Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Coaching Search 2013...

My thinking is that Chun knows he's better off with a guy with major D1/FBS experience. This is not the same situation Pelini walked into…we are in C-USA, a real conference with real bowl ties and exposure….we need to make the next jump and that's the top of C-USA …. only a coach that has been there is going to know the best way there….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I think we're in a position where we are gonna have to pick one or the other because it doesn't feel like we'll be able to get the experience AND recruiting background in FL.

If you think about the potential candidates, they're mostly guys that can recruit Florida like crazy (gran, coley, Diaz) but would be taking their first d1 head coaching position. I think it's a long shot that we look at (or get) someone like Leavitt, Shannon or Zook who, technically speaking, would be the total package down here. We are likely to get someone that's stepping up to the HC spot, but hopefully this time, isn't learning the recruiting territory as well as the job. Or Chun goes OSU and hires Vrabel or Fickell and we essentially get another Pelini.

The way this hire doesn't effect recruiting is if we get someone that is well known and considered "better" than CP/staff was. If the hire is looked at as a big upgrade In talent, then there shouldn't be a ton of falloff.

What's great about this is the last time, we had 100s of names of candidates for the job listed here and Pelini was never mentioned! Ha
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

I would like to make motion that Mario Cristobal stopped be listed as a possible candidate…HORRIBLE coach!  Who wants FIU trash?  I don't!
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 10:06 PM #320608

I was thinking the same…  I second the motion!
Back to the top

"We are likely to get someone that's stepping up to the HC spot, but hopefully this time, isn't learning the recruiting territory as well as the job. Or Chun goes OSU and hires Vrabel or Fickell and we essentially get another Pelini. "

Which is why id rather bring up an FCS coach with good track record like Brian Jenkins whos experienced in the whole package and is familiar with Florida.
Back to the top

OWLNATION said

Throwing out some potential candidates:

Al Saunders
Tom Clements
Clarence Shelmon
Jed Fisch
Jim Zorn
Brent Venables
Mike Bellotti
Eddie Gran
Randy Shannon
Shawn Watson
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 1:13 PM #320545

That's an interesting list, more interesting when you add Luke Fickell.  Personally, I like Watson and Fickell both - but it would be a big jump in willingness to pay a HC for FAU with either of these two.  Watson is just under $500k base and super safe as an assistant - Fickell is base salary at $600k.  It probably takes a lot of selling and $850k plus to get either to move out of plum position.

Now, to me, the most intriguing candidate might be Craig Bohl.  He is coming off back to back National FCS titles with a third looking very possible.  He has proven the ability to spot underrated talent and to coach kids up. He has assembled a first rate staff at NDSU without breaking the bank.  His players LOVE playing for him (one of the starting linemen is a friend of a family member of mine - the atmsosphere is electric within the team and has been since Bohl turned them around).  

Bohl has a base salary of $206k, with a cap of around $350k in Fargo, ND.  He loves Fargo (go figure), and has an eight year renewal he signed last spring.  He has been 'sniffed' for several openings with absolutely no interest.  He has said he expects to finish his career in Fargo.  All that said, he's a guy that a $700k base, an incentive for winning and enough dough to bring his staff and this guy could be THE guy.  

'Hey Coach Bohl, what are the beaches like in Fargo?  I was just thinking, you should double your income, quit shoveling snow and build your next legacy at FAU.'

Back to the top

Ronniehuskerron said

OWLNATION said

Throwing out some potential candidates:

Al Saunders
Tom Clements
Clarence Shelmon
Jed Fisch
Jim Zorn
Brent Venables
Mike Bellotti
Eddie Gran
Randy Shannon
Shawn Watson
Posted On: Oct 31st 2013, 1:13 PM #320545

That's an interesting list, more interesting when you add Luke Fickell.  Personally, I like Watson and Fickell both - but it would be a big jump in willingness to pay a HC for FAU with either of these two.  Watson is just under $500k base and super safe as an assistant - Fickell is base salary at $600k.  It probably takes a lot of selling and $850k plus to get either to move out of plum position.

Now, to me, the most intriguing candidate might be Craig Bohl.  He is coming off back to back National FCS titles with a third looking very possible.  He has proven the ability to spot underrated talent and to coach kids up. He has assembled a first rate staff at NDSU without breaking the bank.  His players LOVE playing for him (one of the starting linemen is a friend of a family member of mine - the atmsosphere is electric within the team and has been since Bohl turned them around).  

Bohl has a base salary of $206k, with a cap of around $350k in Fargo, ND.  He loves Fargo (go figure), and has an eight year renewal he signed last spring.  He has been 'sniffed' for several openings with absolutely no interest.  He has said he expects to finish his career in Fargo.  All that said, he's a guy that a $700k base, an incentive for winning and enough dough to bring his staff and this guy could be THE guy.  

'Hey Coach Bohl, what are the beaches like in Fargo?  I was just thinking, you should double your income, quit shoveling snow and build your next legacy at FAU.'

Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 10:13 AM #320629

Exactly. I mentioned Bohl in the old thread, before this new one was up and running. Nobody paid much attention. Probably because it seems as though most in Florida have no idea about what NDSU is doing. Bohl is also 55 years old. He probably isn't going to up and run if he has success. He seems to be the type of guy that would stick around a while, maybe until he retires. I just don't see him bouncing from job to job. He would be hard to get, but a great catch if FAU could pull it off.

As a side note, I am not too fond of all of the Ohio State connections. That program is as corrupt as they come and most of the young coaches coming out of there are probably looking to be HC in a BCS program in the very near future, meaning they might not be at FAU for very long.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Owlfan1  - duly noted on OSU assistants.  I think the year of seasoning Fickell got as the interim was probably enlightening for him.  Bohl would be a killer choice, and it would take nothing short of an all out campaign to get him.
Back to the top

Ronniehuskerron said

Owlfan1  - duly noted on OSU assistants.  I think the year of seasoning Fickell got as the interim was probably enlightening for him.  Bohl would be a killer choice, and it would take nothing short of an all out campaign to get him.
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 11:46 AM #320635

What's the word out in Huskerville on Pelini news?

Any talk??
Back to the top

Rick said

Ronniehuskerron said

Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 11:46 AM #320635

What's the word out in Huskerville on Pelini news?

Any talk??
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 11:51 AM #320636

Well, it's been a tough year for both of the Flying Pelini brothers and their various high wire acts.  The two year old audio tirade hurt Bo greatly with the fans, but not as much as the porous defense, uninspired play and an injured All BIG10 qb.  I'd be of the opinion that it will be difficult to remain in that job if the team fails to make the conference championship.  9-3 would be tough to make a change, but the audio thing and the blowouts last year by Badgers and Buckeyes, combine with a choke against UCLA after being up 18 - I think the admin might call it a day with him.  He is a terrific DC when not the Head Coach.  Oddly, only five teams can claim five straight 9 or more win seasons currently, but it's the losses and the 'tude that hurt him.

Carl was the best JUCO recruiter and filled in a lot of blanks for Bo with a handful of productive JUCO players.  Carl's (and NU's) best connection at a JUCO was with Jeff Sims.  

So what really happens is 9-3 reg season, I think he goes on his own or with a shove.  10-2 and conference game appearance, he gets to keep playing as long as their is no conf game blowout or bowl blowout.

If he goes 10-2 and somehow wins the conf game and the bowl game, shows great defense improvement, it would not surprise me to see him renew up and shake his staff up a bit with two new additions (one a great coach, one a first rate recruiter, both currently employed in the Big 12).

Without Tom Osborne as the AD in place after his recent retirement from that role, Pelini has no real ally in the AD, and the Chancellor (Harvey Pearlman) has a difficult time with Bo antics dating back to a certain game four years ago.

If he gets the boot, there is some movement afloat to get Scott Frost, Oregon's OC (and former Husker National Champ QB, NFL Safety, UNI Defensive Coordinator and Nebraska state High School shotput champion).  His father AND MOTHER were HS football coaches, and former great athletes.  Despite only one year as the OC, his recruiting abilities are stellar and he is running Chip Kelly's Ferrari of an offense with improvement (not drop off).

There's more, but I think that is the core of it.
Back to the top

Ronniehuskerron said

…There's more, but I think that is the core of it.
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 12:15 PM #320638

Wow, if we won 9 games, I think our fan base would blow a Happy Gasket!

Yours is ready to divorce and start over…makes me wonder if Owlcountry40 is secretly from Nebraska.

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top
Control functions: