Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bobby Petrino to W. Kentucky

Re: Bobby Petrino to W. Kentucky

Bobby Petrino to W. Kentucky

Jab979 said

Again, I don't work for them but I disagree with their assessment. Why not try and find an up and coming coach maybe a local H.S. coach or a former player who has coaching experience. They're basically saying we know we're a stepping and stone and we're ok with that so Petrino its ok if you leave after 2 years, we're cool with it
 Coachs from high school???? They are a d-1 program trying to grow you have to go big.
Wille TAggert was a former WKU player and he still left if your going to have coach who is going to leave you should just get the best.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

As far as name recognition goes it's a good hire. I have no respect for the man but I don't work for WKU. Just his name alone will help them in recruiting, but WKU hired the wrong man if they think he's going to be there for the long haul. I say 2 seasons max. He'll do well, win games and stay out of trouble and he'll be back at a bigger program in no time

Please name a high school coach who was hired to be a head coach at a division 1 program and was sucessful…Dodge ring a bell?  High school coach, no matter how sucessful do not get hired to be head coaches of college football programs without working there way up the coordinator positions.

Any coach who has GREAT sucess in the Sun Belt or C-USA will be hired away quickly…that's how the world turns.  Let me ask you if we went through 2 coaches over the last 2 years, but we won 2 conference titles and went to and hopefully won 2 bowl games…I will sign up for that.
Back to the top

@MrChadBishop: Bobby Petrino contract: 4 years, base of $850,000. Will owe WKU $1.2 million if he terminates contract.

No doubt he'll be at an AQ school after three years.  Dude is too good not to be.
Back to the top

Good hire for Western Kentucky… actually probably the best guy they could have brought it.

He is a HUGE name and everyone around the country will want to see what he does. Recruits will know who he is and networks are going to want him on TV because they love controversy. (see Lane Kiffin.) They may be taking a gamble image wise, but they know what type of product is going to be put out on the field.

Kudos to the Hilltoppers.

Back to the top

Petrino will be named coach at UCONN at the conclusion of next season….calling it.  Honestly, WKU would have been better off going for Cristobal.
Back to the top

Well the smartest thing that WKU did was basically say hey if ya wanna leave, go for it but it's going to cost you $1.5 million. When, not if, he leaves WKU gets a nice payout and can put that towards hiring a new coach

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Andrew said

Good hire for Western Kentucky… actually probably the best guy they could have brought it.

He is a HUGE name and everyone around the country will want to see what he does. Recruits will know who he is and networks are going to want him on TV because they love controversy. (see Lane Kiffin.) They may be taking a gamble image wise, but they know what type of product is going to be put out on the field.

Kudos to the Hilltoppers.

Completely agree. He should be able to snag some really good talent there as well based on his offensive pedigree alone.
Back to the top

I actually like this move by WKU it can only help them honestly. Petrino is a hell of a recruiter especially in the south and can run an offense with the best of them. Yeah he had his issues in the past but I really don't see a downside. If he leaves which he will WKU gets paid and will be in a great position for the future with the players he will put in place. Plus they will have the remaining money to look for another solid name coach. I have no respect for the decisions Petrino has made in the past but as far as his doing as a coach he has my respect

I kick cancers ass and that's all there is to it..
Back to the top

Well, the downside is if halfway through the season an SEC school fires their coach and has interest in Petrino he's as good as gone. He did it to the Falcons and he'll do it to WKU if given the chance. But, yes, the positive is WKU gets $1.5 mill if he bolts

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I think WKU wanted to get some notoriety or attention for getting a controversial coach in Petrino. Hey if he does good or bad SportsCenter will give WKU football program its 10 seconds on the program because Petrino is a big name coach that mixed his work with pleasure.

Boca Raton Home of your friendly neighborhood FAU.
Back to the top
Control functions: