on Monday ... and the "who" will be announced/introduced at the last game. How can this coaching staff recruit anyone ????
Back to the top

FAUFBL said

President Saunders better announce she has found a new coach and AD on Monday … and the "who" will be announced/introduced at the last game. How can this coaching staff recruit anyone ????

Yep - with the new stadium we are still falling behind the recruiting game for next year, already losing players to FIU just recently that we made offers to.
Back to the top

So are Leach, Leavitt and Bowden (Terry) still the favorites? 

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: