Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Moody Gone

Add topic

Re: Moody Gone

Moody Gone

dusky256fc said

fauowl said

Not one person on here has called out the student-athlete for their responsibility to live up to their obligations.

This same thing happens in football and the student gets negative comments…

In basketball, it's the coach…in football, it's the athlete.

Interesting.

Hey Mark…I did in my first post.  It's hard to blame the coach when a kid refuses to go to class but when we have seen what we have seen the last few years then some of the responsibility has to lie with the coach.

+1

I think you have to look at the fact that we have now had seven players leave in the last two seasons - five of which we academically eligible.

Pretty hard to pin the overall "trend" on what an athlete does in the classroom.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

fauowl said

Not one person on here has called out the student-athlete for their responsibility to live up to their obligations.

Interesting.

Hey Mark…I did in my first post.  It's hard to blame the coach when a kid refuses to go to class but when we have seen what we have seen the last few years then some of the responsibility has to lie with the coach.

I agree the coach has responsibility and I believe all sports have people that keep track of those processes and progress of students.  The reality is not all students, athletes, or otherwise are going to be good in the classroom no matter how much they are pushed or helped.

It is magnified for basketball because there are only 12 guys.  It makes it tough to lose one or two for any reason.

We have signed a Top 100 recruit (Bryant) that didn't pan out.  We took a Parade All-America (Moody) that didn't pan out.  We took a 7 footer from Baylor (Dragon), that remains to be seen if it pans out or not.

We are not going to get these types of players without a certain amount of baggage.  If there is no risk, they will be attending somewhere else.  A different coach will have the similar obstacles: lack of fan support, facilities, and money. 
Back to the top

fauowl said

dusky256fc said

fauowl said

Interesting.

I agree the coach has responsibility and I believe all sports have people that keep track of those processes and progress of students.  The reality is not all students, athletes, or otherwise are going to be good in the classroom no matter how much they are pushed or helped.

It is magnified for basketball because there are only 12 guys.  It makes it tough to lose one or two for any reason.

We have signed a Top 100 recruit (Bryant) that didn't pan out.  We took a Parade All-America (Moody) that didn't pan out.  We took a 7 footer from Baylor (Dragon), that remains to be seen if it pans out or not.

We are not going to get these types of players without a certain amount of baggage.  If there is no risk, they will be attending somewhere else.  A different coach will have the similar obstacles: lack of fan support, facilities, and money.

I haven't been critical of the "student" athlete due to the fact in my opinion the Coach has been going after players who are not academically capable of succeeding in college.  Maybe a junior college jaunt for some of these kids would do them good instead of a ticket to D-I.  Jarvis has appeared to take a chance on these borderline academic cases as the rule instead of the exception.  I don't mind giving a kid a chance…but this is like playing the lottery to fund your 401k.  Probably not good odds.  As an alum…I understand we aren't going to win national championships, but I don't want to be embarrassed by kids not graduating and us losing scholarships and post season play opportunities.  MAKE SURE THEY GRADUATE!  How do you do that?  Go after kids who can succeed in the classroom and the exception should be taking the chance on the kid who might not make it.  The world is not fair, not everyone has the right to go to college and on top of that get a free ride.  You have to earn it by being athletically gifted and working hard in the classroom.
Back to the top

fauowl has a fair point. Ultimately it is on the individual athlete to show up and succeed because a coach (like a parent) can't always be there to hold your hand. I would also say it's a 50/50 deal, though, and I do expect more out of coaches looking after smaller teams (like basketball) than larger teams (like football, though they're absolutely still responsible for them too)

But Rick also has a point.

The issues are mounting, the luster has faded and I feel like we've gone as far as we can go with Jarvis. A new arena might help him recruit better players but the soonest we'd have a new arena is 3 years and even that feels wildly optimistic…. more like 5 or 10, especially when the $70M football stadium is only getting 33% occupancy on a "good" day.

If we perform poorly again this season (which seems much more likely now with Moody gone) and we lose another couple players afterward, I can see Chun looking for a replacement. And because Chun is a smart guy he may find us a really good one, even for what we pay.

I know that every time we do a coaching search we have this financial crisis of "OMG who would work for us for what we offer?" but we always find somebody. There are a ton of assistant coaches out there, the big names of tomorrow, who are just waiting for their shot.
Back to the top

So we will waste another 8 months of Jarvis being our coach when we know we will fire him seems smart......
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

So we will waste another 8 months of Jarvis being our coach when we know we will fire him seems smart……

Well you don't have to be a genius to know that we don't have 300 to 400k lying around to pay him to leave, not to mention hiring a new coach…a couple of months ago we chased away $500k. So you are correct we probably have a lame duck coach.  I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that he may even finish out his contract because of the money situation.
Back to the top

It took years for FAU to give the baseball coach a multi year contract and he is soooo worth it.  But we went ahead and gave Jarvis one . I guess the school got what they wanted and now we are paying for it. This up coming year is  going to be the worse in FAU history..It's a damn shame. But Jarvis' past should have given us a warning.
Back to the top

Sucks he left, was looking forward to a big year from Stef. I will still watch the Owls closely and keep up with things. Hey, I got a 6'8 junior who may need a look!!! lol.
Back to the top

Does he like to go to class.
Back to the top

Local said

It took years for FAU to give the baseball coach a multi year contract and he is soooo worth it.  But we went ahead and gave Jarvis one . I guess the school got what they wanted and now we are paying for it. This up coming year is  going to be the worse in FAU history..It's a damn shame. But Jarvis' past should have given us a warning.

You weren't around for the Sydney Green era…
Back to the top