Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium Deal Dead

Add topic

Re: Stadium Deal Dead

Stadium Deal Dead

The bigger problem(s) are that we showed our hand in what we're willing to accept for term and price and showed other companies just what a headache it will be if they move forward on sponsoring the stadium. I don't like what GEO does but I sure wasn't turning their money down.

This will have long term implications in my opinion.
Back to the top

GEO did say they would give 500k this year in good gesture. I think that is quite admirable and I'm sure both parties are disappointed how this turned out

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

GEO did say they would give 500k this year in good gesture. I think that is quite admirable and I'm sure both parties are disappointed how this turned out
That is good…maybe it can go towards renovating the OX
Back to the top

SigEp77 said

The bigger problem(s) are that we showed our hand in what we're willing to accept for term and price and showed other companies just what a headache it will be if they move forward on sponsoring the stadium. I don't like what GEO does but I sure wasn't turning their money down.

This will have long term implications in my opinion.

You are exactly right. I feel like we can't even go after a deal for the short term. We could use a little cooling off period to see if we can raise the value of the stadium with more TV games, bowl, non football events I.e. concerts, pro sporting events that could grow the value
Back to the top

So I thought the protestors goal was to advance the awareness of human rights.  It seems to me, the goal was just to cost FAU $6M.  Nothing has changed from a human rights perspective.

The only change is the name on a FOOTBALL stadium.

Nothing has been changed at the GEO Group.  FAU just lost $6M.  Congratulations to the protestors who have done nothing to help mankind.  You changed the name of a football stadium, that's it!

…and I am surprised that FAU succumbed to the pressures of 50 people.

I am moving on…
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I feel like we can't even go after a deal for the short term. We could use a little cooling off period to see if we can raise the value of the stadium with more TV games, bowl, non football events I.e. concerts, pro sporting events that could grow the value

+100
Back to the top

fauowl said

So I thought the protestors goal was to advance the awareness of human rights.  It seems to me, the goal was just to cost FAU $6M.  Nothing has changed from a human rights perspective.

The only change is the name on a FOOTBALL stadium.

Nothing has been changed at the GEO Group.  FAU just lost $6M.  Congratulations to the protestors who have done nothing to help mankind.  You changed the name of a football stadium, that's it!

…and I am surprised that FAU succumbed to the pressures of 50 people.

I am moving on…

I agree we should not cave to such a small amount of "FUNDED" PROFESSIONAL public protesters, but I do believe there was much more private embarrassment and resulting pressure from alums over the controversy and the business that GEO is involved in.

But again to the protesters, you DID NOT WIN, you have simply allowed Geo to remain a hidden face instead of having a more public corporate face they would want and need to maintain as a publically traded Corp. You have lost your leverage protesters - GREAT MOVE YA FRIGGIN IDIOTS!

AND I VOTE FOR "OWLCATRAZ" TO REMAIN AS THE "UNOFFICIAL" NAME OF THE STADIUM FOREVER, IF NOTHING ELSE TO SHOVE IT UP THE PROTESTORS A..ES IN PUBLIC EVERY TIME THE OWLS GAMES ARE BROADCAST ON ANY MEDIA!

Do I sound pissed - YOU BET!
Back to the top

I have been thinking about this and I am incredibly disappointed in Dr. Saunders leadership.  With every turn she appears weaker and weaker.  I am sure she is a nice woman, but not everyone is qualified to run an organization the size of FAU.  I think she and her administration and the board of trustees bungled this from start.  How you allow 100 very VOCAL people of 30,000 students and a local population surrounding the university of 2 million dictate the removal of the name of the stadium you will never be able to explain to me.

I can only imagine what her year end evaluation will be…glowing.  This would have never happen under President Brogan.  He understood, that as a leader you never have 100% consensus, you do what you think is right for the university.  Allowing to be coerced by a minority opinion is not good leadership especially with the false facts presented.

Back to the top

Well Dieter and KVL believe the deal is dead so guessing it is true. I was at work all in the evening. This really sucks now because these protestors will have the confidence to block anything the university will try to build now to enhance the athletic department. It will take an other couple of seasons before we find another corporation to give the naming rights. Anyone feel like joining me in a mass fundraising effort to raise the money ourselves. I am willing to start it with five dollars.
Back to the top

Tim said

I have been thinking about this and I am incredibly disappointed in Dr. Saunders leadership.  With every turn she appears weaker and weaker.  I am sure she is a nice woman, but not everyone is qualified to run an organization the size of FAU.  I think she and her administration and the board of trustees bungled this from start.  How you allow 100 very VOCAL people of 30,000 students and a local population surrounding the university of 2 million dictate the removal of the name of the stadium you will never be able to explain to me.

I can only imagine what her year end evaluation will be…glowing.  This would have never happen under President Brogan.  He understood, that as a leader you never have 100% consensus, you do what you think is right for the university.  Allowing to be coerced by a minority opinion is not good leadership especially with the false facts presented.

X100000000
Back to the top
Control functions: