Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2013 Class Recruiting Discussion

Add topic

Re: 2013 Class Recruiting Discussion

2013 Class Recruiting Discussion

Rick said

Dieter with a mention today that Miramar's Alex Lee close to FAU commitment.
+1. Rick. Also a good article about going after JUCO players as well. Learned from the best.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-fau-carl-pelini-1125-20121124,0,3336473.story
Back to the top

Reading Dieter's story about Pelini following the K-State model and plucking from the JUCO ranks. Now, I get why people are apprehensive about it (like the whole MG3 ineligibility thing) but Pelini's got a good point: the kind of high school guys we'd bring in would be projects. They always have been.

He's right that we'd get better production out of plug-and-play guys because the kind of players we really want here at FAU to "take us to the next level" are the three and four star guys, but we usually can't touch them because they're getting snapped up by BCS schools.

We can get these guys out of JUCO. We usually can't get them out of high school.

So I feel like, if we truly want to get out of being a 1-11, 4-8, even 6-6 kind of team and start getting into the double digit win column, this is a pretty smart way to do it. We're going to get burned on some guys, yes, and we have already, but if the guys that do stick can help us get to 10 wins, are you really going to be complaining about the uncertainty of the JUCO route?
Back to the top

I don't know if their "f*ck up rate" (this is a new stat that I invented, pertains to grades and legal transgressions) is any higher than a high school kid really, we are just noticing it a bit more because MGIII and that DB who robbed a bank were pretty big time players for our program and expected to contribute right away. I'm sure there are one or two freshman on this team that can't get their grades in order, but we just don't hear about them.

There is nothing wrong with juco players and we'll need a good crop of em next year to get those 6 wins we all keep talking about. Especially o linemen.
Back to the top

Dean J.C. OT Byron Pinkston informed me that he will take an official visit the weekend of December 8th.

Pinkston is 6-foot-3 295 pounds and holds offers from Coastal Carolina, Northern Colorado and the Owls. 
Back to the top

City College of San Francisco OT Braden Lyons will take an official visit on December 14th.

The 6-foot-5 290 pound lineman holds offers from La. Tech, Old Dominion, UTSA, Sacramento State and the Owls.

Lyons attends the same school current FAU WR Daniel McKinney signed out of.
Back to the top

Andrew said

City College of San Francisco OT Braden Lyons will take an official visit on December 14th.

The 6-foot-5 290 pound lineman holds offers from La. Tech, Old Dominion, UTSA, Sacramento State and the Owls.

Liking the sound of that connection playing a part!
Back to the top

Chris Nee posted this today, but I knew about it last night and forgot to throw it up because of class.

WR commit Kamrin Solomon will be taking his official visit on December 8th.

Looks like that is going to be a big recruiting weekend.
Back to the top

Right on the heels of the big news too......
Back to the top

Andrew said

well at least we find ourselves is the same group of CUSA teams, and McKinney should be the swing decision to get him this way.
Back to the top

Any "in" is a plus. Just make sure McKinney gets lots of passes this week. We want him happy.
Back to the top
Control functions: