Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Coaching Search 2013...

illinoisowl said

I saw Zook's name suggested on a news site. He's not coaching now. You can't judge him on Illinois. Illinois is always bad. At least since I've been up here.
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 5:20 PM #320576

At least he'd provide entertainment when he decides to fight a fraternity.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I saw Zook's name suggested on a news site. He's not coaching now. You can't judge him on Illinois. Illinois is always bad. At least since I've been up here.
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 5:20 PM #320576

Zook took Illinois to a Rose Bowl…so he had at least one good year.
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

walty12 said

owlfan1 said

Josh Heupel of Oklahoma fame.

He is an up and comer as co-OC for Oklahoma. Think Cliff Kingsbury 2.0

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 1:47 PM #320556

Along those lines…just give Jared Allen a shot.
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 1:51 PM #320558

Not really the same thing. Allen does not have the same type of experience at a major BCS program.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 2:26 PM #320563

In my humble opinion if you can coach, you can coach anywhere.  i.e. Jim Tressel.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

If that is the case why not go the North Texas route and grab a high school coach? I don't think you would advocate that.

Also, experience and responsibility mean something. Calling the offense at Oklahoma is more responsibility than being a position coach at FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

If that is the case why not go the North Texas route and grab a high school coach? I don't think you would advocate that.

Also, experience and responsibility mean something. Calling the offense at Oklahoma is more responsibility than being a position coach at FAU.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 6:07 PM #320582

If we hired a high school coach….I would immediately drop my season tickets that I have had since season one of which I have only missed two home games.  Thankfully….I do not think Pat Chun is a dumb man.
Back to the top

Guest said

Here's what the coach needs to have/be:

3.  Developer of talent - We know FAU won't get the 3, 4 & 5 star recruits but you have to be someone who could develop the 2 star recruits into 3 or 4 star talent.  The jury is still out on whether Pelini was good at this.

FAU has actually been getting 3 star recruits for years now.

Guest said

The offense is not an exciting style right now (largely because of QB deficiencies),

It's been pretty exciting with Johnson back there. He needs to learn to throw further but he's definitely kept things interesting.

Guest said

I used to love taking my sons to the Spring game and some of the open practices but Pelini pretty much took those away and as a result, my kids could care less about going to a game where they don't know the names or faces. 

Agreed. Much easier to root for the team when you know and care about the players.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 6:07 PM #320582

If we hired a high school coach….I would immediately drop my season tickets that I have had since season one of which I have only missed two home games.  Thankfully….I do not think Pat Chun is a dumb man.
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 6:19 PM #320583

I am in no way suggesting hiring a high school coach. I was making a counterpoint to Walty suggesting that if you can coach, you can coach anywhere. Obviously, I disagree.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Im gonna put this name back in again

Brian Jenkins, coach at Bethune Cookman

Hes coaching right now at FCS level but his teams have been to the playoffs twice in the 4 years hes been head coach. His team is currently 7-1 (with the only loss being to FSU) , he kicked FIUs ass 35-10 this year.

His 3 previous seasons 10-2, 8-3, 9-3

He was the wide receivers coach at rutgers under Greg Schiano and the running backs coach at Louisana-Laffeyette for 6 years.

Back to the top

voss749 said

Im gonna put this name back in again

Brian Jenkins, coach at Bethune Cookman

Hes coaching right now at FCS level but his teams have been to the playoffs twice in the 4 years hes been head coach. His team is currently 7-1 (with the only loss being to FSU) , he kicked FIUs ass 35-10 this year.

His 3 previous seasons 10-2, 8-3, 9-3

He was the wide receivers coach at rutgers under Greg Schiano and the running backs coach at Louisana-Laffeyette for 6 years.

Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 8:17 PM #320590

I know others who have been talking about Jenkins for awhile.
I agree I would love if he was hired.
Back to the top

I would like to make motion that Mario Cristobal stopped be listed as a possible candidate…HORRIBLE coach!  Who wants FIU trash?  I don't!
Back to the top
Control functions: